Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

8th edition Psychic phase

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Shandathe 
#1 · (Edited)
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/28/new-warhammer-40000-psychic-phase/

From the link:
New Warhammer 40,000 – Psychic Phase

The Psychic phase for the new Warhammer 40,000 has changed a fair bit.
Previously, each of your psykers would generate warp charge for your pool. This worked pretty well in most games, but in very psyker-heavy armies, it often meant that some psykers sat around not doing a whole bunch, while one or two mega-psykers (we’re looking at you, Magnus – you big warp charge hog) had all the fun.
In the new system, the Psychic phase has been re-worked from the ground up.
Each time you pick a psyker, you can cast as many spells as their datasheet states (which would previously be the same as their Mastery Level) and there’s a simpler, two-dice mechanic for casting, you just need to beat the warp charge value. The more potent the power, the harder it will be to cast.

Enemy psykers will then have a chance to block these powers if they are within 24″, and again, the mastery of the psyker will dictate how often they can block a power each turn.
The new system is much more scalable – meaning that the phase works well at any size of game, with any number of psykers running around.
Perils of the Warp is still there of course. It wouldn’t be Warhammer 40,000 without the chance of accidentally having your mind eaten by a Daemon and your soul sucked into the psychic oblivion of the Warp while your body exploded in a multifaceted explosion of etheric ichor…

Every faction will have its own psychic lore with a range of thematic powers. In addition, every psyker knows the Smite power:

Mortal Wounds are a new mechanic too – these cannot be saved by any means and punch straight through thick armour and even invulnerable saves! Ouch.

That’s the basics on the Psychic phase.
We’ll be back tomorrow with news on one of the updated war zones from the new Warhammer 40,000, and on Sunday, we’ll be looking at the Shooting phase.

Wow! I think i like the new psy phase.
Launching powers reminds me of Mordheim...the rule was the same.
Counterspells based upon psyker position is cool, i guess.
And mortal wounds being a thing will certainly limitate uber deathstars.
I couldn't determine if we will still have to roll random powers of if we could fauking finally get to choose again what bring to battle...maybe every faction will have its own shared-by-all powers?
Only thing i do not like: with ths Smite power you don't get to decide what to shoot at...i can only assume that will not be the only instance. I hate this kind of "forced move" rules. Just like the champion of chaos rule. Are you letting me play with my toy soldiers without dictating my moves, thank you?

See less See more
#2 ·
I hate it and rage quit, at least online! Only joking, on face value looks very simples and quick to use. I like not being able to block powers if you are too far away, placing of filthy witches take more consideration, I like the mortal wounds also, some shit just sticks!

#3 ·
Looks like the Age of Sigmar system. Straight forward beat this number and boom spell goes off.
I'm fine with it, especially since I recently got a bunch of Thousand Sons. Lets here it for psychically animated, dust filled, murder golems and their sorcerous masters.
The only concern would be in AoS the spells are set to the unit/character's datasheet, err, warscroll. I don't want that for 40K. I want to choose, or roll, which psychic powers I'm bringing to the table based on what I'm about to face.
Mortal wounds, I don't mind. As long as there isn't an endless amount of things that can do them. I'd be fine with some Psychic powers, meltaguns and special weapons doing mortal wounds. Maybe some other things and maybe not even all those I've mentioned.

#5 ·
My only concern here is if mortal wounds will be too common. With things like save modifiers accompanying weapons now, previously unkillable tanks will be easier enough to bring down without being pushovers.

However, if they've geared the system to make it overly easy to kill large models, then it feels like hordes are going to have a pretty fun time.

#8 ·
Agree that Mortal Wounds need to be carefully kept in check, but optimistic given the example provided. Smite sure as hell isn't going to kill a tank, and the enemy could even keep its Terminator-killing abilities in check by putting a squad of Guardmen in front of them. However, Smite always WAS fairly low power, and I would have rather liked another example or two from the other side of the spectrum (e.g. Molten Beam) to be sure, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.