Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Fellow Larpers!
Thread: Fellow Larpers!
View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-01-11, 07:03 AM
andygorn

@ Capt.Al'rahhem = Thanks for the info. - very useful.

BTW: I'm not trying to convince anyone about the characteristics of the system I played (I loved every minute of it, but glad to be out of it now 'cos of people's OOC evil as no one threatens my family), just 'sharing the knowledge':

Yes, I did encounter a couple of the "I'm invulnerable people" (mainly 'cos I -sort of- was one myself for a little while -lol), but they generally only came out to play in big events.
Also, the mechanics of the system meant that the 'big guys' could still be affected by 'little guys', as it was based on rock-paper-scissors (with more powerful/skilled people getting re-tests for various things). I remember my PC nearly got killed by a new vampire he'd made a few minutes beforehand, despite x times more skill, powers, retests etc. ago. <epic fail>. Sure, it was hard to do, but not impossible.

We used to have a couple of different games:
Each area held their own 'domain-level' game where it's just the PC's of that area meeting up every fortnightly/monthly LARP and doing their own thing. So these were oportunities for people to do things on a local level in terms of finding out news, building up businesses, taking out rivals, learning new skills, investigating local occurrences, and generally conspired and plottted against each other on a regular basis.
But people were pretty restrained and mainly knew not to annoy people in that the big stuff is NPC's (not PC's) who have to be justified (i.e. they kicked ass + ask for stuff when needed and for a reason, but not just 'cos they could, or until they'd been stopped).

Other people in other local games could travel to local ones (and had to be approved by the local GM each time they turned up), so local players also got a feel for wider effects (e.g. if they wanted to set something up between domains like large businesses, smuggling runs, etc).
Alongside local plots in that domain, each region (eg the North of a country) would have ongoing stories and an annual event which might cross from one domain to another...e.g. someone from another area comes to your local game and says "watch out there's these guys on the loose and they might come here"...part of the nearby local games might then be to investigate whether anyone's seen them around, or reinforcing borders and contact networks to get advanced warning in case they show up (or investigating hideouts if they're already here). Also, if the bad guys from one area got their butts handed to them in one domain, they might just die out an fade away, or they may come to another domain which wasn't as well-protected to start up again, etc.

Over and above these would be a national event and national storylines runnign throughout the year (e.g. a domain situation got ignored by the locals, so it spread to other domains who also did nothing and it escalated into a regional, or even a national problem which may then needed a lot of people to get together to solve as -bascially- a load of other poeple had ignored it).

The national events would be where the big guns came out to play (again, mainly NPC's as these are the guys who really held the power), but also kick-ass monsters, too.
However, the people who were dangerous nearly always reined it in and didn't abuse their powers (i.e. if you were new and ended up annoying the wrong guy -or whatever- there are a lot more sanctions they could use on your PC other than getting into a fight and you always got in- and out- of character reminders about consequences of what you were doing, so that you had a chance to apologise/walk away/etc).

Also, the more powerful PC's/NPC's had badges and were recognisable as such and there was a system of status where people have titles etc so, even if you as a player or as a PC had never met them before, you already had some information about people's rankings, likely levels of ability and who to avoid/be nice to.

Anyway, nice to hear other people's experiences and glad it sounds better than I'd initally thought (I'm not prejudiced about anything -let alone larp- but maybe I was 'afraid of the unknown' I guess).

I know it depoends on which system etc, but do people find there's plenty of non-fighting stuff to do?
E.g. If I wanted to play something like an alchemist, herbalist, or a priest/healer, are there generally plenty of things to keep busy/occcupied? (I don't mind things like "sit here and make potions for an hour" or some such, as I adore learning and I find these things interesting).

Maybe I might try to do the more medieval/contact larp stuff, as I need to get some focus and some activity into my life (lol).
I got a pair of proper larpsafe/approved meat cleavers around here somewhere, so maybe it's time to dust them off and 'get back to the war' (or whatever).
Thanks for the inspiration.

Urgently trying to trace any living relatives of Private Sam/Samuel "Jock" Wilson (Black Watch, No. 6 Commando, UK Army Service ID 2764432, died 10.06.44). Any info/suggestions gratefully received.

"Mockles! Pent on silpen tree, blockards three a-feening. Mockles! What silps came to thee, in thy pantry, dreaming?"

Please check out the HOES (Heresy Online Stories) threads and vote for the tales.
More feedback = better stories for everyone.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome