Game of the Month Aug/Sept '09 - Monsterpocalypse - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-13-09, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Default Game of the Month Aug/Sept '09 - Monsterpocalypse

Featured Non-GW System of the Month - August & September 2009

Monsterpocalypse
http://www.monsterpocalypse.com/

Contents
  • Foreword
  • Brief Introduction to Monsterpocalypse
  • The Game
  • The Miniatures
  • My Rating

Foreword
I apologize for the extremely late review this month once again! I really need to pull my finger out and get these out on time, my apologies. I breifly left as a Moderator for doing this due to studying for the final part of retaking my uni course but I'm back now and trying to catch up on these reviews.

Now, you are reading the 'Featured Non-GW System of the Month - August 2009'. This Months chosen system is 'Monsterpocalypse'. Throughout this Review you will find out a bit about the game play of this game and the miniatures.

If there are any comments or criticism about the layout/display of the review or the theme of the review, then please - let your thoughts be known as all Opinions and Ideas will be taken into account and considered to help Improve this Feature.

Brief Introduction to Monsterpocalypse

Monsterpocalypse is a fast-moving, action-packed strategy game played with high-quality collectible miniatures portraying the most fearsome giant monsters on Earth! Each battle takes place in a city that you and your opponent construct by placing buildings on a city map. Players choose their forces from their respective collections of figures and then battle one another with giant monsters and supporting units such as tanks, flying vehicles, and all manner of creatures. Charge your monster into the city to fight for supremacy, and be the last monster standing!

Released series include Rise, I Chomp NY, and All Your Base and the upcoming series Monsterpocalypse Now. Plans for a Voltron-themed expansion have been announced.

The Game

[INDENT]When the battle begins, you command your monster and lead your units into the city to hunt down and destroy your opponent's monster. To accomplish your mission, your monster and units each have weapons and abilities that are activated by special dice.

The game is played on one of a variety of game maps, which resemble city maps. Structures (such as office buildings and oil refineries) are placed on it to build a cityscape. Monsters and other units battle to the death while destroying the structures. The monster is represented by two forms: an Alpha and a Hyper form. The goal of the game is to destroy both forms of the enemy monster. This is done by brawling, blasting, or making devastating power attacks against the enemy monster by your monster. Units can attack a monster, but they must work together in order to deal damage. However, the most damage comes from dealing damage to the opposing monster by using your monster, such as by sending the opposing monster crashing into one or more buildings.

The basic game is played with one monster (its alpha and hyper form) against one other monster. The basic rules also allow for double monster battles. The I Chomp NY Strategy Guide details other possible battle formats.

Monsters can increase their power throughout the game by smashing buildings and destroying enemy units. When two monsters fight each other, the results are devastating-they can throw each other across the city, slam into buildings, and suplex each other into radioactive rubble! The last monster standing wins the game!

Monsters - The game Monsterpocalypse, suffice to say, centers itself around monsters. Monsters usually come in pairs but you may not use both forms of your monster at the same time. The Monster starts the game in its Alpha form and can be transformed into its more powerful Hyper form at certain points during the game by swapping the miniatures round.

Alpha Form

Hyper Form

Units - these represent the many support troops that accompany your monster in its fights for supremacy. Units come in two types: Grunts and Elites. Elite units are more powerful than Grunt units, however you are limited in how many Elite units you can include in your force.

Structures - There are also several different structures within the game that I've already referred to briefly, these represent obstacles and objectives that can get in the way or be the center of the action.

Something different with monsterpocalypse is how all of your monsters information or units information can be found on the base of the miniature, making it easy to quickly referr to wherever you might be playing the game.

Dice play a pivotal role in Monsterpocalypse. You use dice as a form of currency in the game. Sometimes you spend dice and sometimes you roll them. The three types of dice are Action Dice, Boost Dice, and Power Dice.

Monsterpocalypse is played in turns alternating between each player. Each player starts the game by taking a Unit Activation. Then for the rest of the game on your turn you choose to take a Monster Activation or a Unit Activation. Each type of activation breaks down into distinct phases that must occur in order.

A Unit Activation consists of:
  • The Spawn Phase, when your units in Reserve can enter the battle map.
  • The Advancement Phase, when your units advance.
  • The Attack Phase, when your units make attacks.
  • The Push Phase, when you may move any unused Action Dice into the Monster Pool.
Monster Activation consists of:
  • The Power Phase, when your monster can Power Up.
  • The Hyper Phase, when your monster can turn into its Hyper form.
  • The Advancement Phase, when your monster advances.
  • The Attack Phase, when your monster makes attacks.
  • The Push Phase, when you may move any unused Action Dice into the Unit Pool.
Factions:

G.U.A.R.D. (Defenders) - Globally United Advanced Research & Defense, the giant robot defenders of humanity.
Martian Menace (Invaders) - big floating saucers (and walkers in some cases) from the red planet come to take what is ours.
Lords of Cthul (Fiends) - dark, chthonic entities.
Planet Eaters (Destroyers) - cosmic invaders from far, far away, come to destroy earth.
Shadow Sun Syndicate (Collaborators) - genetically-engineered, cybernetic ninjas created by a vast criminal syndicate out to save humanity at a cost of people and buildings.
Terrasaurs (Radicals) - giant dinosaurs wreaking havoc, trying to bring nature back to equilibrium, often with the help of the Green Fury organization.

DOWNLOAD THE RULEBOOK HERE
(Download Rulebook in different languages here, scroll down)

The Miniatures
The figures used to play Monsterpocalypse come in one of three varieties: monsters, units, and structures. Figures can be purchased in Monsterpocalypse Starter Set, Monster Boosters, and Unit Booster. Feel free to trade figures with your friends. Collecting the figures can be a fun and rewarding aspect of the Monsterpocalypse experience.

All Monsterpocalypse miniatures come pre-painted and the pre-paintjobs supplied on them are actually brilliant! One of the best qualities of painting on pre-painted minis that I've ever come across. They're also pre-assembled.

There are some very good starter sets that include 8 pre-assemble, pre-painted minis with 1 monster aswell as the monster in its' hyper form, 4 units, 2 building, 24 special dice, rulebook, play map, game walkthrough, reference card and a Monster health tracker.

Here are some examples of monsters, buildings, units etc. available:

Stockists

Below you can find a list of stores that stock Monsterpocalypse products that I know of however I don't know a huge amount of independant stockists so if you know of anymore please do say so so that other viewers can be aware of them.

My Rating
For each System of the Month I will give a rating of what I think the game is like (1 being terrible, 10 being excellent).
My Rating - 8/10 - Monsterpocalypse seems to be a very good game with a very fun ruleset and gameplay and all the better... very cheap to get going and purchase your 'army'. And to add to that, the miniatures are all very well pre-painted and pre-assembled so you haven't got anything to do before you can get gaming, a huge bonus for the gamers out there who despise painting. And for those that want to, you can even repaint them, although the paintjob there is already top quality in my opinion. A very good game, well worth the venture to any of you gamers out there looking for something new.

Thank you for reading!

Regards,
Jake.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode