Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Battle Sister Costume

35K views 60 replies 49 participants last post by  ThatOtherGuy 
#1 · (Edited)
I wasn't going to post this before I had some proper pictures, but it looks like it might take a while before I have the time to arrange a photoshoot.
I have a lot of other costumes to take care of first. :(

SO, without any further ado, here's a costume I've been working on for a while.

not very good picture, but you can see the light in the melta.

just the wig and some make-up (without the scar, sorry!! :no:)
Can someone say EMO :laugh:

I made it and I'm wearing it in the photos. I could've chosen a better model for it I guess,
but turns out it's easier to make these things your own size (I'm also quite small, so it's cheaper :giggle:)
I won Best Costume at the London Expo with this ^.^
I originally made it just for fun, but there you go. :good: got more in return than I had expected.

the 40kforums community really backed me up on this one. I did it for them.
I suggest that if anyone on this forum wants to make a costume, everyone should back him/her up.
Takes a lot of work, you really need all the motivation you can get. Especially if you're a first-timer.

FAQ (questions I kept being asked when walking around in this costume)

What is it!?

Yea.. I got asked this a lot... was nice when the occasional WH40k nerd came up to me and said "hey, a battle sister"! or something of the sort. :victory: So yes, it is a Sister Of Battle, Order Of Our Martyred Lady to be exact. It's based on that gorgeous artwork Karl Kopinsky made for the Witch Hunters codex. I instantly fell in love when I saw it.
I actually considered Repentia first, but I'm more comfortable in something like this.

How long did it take you to make this?

2 weeks. I was playing around with planning sketches and buying materials for it
for about a year before that (aka doing all the fun stuff first, and delaying the actual
work until I can barely get the costume together in time without reducing my hands to bloody stumps) :lazy2:

How did you make the light in the gun?

(not very visible on these pictures, but the melta has a LED light down it's nozzle for effect.)
It's a dot-it LED light. Cheap I guess, but it also happens to be one of the most powerful LED lights that size.

How did you make this?

Meh, lots of different materials and techniques. If there's something in particular you need to know,
ask me about that particular part only. Explaining the whole costume could take a while.
Usually people wonder how I made the "armor". Well, it's basically foam on a steel wire frame,
treated with latex and varnish. All the armor bits were painted with GW paints only,
in the colour scheme described in the codex (Order Of Our Martyred Lady). The gun's colour scheme is my own.
I find the Boltgun Metal-painted guns a tad boring.

Isn't that very hot to wear?

Yes, it was. But much more uncomfortable were the shoes and the corset. I hate wearing corsets,
even if I bought mine a size too big I could barely stand it. I'm also partial to flat jogging-shoes for casual wear,
so I'm just as used to wearing heels as most men would be (actually, probably even less so).
I might post some more pictures later. Better quality, some repairs to the costume, possibly with added white wings.
But it might take a while before I get around to do it! :good:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.