Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - [1875] Tyranids vs Chaos Space Marines
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-12, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
chaosspace2

chaosspace2's Flag is: United Kingdom

Icon [1875] Tyranids vs Chaos Space Marines

I have been meaning to do this for a while, but here it is CSM vs Tyranids...with a twist. Here are the two lists:

Tyranids
HQ:
Swarmlord: (2x tyrant guard with LW)

Parasite of Mortrex

Elites:
Deathleaper

Doom
(Spod with cluster spines)

Venomthorpe (x1)

Troops:
Tervigon: (Scything talons, AG, TS, Catalyst, Cluster spines)

Termagaunts (x20)

Fast attack:
Gargoyles (x15): (TS, AG)

Heavy support:
Old one eye

Tyranofex: (Rupture cannon, DLarvae, AG)

Chaos Space Marines

HQ
Kharn the Betrayer
Daemon Prince: (Wings, Mark of Slaanesh, lash)

Elites
5 Chosen: (2 flamers, 3 meltas)
4 terminators: (3 combi-meltas, 1 Reaper Autocannon)

Troops
9 Khorne Berserkers: (skull champ w. power weapon)
8 Plague Marines: (champ with PF, 2 meltaguns), rhino
10 CSM: (1 heavy bolter, 1 Melta), rhino

Heavy Support
2 Obliterators
Defiler: (Havoc launcher)
Chaos Land Raider: (Daemon Possession)

First some may notice that the nids have lots of named characters. I challenged myself to create a list which had to contain all the unique models from the nid codex. I was then challenged to a game with an old friend where we would not be allowed to know each other’s list until it was on the board. Here’s the fun part, we wouldn’t even see the deployment. We were allowed to inspect the battlefield, roll for deployment and game type (pitched battle and seize objectives (3)), make notes as to where we wanted our troops to be deployed and then left the room while two others would set up our armies as instructed. This allowed for the shock factor when we entered the room and stopped any form of tactical placement.

So, suppose I ought to begin with explain where we were. The objectives were placed one on my board edge in the corner, one in his board corner (opposite mine) and one in the middle of the board. There was very little cover, the middle was surrounded by woods all round but that was pretty much it.

Without any knowledge of his troops, I placed swarmlord with guard, Old one eye and the venomthorpe together opposite his objective as far up the board as possible. The parasite attached to the gargoyle brood, the Tervigon and the Tyrannofex placed in the middle, set up to charge on the woody objective and termagaunts deployed onto the objective in my board half. Doom and Deathleaper were in reserve.

Chaos were deployed the Obliterators, Land Raider and CSM at his objective. Kharn, Plagues and defiler were set up in the middle to go after the woody objective. Khorne Berserkers and Daemon Prince were set to charge my objective. The chosen were outflanking and the Terms arriving via deepstrike.
With deployment finalised and a lot of “Oh god oh god oh god why did I put that there!” we rolled off to see who would start. Tyranids won and CSM failed to seize the initiative, let the battle commence.

TURN 1 (Start of the turn ‘Tyr’ 1 – 1 ‘CSM’)
So with everything in synapse range we began with the parasite and gargoyles zooming off towards the Bersekers to make that a difficult trudge. Tervigon and Tyrannofex moved slowly towards the middle objective, while Swarmlord, Old on eye, and the venom moved towards the quite heavily armoured objective. Gaunts stayed put to hold down the objective.
Shooting started and ended with the Tryannofex taking a potshot at the Landraider, which succeeded in destroying it. Everything else ran up the board, Tevi moving 3” towards the middle objective, Swarmlord and crew moving 2” towards the now slightly less defended chaos objective and the Parasite closing in on the Bersekers with a move of 6”. With nothing in assault range and the gargoyles unable to fleet (a nerf on my part I thought they could ) my turn now ends.

Moving for chaos is quite short, those around the objective stay still, Plagues in their rhino move a full 12” up the center but remain in their armour to stay safe (for now). Kharn and defiler move slowly up the board towards the objective while the Prince and Bersekers move to intercept the incoming swarm.
Shooting was a lot more active, the CSM opening fire on the Swarmlord (who are outside Rapid fire). 4 Bolter and 3 Heavy bolter rounds hit their mark, but only a bolter round causes a wound, which is failed reducing a guard down to 1 wound. The obliterators open fire with Lascannons on the swarmlord, both of which hit, both wound but the cover save granted by the venom reduced it to just a single unsaved wound, causing the death of the wounded guard. The defiler fires its Battlecannon at the T-fex, but scatters completely off, hitting a tree (must have looked like a loyalist). The Bersekers fire all their bolt pistols into the gargoyles, 4 fall out of the sky but just won’t stop coming. The daemon prince tries to cast lash on the group to get them to fly away but it appears the deathleaper is preying on his mind (found he was reducing his leadership by 3) failing the cast.
Assault, the berserkers charge into the gargoyles while the slightly confused prince watches (just out of charge range sorry wasn't thinking straight he was but for some strange reason he decided not to charge). With furious charge, the berserkers (Now I5) were going to hit first before the gargoyles (I4) but not before the slightly angry Parasite (I6). Three wounds inflicted, two dead berserkers. Remaining berserkers hit back, killing five gargoyles (now down to 6). The gargoyles now hit back, killing another berserker (now down to 6). With Gargoyles losing the fight by 2 and being fearless due to being in synapse range, they take two additional wounds, with the loss of another gargoyle. However, here’s where it gets fun, 2 wounds dealt by the parasite causes 2 toughness tests, failure means D6 rippers are deployed within range of the parasite. Both toughness tests were failed, and so 6 ripper bases exploded out of the two dead berserkers, hungry for flesh.

Now please don't be annoyed but I still have the other turns to write up, thats not to build up suspense, thats just how long its taking me to get it typed (time is always escaping). Will try and post up what I have got done later. But since it is taking awhile any thoughts on a possible victor?

Last edited by chaosspace2; 04-10-12 at 12:13 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome