ogre or ork clans/tribes - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Armybook that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

son of azurman's Flag is: Scotland

Icon ogre or ork clans/tribes

I'm thinking of starting warhammer fantasy and I'm gonna do what i do with 40k.does anyone know of any clans,tribes of either ogres or orks that have a decent backstory but aren't played by everyone who collects that race.
like how space marines have many chapters that have good fluff but aren't as common as say ultramarines or imperial fists.

Last edited by son of azurman; 07-09-12 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 06:56 PM

The Dog Boy's Flag is: USA

Well I don't know of any exactly, but as I am sure that you have noticed, much of Ork 'Kultur' is the same or similar in both games, i.e. blue is lucky, red wunz go fasta in 40k and it shows up on Ork Boar Boyz in WHFB, but it seems to be just harda and more orky.
There is more shared symbology but some of them have drastically different meanings. For instance, the Bad Moon appears in both games but while it represents teef and orky wealth in 40K, it is the favored symbol of the sneaky Night Goblins in WHFB.

I think that you can safely rely on your imagination to simply make analogous tribes to what you are familiar with in 40K and you'll be alright, but it is equally true IMHO that you don't need to. New Warlords and tribes appear and disappear in the Badlands with such frequency that I don't think that you should feel too chained to any canon tribes.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

okay thanks for that info on the orcs has anyone got anything to say on ogres

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 07:23 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ogres:
Step 1- buy Ogre army book
Step 2- open to pages 14/15
Step 3- pick one of the tribes
... there you go.

There are loads of ogre tribes, many of which have good fluff and most players don't specify what tribe they are taking or if they do don't really make much of it. Personally my ogres are Eyebiters... which annoys me when they changed the fluff for them in the new book (dammit).

I guess the most common ogre tribe is Ironskins, although its still rare enough. Other then that the ones with good fluff are thunderguts, lazarghs, gresus goldtooth... and everything else on pages 20-21 (though they are mostly
latecommers).

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of azurman View Post
okay thanks for that info on the orcs has anyone got anything to say on ogres
I just started reading the codex but one thing that is stressed is that there are many tribes and kingdoms, some worship the maw (some kind of unholy living pit in the ground bordering cathy (china))

The ogres are similar to orks with the exception that they careless about fighting and more about eating, it mentions that if they can avoid fighting but still get food they will. There's a lot of fluff about them working as mercs. They are mainly based off of the mongols.
Like orks they have a goblinish creatures, gnoblers, as workers/slaves, they are smaller and greyer than goblins.

Unlike orks they have 1 overall ruler Greasus Goldtooth who is deemed the lord of all tribes and kingdoms.

Last edited by locustgate; 07-09-12 at 07:34 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

I've decided ogres over orks but I was wandering if I could get a sum up of the main ogre tribes
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 09:39 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ironskins- in league with chaos dwarves. Lots of fancy weapons/armour that the dwarves make for them... EVIL! Lots of ironguts, leadbelchers and ironblasters

Lazarghs- ogres monks dedicated to the great maw. Many butchers

Goldtooth clan- Gresus's own. Love gold, rulers of all... but lack real character. Lots of ironguts and anything else you want to use (best fluff for mournfang heavy lists).

Eyebiters- used to be caravan guards (mercenaries) but now they are raiders. Grandfather Malron Eyebiter basically sired the whole clan... its one big family and he's the Godfather... just in ogre form. Used to be 'good' ish, now are described almost solely as raiders. Can pretty much take anything.

Mountaineaters- eat rock to make themselves hard, but living on the highest peaks is good fluff for hunters, stonehorn, thundertusks and mournfang.

Thunderguts- love guns in all shapes and sizes. Basically ogre gunlines with leadbelchers and ironblasters.

... there are many many more, but those are what I can vaguely remember off the top of my head. Its worth reading the entries that are given in the ogre army book, and if you can find it give a read to the old one too (less tribes, but gives more detail). There are lots of little random bits about many different tribes, but wihout caring about them in particular it just blends into one blob of "otehr tribes" in my head...

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-12, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

from what you've said i like the mountaneaters and the eyebiters as i like the big beasties as well as raiders
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-12, 11:14 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

If you are interested in the mountain eaters, have a look in the army list section for my ogre cavalry list. It has 3 of the hardest monstrous cavalry units in the game, and 4 monsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-12, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

colour scheme wie any ideas or tips

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode