New Player - Menoth - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-15, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default New Player - Menoth

Howdy,

I have decided that on payday this month I will be getting a new batch of models. At first I was leaning towards my fourth 40k army, or a new Fantasy/AoS army. But then I remembered Warmachine and wondered; maybe I should be getting into a new game instead. I have liked the look of Warmachine (particularly Menoth, Scyrah and the Cyriss) and I think now maybe the time to get into it, when I have the money and the desire.

However, I know jack shit about Warmachine. So I require advice as to what makes a good army. I am heavily leaning towards Menoth as my army, since they look AWESOME and seem like an army that is easy to get into while still being good and challenging. Any advice as to what makes a good Menoth army, like what units I need, what units to avoid, which Warcaster might serve me best (I like the look of Kreoss or Severius), or perhaps a prototype army list that would be good for a beginning to learn both the game and the faction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

LotN

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 10-19-15 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-15, 09:02 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

I know very little about this system, however between the two you suggest, I would probably favour the zealotry and brutal look of menoth over the organic look of cyriss

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-15, 01:42 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Any experience with/against Menoth. @Logaan ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.

"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-15, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I have never played Warmachine at all Tawa. 'Tis why I am asking for such broad advice.

LotN
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-15, 07:48 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

That's why I've tagged Logaan mate I know he's played a good bit of WarMachine. Mainly Cryx I think, but it's worth a shot asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.

"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-15, 10:46 AM

Logaan's Flag is: England

Bit late to this one sorry.

Aye, I only play Cryx but my regular opponent played Menoth exclusively and I've played them quite a few times. His main force was built around two heavy Jacks and the Menoth Choir and these have really very good synergy. In fact, every Menoth force is built around synergy and action denial. You may want to check out the Battle College. This is definitely my go to resource for all things Warmachine:

http://battlecollege.org/Protectorate+of+Menoth

I always recommend players new to Warmachine to get playing as soon as possible. I went through plenty of games before settling on how I wanted my Cryx to work. Games can last less than an hour so you have plenty of opportunities to refine and amend how you play.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-16, 02:44 AM

DivineEdge's Flag is: USA

Hey there! Sorry if I'm a little late to the party - here's my advice.

The edition just recently changed - this summer they dropped the 3rd ed (called mkiii in Warmachine terms). In addition, they're promising to do "dynamic updates" to the rules twice a year to keep everything in balance. So don't buy anything because it seems broken - it might get corrected.

I play Menoth - so that's what I know best. I'd recommend a choir - they're still an autoinclude. Kreoss1 is still a strong caster, and Sevvy 1 and 2 are both very strong - and they'd all be decent casters to start with. Jacks are the next more important thing - any list is going to have at least two. Most heavies at good currently - if you can magnetize that's great. If not, Reckoners and Guardians are probably the two best heavies. In terms of units flamebringers and idrians are currently the best in the menoth lineup.

That's models you might want. As far as getting started, buying a battlebox is the best start. You'll get a caster, 2 light jacks, and 1 heavy for cheap. I think it comes with a cheapo rulebook too! But even if not, the rules are available for free on the website! You can play games with just that battlebox against other people to get a hang of the rules. They're a lot simpler than GW games rules to learn, and IMO more intuitive, but harder to master.

I would definitely recommend trying it out! Warmachine is cheaper to play and innately balanced against itself! The player base is also growing!

My tactics articles, if you need help making a new army, or beating one:

High Elves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=112437

Tyranids - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=118886

New Warriors of Chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...=1#post1336092

I have a new theory in life - for everything - from ethics to legal cases - it is called pre-emptive self defense.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode