Are Elves Gay? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 09:52 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Fossil Penguin View Post
But Elves aren't Humans, so why would they share the same sexual make-up as us?
They do share the same sexual make up, Male and Female, so the various pairs will extend from there.

Are Elves considered to be other "creatures" of Earth, similar to Humans but with a different evolutionary path?

Homosexuality has been noted in other animals on Earth so it is reasonable to assume that Elves would exhibit similar sexual orientations, albeit with certain cultural differences.

I like the notion that because of their long lives their culture may revolve around "reproduce with one partner, spend life with another." In my experience the two require very different attributes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-12, 03:10 AM

cheeto's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post
It was certainly interesting read. I would both agree with the poster and disagree to a point, though more the former than the latter. There certainly wouldn't be anything wrong with it if that were in fact the case.

However.......
" it also seems natural to me that a mortal with such a long lifespan would surely experience some homoerotic affairs."

...... would disagree with this to some extent.
I would disagree with that to a total extent.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-12, 01:00 AM

cheeto's Flag is: USA

I really have to admit that I never really thought about it.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-17-12, 01:24 AM

DivineEdge's Flag is: USA

I disagree with the poster (the person who wrote Gav Thorpe), and while I don't care about his sexuality, he does come across as a gay guy that has a martyr complex - "I/My people are getting screwed (no pun intended) and I need to let everyone know it".

However, what was said - essentially elves experimenting because they live longer is in contrast to the majority of current sociologic studies - I am now boiling it down to the more experiences you have, the more you appreciate what you have but the less you want to try something new. Look at old people. (Forget that sentance). Elves are similar to humans - over 90% of our genetic structure is shared with an organism so simple as cryptosparidium and here elves look like humans and share language and clothing and almost everything with them. Therefore, I see no reason to see them differently. Compare one race of people to another, and there will be somewhat similar discrepancies in genetic makeup and body structure. Of course, here I am applying my work to a fantasy game world.

So yeah. I have no idea why I posted this.

My tactics articles, if you need help making a new army, or beating one:

High Elves - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=112437

Tyranids - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=118886

New Warriors of Chaos - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...=1#post1336092

I have a new theory in life - for everything - from ethics to legal cases - it is called pre-emptive self defense.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-12, 09:48 PM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

This was a most unexpected question. I too had never thought about it. But i guess it would occur in most societies to some extent. Oh man. Gay chaos dwarfs and ogres, bad visuals.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-12, 10:04 PM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

Are Elves gay?

Well, there's got to be times when they have parties, sing songs, get on down with the other elves, so I guess at times they must be.

Oh hang on, you meant are Elves Homosexual...?

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-12, 02:50 PM

@ silver tabby. I don't know. The asur live pretty constrained lives and for the druchii its pretty much your life of pain and cold and war. And I just can't see a bunch of black guard square-dancing singing cottoneyed joe. So no, they don't get gay/happy. Haha.

I have a new theory in life - for everything - from ethics to legal cases - it is called pre-emptive self defense.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-12, 09:55 PM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yeah, but some of the Druchii *like* that kinda thing...

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-07-12, 12:40 PM

Squaredancing or killing?

That's right. We shall coin a new term - gaydism - happy dark elves that like killing people. And the color pink. Happy elves.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-16-12, 02:19 PM

Elves as a whole are not gay, that is a silly question though it is quite a headline to grab attention. But both the assumption of longer lives = More openness to things like sexual experimentation and the comparison to classical paganism is ludicrous for different reasons. Generally speaking the older the person is the more set in their ways they are, and there is no reason why elves would be different, if someone was straight for the first 40 years of their long lifespan, there's no real reason to suspect they would be open to homoerotic experiences for the next hundred or so years. While simple law of averages would make you think it would, people, and by extension elves, don't work that way. And while it is obvious to see classical Greek and Roman, (as well as Celtic and Japanese) influences in the High Elves' design, their culture is entirely unique and likely doesnt have the hangups of the Greek sexual liberalism, (and thankfully, a lack of pederasty), as Gav Thorpe mentioned the high medieval influences in their society likely point to this. Also a better example would be their view by other races. If elves were gay as a culture, the Dwarves CERTAINLY would have said so given their incredibly masculine and conservative culture and the influences of such a gay culture would have reflected strongly in the Human Empire at the least.

So, no, I don't think the Elves are majority gay or bisexual, even if they almost definitely have gay and bisexual members of their society.

Now the Drucii on the other hand almost certainly would be majority bisexual, but not for any virtues associated with the sexuality, but rather because I can simply imagine Dark Elves not caring what territory they plant their standard.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode