Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

GW's New Paints?

839 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Magpie_Oz 
#1 ·
hey guys I went to my comic book store and I noticed GW paints have changed names. I was wondering which one replaced Mithril Silver? I was about to buy one that said steel on it, but it looked like Boltmetal.

Is there a list perhaps that tells u which paint replaced which?

If not, someone needs to sticky one.

Thanks.

#3 ·
or, do like I do and find a GW stockist that hasn't updated its paints yet. I love the current washes and hate chage so I just went down to my local Hobbycraft and stocked up (don't know what a US equivalent might be though).

... though I have had to grab a couple of the new paints to replace dead pots. I'll adjust eventually, but not rushing it.

#6 ·
They're mostly very similar (or identical) colors, but have been reformulated. So they are different paints. They cover better, go through an airbrush a bit better, are a little thinner, and the lids on the pots aren't as awful :laugh:. The washes are a bit heavier, too, I've found.

Rather than worry about exact matches, I've found the best thing for dealing with the new paint range (or indeed, using a combination of Reaper Master Series/Vallejo/P3/Whatever you have with a GW painting guide) is to just eyeball it. You know a color is supposed to be a dark red, for example, whether it's called Red Gore or Khorne Red or Tallywhacker Squeeze.

#7 ·
...or Tallywhacker Squeeze.
legen-dairy

Have to say I don't always look at the name on my paints: I can barely tell the difference between some of the reds I have, and I normally just grab them and compare for whatever job I want them for... then usually use both anyway and blend them.

For some reason I'm actually a half decent painter when it comes to red... everything else just gets slapped on :p

#8 ·
yeah the colours are different, however with the metallics they are practically the same, I couldn't tell the difference until someone pointed it out. I actually prefer the new washes (well shades) cus they aren't blotchy over flat surfaces, don't stink, and they are darker so it actually does shade, (e.g old blue wash over a blue thing I couldn't tell the difference whereas now you can see the recesses become darker)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.