Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums - View Single Post - Fellow Larpers!
Thread: Fellow Larpers!
View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-30-11, 04:35 PM
andygorn

For nearly 10 years (on and off), I used to do non-contact (only touching with consent) LARP based on modern day vampires and werewolves.
I got forced out by someone being a di*k (but that's another story), but I enjoyed every minute of it..my first character was the longest-serving PC character in the whole system (about 6-8?years).
The mechanics meant that my PC's had a chance to get involved in fights (and get beaten up in turn), but it also meant the PC's weren't limited by what the players could physically achieve.
No disrespect to people who play those kind of games, but I think the non-contact way is a much better thing, as it emphasises the 'Role Play' -rather than the 'Live Action'- element of LARP plus, I'm not getting a heart attack for anybody.

I was also a little querying about the more medieval/fantasy styles, as you could spend XXX on a weapon and some basic armour and maybe a cloak, but then your PC gets killed, so did you just spend it for nothing?
Or would you keep having to play the same kind of PC until you can afford to get different stuff?
Or do people tend to buy a range of stuff at the start so then you at least have some gear to play as most kinds of PC?
Not everyone can afford the big stuff like LARP heavy/plate armour, so does this then restrict those characters to the people who can rl afford the gear...as opposed to letting people have freer rein (within the constraints of whatever the GM's / system / background / etc allow)..?
It's not a criticism, I'm just trying to understand stuff, so grateful for experiences, too.

Urgently trying to trace any living relatives of Private Sam/Samuel "Jock" Wilson (Black Watch, No. 6 Commando, UK Army Service ID 2764432, died 10.06.44). Any info/suggestions gratefully received.

"Mockles! Pent on silpen tree, blockards three a-feening. Mockles! What silps came to thee, in thy pantry, dreaming?"

Please check out the HOES (Heresy Online Stories) threads and vote for the tales.
More feedback = better stories for everyone.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome