Not So Grim-Dark? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

Default Not So Grim-Dark?

I'm new to Fantasy so forgive me for any blatant falsehoods I may speak -- but to me Warhammer Fantasy is not nearly as grim dark as Warhammer 40k. Is this intention or am I missing some key event here?

I've read the 7th Edition Rulebook where it states that Acheron is the Lord of the End Times and that a giant Chaos Horde, largest in the world, is about to descend upon the World. But then, the book also says that each time as Everchosen rises, he is inevitably challeneged and (so far) killed by a good hero. Chances are Acheron won't be the lucky guy.

On top of that the Empire seems to be in a far better state than the Imperium. Its leader is supposedly the 'greatest statesmen in the known world'. The Empire, at least on the outside, seems very united behind the Griffon Emperors. To the south Bretonnia is, while not the equal of the Empire, still doing fairly well for itself.

The High Elves still retain control over Ulthuan and are getting along well with the Humans and Dwarves (somewhat). Hell to me, its pretty much the ideal set up.

Compared to 40k, its not exactly an unreasonable place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 05:54 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Its no where near the depressingly dark galaxy of 40k but its still not great.

The Empire is united but is barely hanging on: invasions of chaos forces and OnG have barely been repulsed, beastmen are rampant in parts and the skaven are an ever present threat.

The High Elves are in decline, having retreated from the Old World (Empire/Bretonnia), having Schismed into the 3 elven forces with a civil war raging between the high and dark elves and the portal of magic (or whatever its ment to be called) almost having sunk Ulthaun itself.

The Dwarves are falling back gradually from night goblins and are generally a pale shadow of their former selves but they are still a force to be respected.

The Lizardmen are pathetic compared to their height when the Old Ones ruled the planet... but that's not a great surprise.

Its not a bright future, but most WFB fluff does suggest that there will be a future, compared to 40k where most things are dying and decomposing.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 06:43 AM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

The whole chaos incursion is unclear as technically we have already had the great chaos incursion a few years ago in the the global campaign Storm of Chaos, and chaos lost, the last couple of WoC books have however jumped back in the timeline

If you live in a city of the empire your life expectancy is OK, but if you stray into the dark wood it drops, dramatically.

The races of men however have hope, which is lacking in 40k. The college of engineers are working to create crazy things and the colleges of magic are vibrant places of research. Karl Franz has done a lot to unify the fractous nature of the empire. Whenever they have to elect a new emperor they tend to have a civil war

High elves (And the old world) are lucky that Finubar is the pheonix king, he has made them a player once again in the old world, rather than mysterious isolationists they became after the sundering. They are fading but as the current book states they can still impact the world

Then again there is darkness stirring in Slyvania, Castle Drakenhof is once again guarded by ancient Wights, balefire burning, Orc tribes run rampant in the badlands, beasts howl in the woods....

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 12:16 PM

The way I see it Warhammer is like 40k before the HH.

Unlike, 40k the empire is a bunch of xenophobic bastards
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 01:09 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

You have elves, dwarves and faeries, how could anything with all that be Grimdark?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
You have elves, dwarves and faeries, how could anything with all that be Grimdark?
Look at 40k, same thing minus the fairies, although who knows there could a race of xenos that look like mini humans with wings.

P.s. you forgot Kislev to the north who hold of most of the land bound chaos warbands. The main differences between 40k and f is that there is only 1 major threat, chaos while sure orks, VCs, and druchii are dangerous they aren't a major. Orks are more of a nuisance now, VC atleas the Carstens are to busy trying to stab each other in the back, the druchii are more of a trade/ coastal threat. Last but not least the 'good' races will actually stand together, unlike 40k when things have to be damn desperate/beneficial for even an eldar or human to help eachother.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

Well at least its not me then. I was afarid I'd overlooked something.

Do yawl think thats one of the reasons why it doesn't appeal as much, fluff wise, to people as 40k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 07:53 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

No, I think 40k appeal more because it has scale, technology and aliens

A million Guardsmen die every day in 40k, I doubt there is a million men in the kingdom of empire and brettonia combined

40K has Titans, Energy weapons, flyers, Super humans, Aliens, fantasy has swords and magic.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-13, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
No, I think 40k appeal more because it has scale, technology and aliens

A million Guardsmen die every day in 40k, I doubt there is a million men in the kingdom of empire and brettonia combined

40K has Titans, Energy weapons, flyers, Super humans, Aliens, fantasy has swords and magic.

I agree thats the reason why I stated playin 40k, reason why I stopped is I could never come up with a background for my army and I got tired of the books ending in similar ways, main char becomes a raving lunatic/mindless drone/corpse/robotic corpse, or a raving drone corpse.

Last edited by locustgate; 02-15-13 at 12:20 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-13, 07:27 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think 40k is a much more engaging reality and the nature of sci-fi and action makes it much more attractive. I much prefer the fluff and novels from 40k... but I think fantasy is a much better game to play.

Having said that there are certainly some aspects to the fantasy fluff which are legendary and really grab the attention.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode