Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

A Song of Fyre and Mork (Or Was it Gork?) | 2000 Points Destruction vs. Order

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Gauche 
#1 ·
Hello,

After a short time in the lab I'm back with another Battle Report and hoping to get some feedback on my new format. Going forward I will be doing both a written report and a video report for any games I think are worth talking about, I know some people prefer one or the other. In general the videos I produce will be a bit longer as I muse about the game and the write ups will be as short and sweet as I can make them. I'd love to do both short and long versions of both formats but that is quite a bit of work! :p

Feel free to check the game out and give me any feedback you may have, I am always trying to improve.

Written Report

#2 ·
awesome scenario and miniatures, too bad for the unpainted models.
Also, 51 minutes for a video report is waaaay too long, imo.
good stuff anyway.

#4 ·
Also, 51 minutes for a video report is waaaay too long, imo.
Then I'd avoid battle report content producers like miniwargaming, longwar, all army, and strikingscorpion82 to name a few. With video's ranging from 1-2 hours, 50 minutes isn't that bad.

It is certainly a long-winded,
Honestly its not really, all things considered. The game itself is 20-25 minutes with the first 12 dedicated to your intro, explaining why you changed your list, going over the lists, deployment, and your thoughts on that deployment. The last 16 minutes are the after action and your thoughts on things.

as I said the videos are more my way to get as in-depth about the game as I want to.
Personally, I've never been the most into fantasy and age of Sigmar has never interested me but I like the explanations. Makes, especially for a relative outsider like me, certain choices and decision make more sense.

I do agree with you about not having tons of shooting elements in your force, both because if they are heavily prevalent than they will be toned down and this is not the most fun system for them. (Go watch the AoS game miniwargaming put up on the 23rd to see a tourny list wreck with shooting, and getting some rules very wrong apparently.)

Unfortunately it's hard to do once size fits all but having the written reports as a short and sweet alternative seems to be working out. :]
I wouldn't worry to much about the length honestly, there are far longer reports out there and at 2k, even in AoS, its not like the game is taking 15 minutes real time. Between recording and editing there is bound to be more time added on for various reasons.

A few things to consider for future reports:

If possible can you get pictures of the armies, before they are deployed, so that there is a visual available while you go over the lists.

How about a shot of the board before you and your opponent have deployed, so we can have that view before everything starts to go down.

Can you include some text letting us know what the game type is, probably before the deployment. I don't recall if you mentioned it before the game began but if you did I missed it.

#3 ·
It is certainly a long-winded, as I said the videos are more my way to get as in-depth about the game as I want to. Unfortunately it's hard to do once size fits all but having the written reports as a short and sweet alternative seems to be working out. :]

#5 ·
Thank you very much for the feedback and yes, most of the things you listed are on the docket. Getting pictures of the board should be easy to do, same with the armies. I particularly like that because just typing up the lists is a bit visually boring, if I had a photo I could lay text over it. Much more fun to look at!

I will also take more pictures to show when a unit gets an effect and then add that effect in production. So if something gets Mystic Shield, there will be a photo which shows the unit and has a blurb showing them with Mystic Shield. I do mention who gets what effects but a visual reminder is good.

Thank you for the input about the length. What I think I'll be doing from now on is chunking the video on Youtube into Pre-Game, Game, and Post-Game. That way people can know what to skip if they like or if you're someone who wants to stick to the written version but maybe just hear me talk about the Post-Game, it's easy to do so.

These are production value things which I knew were my weakness going in but it's been fun to slowly get better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.