Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Area Terrain

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Severian 
#1 ·
Right i was speaking to my store manager who is also an offical events judge and he went to a briefing a few weekends ago and was told that you cannot see through more than 6" of terrain INCLUDING the one you are in.

Help me to explain to him why this is so Wrong, using rulebook ref's etc.

#5 ·
I think he means cumulativeely adding terrain like fantasy - i.e. a squad in 5" of terrain shooting at another squad 5" into terrain can't because that adds up to 10" of terrain. I've run into this one before and there is absolutely no precedent for it in the rulebook at all.

#6 ·
uberschveinen said:
Models cannot see other models if they are over 6" into terrain. It makes ense, therefore, that models cannot see 6" through terrain at all.
Que? What's that got to do with the question? I agree that you can't see through terrain pieces unless you are one size class bigger, no matter how narrow they are. However
the point is that the manager is saying that you can see 6" into or you can see 6" out of terrain, but you can't do both. This is balls, quite frankly.

#10 ·
jigplums said:
Right i was speaking to my store manager who is also an offical events judge and he went to a briefing a few weekends ago and was told that you cannot see through more than 6" of terrain INCLUDING the one you are in.

Help me to explain to him why this is so Wrong, using rulebook ref's etc.
Geee, I wish we had "official events judge"s here in the US. Anyways, unless they actually FAQ it, he's wrong. The only time you would be limited to a total of 6" is when you are both in the same piece of area terrain. They wouldn't need to qualify that if it was 6" combined. And while I'm not "official", I did run the Baltimore Games Day tourneys for the last three years...................

#12 ·
I'll re-phrase and see if it makes sense. What he was saying was that he was briefed recently that

If you are shooting at a model within area terrain, and you are also in area terrain then you you add the distances that you are both from the edge of your terrain pieces together. So for example a unit of eldar rangers is 4" into an area of woods. They want to shoot at some firewarriors however the firewarriors are 3" into some ruins.

#14 ·
LongBeard said:
I've always played It 6+6 I'm sure theres no mention of cumalation within the BGB, I'll have a check later on.....
Agreed, I have never once seen any mention of the distance into terrain being cumulative with the terrain you are in. So long as the model doing the shooting is within 6" of the edge of the terrain it is in, that said model can shoot out of it with no restrictions. If the model he is shooting at is also in terrain but within 6" of the edge as well, it can be hit as normal. Nowhere in the rulebook does it state that this is a cumulative number.

#18 ·
I've only played in one tourney where the organizer used the system you described. It does make shooting a lot harder and assault units a bit more survivable.

Game mechanics, I can't find anything the definitively states they are not cumulative; you just can't shoot through more than 6".

Locally, we don't add up the terrain together; kind of a pain in the a$$.

#19 ·
You can see out of 6 inches of terrain, and you can see into 6 inches of terrain. 6+6 should be the way it;s done. Does it make sense? Not really, but it;s how the rules work.

Just like how you can see, move and shoot through walls in CoD

#21 ·
old codex: catachan jungle fighting rules
not quite, they arent old. they have been updated and released for 4th ed. but that is where this idea comes from. plus common sense. but the way its written in the BBoR is that its only 6" from ONE terrain piece.

i would never trust 'official' anythings. i saw a summary of adepticon rulings, some of which were blatantly wrong. even faqs, i mean look at the synapse creature fiasco. or the idiotic stuff about overcharged engines in the BA faq.

#22 ·
Definitely not cumulative on seeing into and out of terrain. It will always be 6 plus 6. You can see 6 out and can see 6 into the next piece of terrain. Let him who says otherwise stand forth and quote from the big book of rules the pertinent passage, the end :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.