The Deadliest Warrior - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-02-09, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

DarKKKKK's Flag is: USA

Default The Deadliest Warrior

Anyone else watch this show. I think its pretty amazing, lots of good combat tactics, history, and just cool weapons.

I personally would rank the episodes like this:

1) Samurai vs Viking (best and closest fight so far)
2) Pirate vs Knight (sweet ending)
3) Spartan vs Ninja
4) Apache Indian vs Gladiator

New one next week is the New York Mafia gang member vs Yakuza gang member.

"There is no peace among the stars, only an eternity of slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-02-09, 03:37 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Downloading it now mate, looks interesting. Thanks for the heads up.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-02-09, 03:39 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

This is one of those shows that I find interesting, slightly retarded (Some of their experts were a bit less expert than some people I know, some of the stuff in the grand reinactment is just plain stupid, and some of their choices and calls are just bad), but each week I go, "Well, I don;t think I'll bother next week." and then they play the preview for next week and I simply must watch it.

No matter how much I want to stop, I can't.

There's some good stuff, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't watch if I didn't enjoy it, but a lot of stuff just doesn't make any sense. Either their testing methods are sloppy (how come one team tests a weapon on pigs and the other team tests their weapon onthe dummy, etc), or the weapons they pick are odd...the Gladiator one was a good example. No single gladiatoor is going to have ALL of those weapons, and *none* of them would have had slings...because you don;t give someone forced to fight to the death a weapon he can pick you out of the stands with.

I also think their choices for the matchups are a bit odd (come on, why not just go ninja v pirate and settle it?) I realize it's probably more interesting to make them as different as possible, but really, I;d much rather see knight vs spartan, or indian vs ninja,or knight vs samurai, see which version of the style is best rather than just going foor the oddball.

That;s why I'm really interested to see Mafia vs Yakuza

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-02-09, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

DarKKKKK's Flag is: USA

Galahad, I think that the week after is going to be Green Beret vs. Spetsnaz, which if you like match ups that are alike to see which is better. That one should also interest you.

I searched up the line up for season one's match ups on wikipedia, obviously not a reliable source, but it was correct on the Mafia vs Yakuza, so I hope their right about Green Beret vs Spetsnaz.

Check out this link if you wanna see what wikipedia shows as the upcoming match ups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadliest_Warrior

"There is no peace among the stars, only an eternity of slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods."
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-02-09, 05:45 PM
Pally-HO!!!!

Captain Galus's Flag is: USA

Why Mafia vs. Yakuza? Neither of those people are warriors; in a stand up fight they're probably just thugs.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-02-09, 06:25 PM

Wouldnt mafia vs yakuza just be a gunfight?

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."
-Alexander the Great, kind of
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-02-09, 07:08 PM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

I watched the Apache vs Gladiator episode and thought it was as bad a show as could be. The "scientific" testing was a joke, the comparisons between weapons were not accurate and the overall practice of testing favored one opponent over the other. When they tested the apache's club it was done on a skull. The skull smashed into a hundred pieces. Last I checked human heads have skin, muscle, tendons, ligaments and other gooey stuff that will affect the blow of a club to a head. Plus the club broke after a few hits to a solid object. It just didn't seem very well thought out and tested. The impact from blunt weapons should have been done agains't a pressure sensor not a fake human skull.

Some shows like these make the cut because the hosts don't come across as actors first and science nerds second. Take the best entertaining science show as an example, Mythbusters, and you have the hosts being genuine and putting the science of the show first and everything else second. It has a rough around the edges feel that gives the show credibility. These other shows put the "Hollywood" feel to the show first and the science second and it doesn't float.

Last edited by Unforgiven302; 05-02-09 at 07:14 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-02-09, 07:53 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

I just watched the first one, pile of shit.

I'm really hoping they don't favour speed over strength in every circumstance but I can see it happening. The US army combat instructor was quite possibly the biggest bellend I've seen on a show.

I'll continue to watch it though because I like the build up to the fight at the end.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-02-09, 08:55 PM

Korrogoth's Flag is: United Kingdom

i've never heard of it, ill have a look
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-09, 04:07 AM

Grik's Flag is: USA

I like it so far. Some of the weapons and how they test them are retarded as mentioned above. Green Berets are badass, but I think it should have been Navy SEALs or British SAS vs Spetsnaz. I mean if you ask who the best of the best are most people think SEALS or SAS for the 'good guys'(democracy) and Spetsnaz for the 'bad guys'(Communism). Either way though I think this episode will be the most interesting one to date.

Cry Sotek, and let slip the Lizards of War!

Courage and Honor!

"There is no good news, no silver lining, only the bright white light and then the sweet release of death." - Ultramarines 5th Company Captain Oliver Galenus

"Stuff sold by the gram will always be more expensive than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode