Watchmen - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-09, 03:53 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Remember guys, [spoiler] tags, when discussing plot twists and endings, please

And yeah, the guy playing Ozzy was just a bit too scrawny. This is supposed to be the peak of human condition and he looked like a pencil neck.

He was also way too detached. Ozzy got really excited at the end of the comic.

All in all though, it was a fantastic bit of film.

Can;t wait for the DVD though

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-09, 04:03 PM

Baalirock's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Remember guys, [spoiler] tags, when discussing plot twists and endings, please
Sorry about that! I was trying to keep things pretty vague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Can;t wait for the DVD though
Strongly agreed! I have heard that

"Free yourself from yourself". -MJK

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-09, 04:11 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Quite alright, just wanted to be sure not to spoil things for people who haven;t seen/read it.

"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-09, 04:26 PM

Revelations's Flag is: USA

I thought it was *interesting*. I don't have a lot of time to read many things, and when I keep hearing people say many an angry comment on the transition piece from book to film, it makes me glad I didn't read the original. Except in the case of LotR; but then I really only hate Liv Tyler... but anyway... I'm going into it with only a brief introduction to the genre and no specific interpretations from the comic series...

Rorshak was by far the best character in the movie.

These are the things I felt were missing...

All in all though, I thought it was very well done. And I'd suggest it to anyone who enjoys that type of movie. It's refreshing to see a movie put effort into concepts that engage the viewer and make them think instead of just getting them to shut their brains off while watching pretty lights for 2ish hours. I'm anxious to see the extended version, suppose to have 20min+ of additional footage... maybe it will shed some lights on certain events.

Pondering...
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-09, 04:45 PM
Executive Nitpicker

You should read the comic sometime, the movie was actually really faithful, just small changes really.

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-10-09, 11:52 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

I say meh to the film. Maybe its not to the film maybe its just to the book.

I love comics, yet I was never a big fan of "Watchmen." The book never really spoke to me the way it did to other people.

I guess with that being said, the film was actually very well done. True enough to the story, which is much more difficult when its to a single story rather then a character, yet different enough to make it more enjoyable to watch on the big screen.

I'd give it a 78 out of 100.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-09, 05:28 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

I have to say I really enjoyed the film, though I've never read the comic. A friend of mine thought it was crap. It's probably more of a polarising movie than most, people will love it or hate it for a number of reasons.

It was such a different take on the normal super hero genera that I could see why a lot of people wouldn't like it - it's really more a dystopian tale than a super hero thing. Much more politics, drama and people, much less comedy/action and taking on super-villans. So anyone going wanting a Spielberg flick and getting something more like a George Orwell story will probably be very disappointed.

There are other reasons you mightn't like it too though - don't get me wrong, I'm not saying only lightweights won't like this movie - but for me it just seemed like a much more realistic and meaningful story than you'd usually get. I liked it.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 03-11-09 at 05:32 AM.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-11-09, 02:26 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Yeah, I think if anyone has cause to complain about the film it's entirely because the story didn't sit well with them. Which is understandable, it's an unsettling theme

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-09, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

xiawujing's Flag is: USA

Very true. The whole thing was unsettling. Its not an outcome anyone wanted, but its one they have to stick with for the good of billions of lives.

And if y'all feel that's a spoiler, my apologies, I don't know the spoiler tag codes.

I'll give you a hint...it's [spoiler] like I said earlier in the thread ;-) Remember, the end tag has a / in front of the word -G

Last edited by Galahad; 03-14-09 at 03:17 AM.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-18-09, 01:56 AM

Manhattan having his knob out is kind of a symptom of his detachment from humanity. He doesn't care if you are bothered by it, because he doesn't care about you. It's CGI anyway.

I don't know why they bothered ramping up the violence, and they really did. I saw it at an imax and while the effects were great, but I just didn't see the point in some of them. Watchmen is not meant to be primarily about violence and I think it actually detracts from the story. I do not need to see nite owl breaking a guy's arm and the bone sticking in my face. It means nothing. It's like they decided they were going to have an 18/R certificate anyway, so what the hell.

I don't have any complaints about what was missing and I think that in many ways the film holds together at least as well as the book, especially with the new ending. I liked lots about the ending to Watchmen but not the squid, and the replacement was both more believable and also more well rounded within the story.

Rorschach and the Comedian stole the show and were both excellent. Nite owl was fine, as was Jon and Silk Spectre. The changes to Nite owl's costume made him look less ridiculous, which to my mind was always kind of the point, and I think they went too far with Silk Spectre's get up. Ozymandias was the character my friends and I talked about most after the film, because we weren't sure if he was very cool or reall messed up. Actually I don't think the book gives them all that much to work with as we don't get an origin story for him, and the result was interesting.

I read a review (written by a man as it happens) where they said the women had been very much reduced from heroines to victims in the adaptation. I don't think it's necessarily as simple as that and Silk Spectre certainly has opportunities to do her thing. She's messed up, but so is everyone else. I dunno.

Overall it was a very entertaining film, and not just a forgettable actioner. I'd recommend it to people, but the book is just better in every way.

One other major complaint: I draw the line at MCR covering desolation row. In fact, I draw the line way, way earlier than that. The soundtrack was actually pretty interesting throughout I thought, if a bit try-hard, but then they flipped it on its head with this. I suppose it was one for the marketing guys.

You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
Black Legion, Sisters WIP, Feudal IG WIP.

Last edited by Someguy; 03-18-09 at 02:10 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode