Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

WoT's Emperor's Children Crusaders

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Hellados 
#1 ·
I've started my Crusade Era Emperor's Children army with my first model, it will be the Sergeant of my first squad and the first time I've tried painting the scheme and I'm quite happy with it.

I'm awaiting the first half of the unit which will all be MK IV armour from Forgeworld. I'm unsure what special and heavy weapons to equip them with though, I have the crusade era multi melta, plasma cannon, and lascannon and will be purchasing the special weapon pack which includes the missile launcher and the melta gun.

I'm also planning on including at least one Contemptor to represent Ancient Rylanor and also the new command figure from Forgeworld.

The rest I'm not entirely sure of due to the new rules, but I want to keep the theme of the army to pre-heresy standards and the Emperor's Children where kind of like the Ultramarines in that regard.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great stuff! I think you've nailed the purple quite well there! It may be down to the photo but would you consider further high lights on the face to make it stand out more?

I'm a great lover of pre-hersey set up so you've got some +rep for that! Keep it up!

#4 ·
If your camera takes large enough photos, resolution wise, you can easily take them from farther away, and then crop them down to the size you need the model to be. I mean, if you've got a really cheap camera, it might be an issue, but even my phone takes gigantic 3000 x 1800 pixel pics that I can then resize downward for clarity if needed and crop the excess off so you end up with an image that is the size you want, but only contains the essential element, that being the model and not the background. http://www.fotoflexer.com is a simple, but quick and easy web tool for this too, if you don't have any software on your PC for effective photo edits.

#5 ·
The camera I have, has 10.0 megapixels and 3X optical zoom, I don't know if that's any good.

On the subject of my army, I was thinking of using the honour guard from Marneus Calgar along with the commander model from forgeworld for my HQ? don't know if thats any good but I thought it may look nice.

#6 ·
yeah the magnus model and his retinue is pretty cool looking but you will have to take all the ultrasmurff stuff off and green stuff over it all.

has your camera not got a macro mode? it should have a symbol like this

http://www.autodatalabels.com/images/macro.jpg

#8 ·
yeah turn it on, it alows you to take photos really close, i can get up to half an inch away from my models to take pics if i need to :)

also if you can find a auto function for the white balance that's helpful and lastly exposure rates set to auto or adjusted from the normal it can help :)

#11 ·
A good purple there, and the yellow gold compliments it well.

However, the hair looks a little similar to the pauldron rims; I suggest lightning it a shade to add contrast.

Having spent several years taking photographs of miniatures with a low end camera I spent ages with a ruler testing to find the ideal distance form lens to focal point, lamp position, &c. and discovered that I could set up two identical arrangements on different days and there would be noticeable differences in quality. I suggest not spending too long looking for that extra little bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.