The Deadliest Warrior - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-09, 04:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'm really hoping they don't favour speed over strength in every circumstance but I can see it happening.
So far, I do believe most of the winners of the fights have been faster; but its not always the case. At least one of the four fights had the faster fighter lose, or the craftier one depending on how you want to look at it.

The only problem I have with some of the fights comes from the fact that not every combatant is going to carry as many weapons as shown. Honestly, going by what they said for the last episode; most pirates went around with at least one sword, two gunpowder bombs, 4-6 pistols, and a blunderbus. Sounds more like a throwback to old videogame heroes like Duke if you ask me.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-09, 05:15 AM

Grik's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
So far, I do believe most of the winners of the fights have been faster; but its not always the case. At least one of the four fights had the faster fighter lose, or the craftier one depending on how you want to look at it.

The only problem I have with some of the fights comes from the fact that not every combatant is going to carry as many weapons as shown. Honestly, going by what they said for the last episode; most pirates went around with at least one sword, two gunpowder bombs, 4-6 pistols, and a blunderbus. Sounds more like a throwback to old videogame heroes like Duke if you ask me.
I will agree with that. The only one that was accurate was the Samurai. Historical records have proved they went to battle with all those weapons. Other than that its like they just go, lets take all the weapons this particular fighter can use, give him ALL of them, and see what happens.

Cry Sotek, and let slip the Lizards of War!

Courage and Honor!

"There is no good news, no silver lining, only the bright white light and then the sweet release of death." - Ultramarines 5th Company Captain Oliver Galenus

"Stuff sold by the gram will always be more expensive than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-09, 05:53 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Bad show ok premise until it gets to Mafie vs Yazuka since once both parties have fire arms it all gets a bit boring. Arguments aside most of the fights are obvious Knight vs Pirate (errrm even a idiot with a gun can kill the most astute fighter in a bloody open field). That aside the show works if you tern your brain off. After all it takes the fighter out of its element places them in a field, and then they fight. The worst was Ninja vs Spartan. It would be like if someone took a FBI angent placed him in a open field with a commando with a ak-47 then graded how porly the FBI agent did against the machine gun fire.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-09, 12:59 PM

Rahmiel's Flag is: USA

The Knight v. Pirate was garbage. I was only told about it this morning and I was pissed off. Im no expert but an early black powder flintlock using a ball shot might not even have the power to go through both layers of the knights armor (chainmail and plate). Plus if your going to pit fighters against each other give them the single most used weapon they were known to carry, unless they were like the samurai above in which case they did come with many weapons. Knight should have won, guns are for pansies.

Berkswarhammer40k.blogspot.com Berks county and surrounding areas warhammer and 40k group. Club meets every first and third Saturday of the month. Stop in and meet the crew.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-09, 02:02 PM

Proccor's Flag is: USA

yeah I have to say the show is really ridiculous and at most times stupid. I do enjoy laughing at their "experts" because they throw out some really horrible jokes at each other and make them look like real nerds for their chosen "expertise." I've only seen the viking one and the end of the indian one.

Last edited by Proccor; 05-04-09 at 02:06 PM.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-09, 04:20 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Proccor hit the nail on the head. The experts do come of as hideous nerds with their childish name calling, and pointless boasting. I was especially embarrassed by the samurai expert. I mean it was like they got the most childish baka of a actor they could find to represent samurai.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-09, 08:33 PM

kungfoomasta's Flag is: USA

so far the testing is a joke as stated above, the pirate vr knight was complrte b!@##%^&* and their acting is gloriously pitiful. overall the show should have been stopped as episode 1. but in the other hand few things bring more joy to my heart than some poor dead pig or dummy getting chopped into pieces or watching a skull get smashed in slow motion. as far as the weapons carried into battle I think that all were historically accurate other than the gladiator. the next episode wont be worth watching cosidering that all the "testing" will be done in the gunrange with antiques and the fight will be two blind men with a guns and a desire to shoot someone.

Never doubt the incompetence of your commisar.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-09, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfoomasta View Post
so far the testing is a joke as stated above, the pirate vr knight was complrte b!@##%^&* and their acting is gloriously pitiful. overall the show should have been stopped as episode 1. but in the other hand few things bring more joy to my heart than some poor dead pig or dummy getting chopped into pieces or watching a skull get smashed in slow motion. as far as the weapons carried into battle I think that all were historically accurate other than the gladiator. the next episode wont be worth watching cosidering that all the "testing" will be done in the gunrange with antiques and the fight will be two blind men with a guns and a desire to shoot someone.
All the weapons have been historical accurate. However other than the Samurai, what each fighter carried with him into battle has not been.

Courage and Honor!

"There is no good news, no silver lining, only the bright white light and then the sweet release of death." - Ultramarines 5th Company Captain Oliver Galenus

"Stuff sold by the gram will always be more expensive than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-09, 02:04 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

What do you mean except for the samurai?
Samurai routinely carried two swords, a bow, a naginata (which was seen as something of a woman's weapon) AND a giant club?
Swords and a bow, yes, those were common, but you don't often see them lugging around an entire arsenal, especially since you can't physically carry all of them

Though speaking of the samurai, I actually liked the trash talk in that episode. I was favoring the other guys, but I think the samurai guy got some good jabs in. "Wow, that slow motion really showcases your utter lack of technique. I'm sure that weapon is very effective on your usual targets of women, pesant farmers, unarmed babies..."

A lot better than the juvinile crap most of the others sling around.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Last edited by Galahad; 05-05-09 at 04:21 AM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-09, 02:23 AM

Oh yeah my bad. I forgot about the giant club. lol
But take that out and they did carry the staff thing, a bow and two swords into battle. It was the closest one so far, as to what would actually be carried on a single person into battle.

Courage and Honor!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode