Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Night Lords 10th & 11th Companies!

31K views 116 replies 14 participants last post by  forkmaster 
#1 · (Edited)
"My sons, the galaxy is burning. We all bear witness to a final truth -- our way is not the way of the Imperium.
You have never stood in the Emperor’s light. Never worn the Imperial eagle. And you never will.
You shall stand in midnight clad, your claws forever red with the lifeblood of my father’s failed empire, warring through the centuries as the talons of a murdered god.
Rise, my sons, and take your wrath across the stars, in my name. In my memory. Rise, my Night Lords.
"

- The Primarch Konrad Curze, at the final gathering of the VIII Legion.

So after having so many balls in the air, I thought to myself, better get my s**t straightened up and put into numbers so I can keep track of everything. This is my 3rd full powered CSM-army. Unlike my my Emperor's Children and Iron Warriors, which is based upon my own writings, this army will be based upon the famous & popular Night Lords-trilogy, written by the author Aaron Dembski-Bowden. I've read all materials released about them so far, and I will do my best to keep it up with the established fluff. Each character isn't based upon the same time-period. I will go into more specific details later. Without the World Eaters auxilliary, the army so far reaches 1120 points.

Here are the list of my content (as of June, 2012):
HQ:
- Night Lord Chaos Lord/Hero; with power fist & combi-weapon. 125

Elites:
- Chosen Chaos Space Marines/Talos Valcoran's First Claw. 5 Chosen, 2 power weapons/swords, 1 heavy bolter. 130

Troops:
- Chaos Space Marines/Ruven's Second Claw. 10 CSM, Mark of Tzeentch, 1 power fist, 1 meltagun, 1 plasmagun. 250.
- Chaos Space Marines/Third Claw. 10 CSM, Mark of Khorne. 1 meltagun, 1 plasmagun. 230.
- Khorne Bezerkers/World Eaters. (Not official fluff, only gaming related.) 183

Fast Attack:
- Chaos Raptors/Lucoryphus Bleeding Eyes' Cult/Ninth Claw. 5 Raptors. 190

Heavy Support:
- Chaos Havocs/Fourth Claw. 5 Havocs. 1 lascannon, 1 heavy bolter, missile lanucher, 1 autocannon. 195.

Ninth Claw: This is Lucoryphus Bleeding Eyes' Cult, slightly mentioned in The Core that they belonged to 9th Claw. From the description, they still wear traditional midnight blue armour, only that they have painted tears on their helmets. Lucoryphus is described to be more bird-like, warp-changed into something he doesn't even himself recognize, but I won't be able to convert any like this. Here are my first official pictures:

Edit: Also should note this is the 2nd time ever I painted Night Lords, and first time ever I've worked with Raptor models. The metallic ones, at that, are not smoth going. Also this is a work in progress, so bare with me here.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well so far so good mate. Seeing as how you said this is your first time working with them, I think they look good. Not so sure about the little flames at the ends of their feet, but everything else looks good! Maybe make the lightning bolts a little thinner as they are just a little to thick.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
DoE

#3 · (Edited)
Why thank you! Yes I wasn't sure about painting dust or fire, so I went with the latter just to try it. It looks much better in real life I might add though. :) So I can update you readers with my current progress. While going through my Death Guard, which I will dismantle and sell now I've managed to establish to myself, I removed three of them and re-painted as Night Lords (a lot of repainting to do), which gives me one extra to make Variel. Does anybody know exactly what type of weapons he has?

First Claw: I've finished Xarl, Uzas and Mercutian.
Second claw: I've finished the squad champion, Ruven and a regular Night Lord with nothing special about him.
Third Claw:The standard bearer is complete.
Fourth Claw: Every member so far is finished except for the last heavy bolter.

Pictures: So thought I go into detail here. As I should say, Fourth Claw used to be Emperor's Children, but when I counted my points for that army I was like "Shit, I don't even need this squad!" so I re-painted them as Night Lords. Here are some Before-pictures. It should be noted, the Aspiring Champion is replaced by another as can be seen in picture 5. These are before and after pictures, how the Aspiring Champions have changed. In the first 2 pictures is the champion for 2nd Claw, and the last 2 pictures is for 4th Claw. I hope that is now confusing.

Future Plans: Deciding what to expand my Night Lords force upon, whether it be army box or separate box's and whether or not to get additional 5 Raptors. And then finish painting what I got.

#4 ·
Great work all around. I really hope the new codex is kind to the night lords, because right now, your army would have a tough time I think. Other than that, they look really good. I have to say that the lighting looks exactly like when I try to paint it (or cracks for that matter). Which brings me to:

Question for the Masses: Does anyone have any suggestions for getting them to look more realistic?

#5 ·
As I've understand it, Chaos in general is in pretty bad shape. :) This is mostly due to collecting and creating, not playing actually. I think my 3000 points Emperor's Children would be better to use then as I got every type of squad there is pretty much.

Yeah I'm afraid that's more or less the best I can do with lightnings. Hopefully others can answer it better. :)

#8 ·
And here they are as individual characters. I am really satisefied with my work here, except on Talos as I didn't get a real Blood Angels sword, the NL-sword you get in the convert pack had to do. I tried my best to defile his imperial Aquila, but that didn't go too well as you hardly see it. Variel is a bit of a wild card as I didn't have any real flayed shoulder pads, I thought of doing him so it looked like a former Red Corsair. I wish I was better at converting models, because I would have made a longer broad chainsword for Xarl and have him hold it with both hands:

#9 ·
One last update here before this week is over. Next week I will begun working at a day-care thingy, for kids to attend while their parents work. Not kindergarden but for older kids who have started school. So this means less time for bad ass Night Lords.

Next update will be Ruven, and instead of making him a simple aspiring champion for 2nd Claw, he will be a Chaos Sorceror and my 2nd HQ. This is how I pictured him after the flashback in Void Stalker, except that he wields a magic wand instead of a sword
:

#10 ·
When I see Night Lords I want to see Rhinos!

:p

I do love the Night Lords Character model (having bought it 7 times), but I always felt like the legs were out of proportion with the rest of him. Makes him look a little short and weedy next to the plastics. And God Forbid you stand it next to Ahriman!

#11 ·
I got a Rhino packed at the moment which I will begin to work upon once my 2nd and 3rd Claws are finished. Oh you got 7 of that bad boy? Hahah oh yeah his one tall S.O.B.

Here cometh the Fourth Claw, which is my Havocs. Model-wise they are former Emperor's Children, that when I looked upon them I felt, "I already got 3 squads of these guys, the NL's got none!" I uploaded previously how they used to look, here comes the ending results.

They aren't based upon any particular characters, but I will try and re-read the books to see if I find some interesting names soo enough
:

#12 ·
Hello guys! So today is not just any day but it is my birthday!!! So happy me! To celebrate this I think I will get around to order Fear to Tread, and perhaps look into either getting more Raptors, Terminators or perhaps a Dread for my Night Lords! I don't know just yet.

Also I showed ADB, the author behind the characters my Night Lords project is based upon and he look enthusiastic about as can be seen here. I got no pictures at the moment, still working on my slog of regular Astartes. I got 8 soon to be finished at least and working on them. Here is a sneak peak as of July what you guys can expect soon. Also now my projects Imperial Guard: Cadian 443rd, Emperor's Children warband and my Iron Warriors are 100% complete. Feels good to move on now.

#13 ·
So my quest for the next big step, which would be vlogging has begun. Today I have:
- Looked up Royalty Free Music, anymore tips are highly welcome.
- Found a Codec & voice recording programs which I intend to install and use later on.
- Begun to write a script, I want to to NOT be spontanious but with a thought behind it.
- Recharged my camera so it can be put to better use.

The idea with this vlog is to first and foremost bring forth my models in a new light other than the frozen images, its to take new paths to spread the hobby and to give slightly not so good book-reviews. The final part is to perhaps make some money of (with commercials and all that on Youtube) so I can get newer models to show.

I also begun with making a bad Intro-picture in Photoshop. Here is Version 1.0 (my edition):

With the thankful help of Erika, a good internet-friend of mine, here is her version 1.2:

#15 ·
I have 3 Chaos-armies to honest, 1 IG. On a individual basis, I'm up to close to 200 individual Marines or something. The main ones are Emperor's Children, Iron Warriors and Night Lords, but I have a small auxilliary of World Eaters & Death Guard. :)

#16 ·
So now I've finally begun with my Vlog and here is version 1.1 of the intro. I think I will change the voice and try and speak up a little for the next, or use another quote. A friend of mine will help with fixing up the logo she said but its a start. How do you post Youtube-vids in the threads btw?

http://youtu.be/Np9wt91f3w8

HTML:
[MEDIA=youtube]wFullScreen[/MEDIA]

#17 ·
Time for update, this is Second Claw. Only known member is Xan Kurus. These are based upon the passing name in Void Stalker. As I understand it he managed to have a full made squad at his desposible. Also I got some new videos up on my channel, does anybody know how to post them here in the forums so they can be watched?

#19 · (Edited)
Alrighty I'll give it a try. I should warn the sound was crappy on the first 2 actual vids, but I will get that fixed for the future.:)

Welcome to the Vlog
!

As the videos are 16 mins, I have had to cut short on much thingys and I know a really good review should be like 2000 words without hardly even mentioning the plot.

#20 ·
Great looking unit of choosen Fork. The lord with the giant wings on his helm is my favorite, reminds me of the evil knight lord from the movie Willow. The apothecary doesnt seem to fit in so well tho, only because of his color compared to the rest of your models.

Anyways, keep up the good work.

Regards,
DoE

#21 ·
Thank you for the kind words and generous rep! I havent seen that movie in a while but it could be about right what you say. Well that isnt much of my choosing as it is ADB to add him in the books. I do think I should have used an actual arm from an apothecary though.

#23 ·
So here comes my 2nd World Eater Khorne Bezerker squad. I managed to buy 23 Bezerkers second-hand from another guy for a really ceap price. 16 of them will be World Eaters, 7 will be painted as Night Lords 3rd Claw:

#25 ·
Hello everyone, I hope everything is great. I must apologize for my absence but there aresome things which has gotten in the way. First Ive gone back to the university studying to be a teacher and last week I was in a accident resulting a splinter in my left elbow (making it useless for some time) and sprained left foot and right thumb.

It was while driving home my bike after a night out in the clubs when a guy walked out in my path and I had no way of stopping. So this will hinder any models to be finished in the near future. Thanks for your patient.

So I got so many updates to share with you all! I'm feeling much better now and I've gotten back to paint now and then. First off:
- I'm 100% done with my last World Eaters Khorne Bezerkers, my 3rd squad. They are not fluffy, only meant for gaming. Pictures will come later in this post to show you guys.
- I've bought the last 4 old Chaos Raptors (only 4 since the 5th was missing in the box BUT I did get refund for that part) my town had to offer before they new ones was shipped out. I've started painting 3 of them. The good thing is though I still got 5 jumppacks, which mean with some kitbashing I got 5 fullfledged Raptors.
- I've bought 5 second-hand regular SM Terminators, which I will start to work on the Atramentar and 1st Company (HH-Scouring period).
- I've also bought from a site called Bit & Kits. From that site I got enough to create 7 Kyroptera (the council of Night Lords first mentioned in Prince of Crows), then the last 8th member in 3rd Claw and my 5th missing Raptor. Still with me so far. AAAND.... I got the beginning of two Chaos Terminators (only half of them unfortunate though. But I will expand upon them.
- I've sold my first Imperial Guard units. I will not sell the entire army (as its too close to my heart) but some elements are unnecessary. I'm also selling out my left-over bitz which I have no use for.
- I've also bought my video-recorder and editing program for future vlogging. I got one episode done only needed to edited. Then on Friday I will record more. Now enjoy the pictures.

P.S: Sorry about the lightning.

#26 · (Edited)

So here comes episode 4 of my Vlog and here you can see my Bleeding Eyes' Raptor Cult! In it you can also see some sneakpeeks for upcoming models and some changes that will occurr with Talos and Ruven.

Then we also have episode 5 here, which is a special one!

#27 ·
#28 ·

So now I'm finally back with some new updates. Here we have a video of my first Atramentar which I made a exclusive first handview on Youtube on for people to look at, there is also a sneak peak at upcoming models. Here below there are some pictures on the way. Also don't forget to check in my book reviews when you get the time.

Also I am in dying need for help and advice about magnets. I have never tried using them before so I'm completely fresh in this area. The reason why is because I'm gonna order some Dreadnoughts from FW and I want to make it available so I can switch the weapons more easily. I got a recommended site as I will provide a link for below here.

Does anybody know which of these magnets are recommended for bigger modells such as Dreadnoughts, and which is recommended for smaller figures like Infantry and the such? If anybody has any better sites to order from, I am all ears open.

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/c-9-disc-magnets.aspx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.