Question about Chaos ranks - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-09, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

Default Question about Chaos ranks

Okay, this is just something I was curious to find out, what is the higher rank is the chaos armies, Chosen or Knights? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-09, 01:55 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

They are the equivalent of each other.

Chosen are Warriors on the path to Daemonhood, but Knights are those Warriors who prefer to become the Tyrants.

In a sense, the Chosen let the power of Daemons possess them, and bind them to their bodies for easy power, but the Knights are those who prefer to gain Daemonhood by effort of their valour.

In the Old Army Book, they used to be the same, as you could have Chosen Knights and Chosen Warriors (0-1 of each, and was purchased as an upgrade to the unit). The Knights were always the more powerful, because they had tamed a Chaos Steed, and was a Chosen, whereas a Chosen Warrior was a Warrior who hadn't tamed the Steed yet.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-10, 10:38 PM

I would probobly say knights because the gods granted the knights thier steeds

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-10, 03:49 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Knights always cause Fear and have a Magic Cleaver whereas Chosen do not, so Knights appear to be more senior in both the "units not to get attacked by" and "ooo shiny" rankings.

Last edited by Dave T Hobbit; 12-31-10 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 01:05 AM

Anarkitty's Flag is: USA

This question assumes a Chaos army has any sort of standardised rank system at all, or that if there is one it actually holds true across entire units.
I would imagine that only some Tzeench and Khorne armies have any sort of rank structure at all outside of each individual knowing who they can and cannot fuck with.
In a Tzeench force, rank would likely be based on political scheming, and may have nothing to do with strength at arms, so a lowly marauder may outrank a knight, if he's crafty enough.
Khorne would likely have very rigid ranks, that are gained and lost through combat, but again they would likely vary from one army to the next.
I can't imagine Nurgle or Slaanesh followers having any sort of rigid command structure at all.

Check out my Codex: Scions of Slaanesh (Grey Knights complete rewrite)
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?p=959181

And my Necromunda Escher gang project log (with lots of pictures)
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/....php?p=1007914

In our embrace of the pleasures of the flesh we feel the embrace of the Dark Prince
She asks nothing of us but to enjoy life, and in doing so we bring glory to Him
Give up your petty faiths and morals and join us in the bosom of the Goddess of Pleasure
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-11, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarkitty View Post
I can't imagine Nurgle or Slaanesh followers having any sort of rigid command structure at all.
Your right about nurgle but wouldent slaneesh followers be ranked on how much plesure or how beautiful one is

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-12, 02:17 AM

cain the betrayer's Flag is: Netherlands

To be frank Chosen, Chaos knights and chaos warriors don't exist to the norsemen their just names that the weak bellied southmen have come up with. In a Chaos horde your power makes your rank so a mighty sorcerer or warrior will be higher in the command chain then Marauders if there would be such a thing in a army.

I think most armies are just made up of warriors following one chieftain or commander of their warband who would in turn follow a chaos lord, And a chaos lord could still be forced to follow a deamon prince who probebly follows his own agenda. There are special cases where a chaos lord could boss around a deamon prince but they are exceptions to teh rule like everchosen.

Check out my warriors of chaos log here
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-13, 12:59 PM

Alsojames's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaells View Post
Your right about nurgle but wouldent slaneesh followers be ranked on how much plesure or how beautiful one is
Yeah I would think the prettiest warrior there would be in charge, as the others would see him as "blessed by Slaanesh"

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-13, 03:17 AM

The labelling of 'knight' is an Imperial distinction. To the Norse, he's just a Chosen on a horse.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode