Top Gear - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-09, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

Default Top Gear

I have been watching Top Gear on BBC America, and I must say it is one of my favorite shows now. Unfortunately they chop and cut the show up to fit American tv standards, (it feels like commercials are 40% of a damn program these days) but otherwise it is good. I only wish half the cars they thrash about in were either legal for sale here or cheap enough to actually purchase. The only real down side is that I haven't a clue as to who most of the guests they have on actually are, but after all it is a British based show and I am in America.

A couple of questions have come up since my wife, son and I started watching the show. So, for my friends from across the pond, I have a few of questions...

1) What is the "congestion tax" and how does that work? From what was shown, you have to pay this every time you drive in the city of London?

2) Who is the Stig really? Someone's got to know...

3) Is it really Jeremy, Richard and James driving those cars or is it a stunt double doing all the "fancy" driving?

4) Is Richard Hammond as big a wanker as he looks? He reminds me of a used car salesman or one of those ambulance chasing lawyers that advertise on tv.

I had more questions but I forgot them... Damn I'm dumb at times.
That's about it really. Thanks.

Last edited by Unforgiven302; 02-16-09 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-09, 09:28 AM

Grik's Flag is: USA

There is a much better way to get Top Gear than BBC America. I Pm'ed you all the details.

1) not sure but I'm guessing it may be the opposite of our eco-friendly cars tax break. So you pay for driving a non eco-friendly car or something like that. but just in the city limits of London itself.
2) I heard it was a BTCC(British Touring Car Championship) driver by the name of Ben somebody. I forget his last name but I want to say it is Ben Wallace or Williams something like that.
3) Yes, well with the exception of James May aka Captain Slow.
4) I doubt it, he just looks like a wanker. I rather like Richard on the show, and I think he is probably a very nice guy, he just happens to look like a wanker.

Cry Sotek, and let slip the Lizards of War!

Courage and Honor!

"There is no good news, no silver lining, only the bright white light and then the sweet release of death." - Ultramarines 5th Company Captain Oliver Galenus

"Stuff sold by the gram will always be more expensive than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by Grik; 02-16-09 at 09:41 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-09, 09:36 AM

Trigger's Flag is: England

Ok,
1) YES. You pay £5 to drive into a zone in London, although its not very big, really just the centre bit, and you'd have to be mental to attempt driving in central London anyway. Its quicker walking.
2) There have been several Stigs, but none of them are household names.
3)Yep, you can tell which ones May drives due to the lack of smoke/powersliding.
4) I think he just looks like a wanker. I've never met the bloke, so I can't really comment.

Stick a V8 in it!

Quote eric, I'm sure Madonna has her own awards shelf. It doesn't make her any good.

Painting Great War Germans. Mmmm... Flamethrowers.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-09, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

1) With the tax, how do they monitor that? Seems a bit too easy to avoid paying unless they have GPS tracking devices.

2) Did I just answer my own question?

Oh, I remembered a question.

3) The test track. Each turn has a specific name or reference. What is the story behind that and who or what are they named for?

Thanks again.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-09, 10:26 AM

Zondarian's Flag is: England

It is worth saying that they all do their own driving other than James May who once got the Stig to drive for him. The congestion charge is paying money to take your car into London. Richard Hammond is a wanker, and everyone knows that Boris Johnson is the Stig. There are cameras everywhere in London and if you haven't paid your tax the computer finds you by looking at your plates, it is actually meant to be a very effective system, you get caught most of the time if you don't pay. And all the corners are named because all corners are named in every major racetrack, the names have meaning but I can't be arsed to go through them all. Followthrough= you shit yourself, Gambon= Micheal Gambon nearly killed himself going round the corner, etc..

Do not disallusion yourself brothers, today we die, our bodies broken and our souls shattered, we will be remembered as corpses on a battlefield.Raise hell my brothers for one day our great Father will hear of our struggle, and he will be honoured to call us his Sons. In death our Glory shall become eternal.' Karik Farron, 1st Lord of the Dark Scorchers at the Fall of Kempar.

'like a blind man in a dark room trying to find a black cat that isn't there'-imntdead

Last edited by Zondarian; 02-16-09 at 10:30 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-09, 12:36 PM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven302 View Post
1) With the tax, how do they monitor that? Seems a bit too easy to avoid paying unless they have GPS tracking devices.

2) Did I just answer my own question?

Oh, I remembered a question.

3) The test track. Each turn has a specific name or reference. What is the story behind that and who or what are they named for?

Thanks again.
1) as far as I understand it, its just like a toll - all the roads out of london central are toll roads. might be a bit different though, but that's what I've been told. So if you want to drive into london, you pay a tax.

3) probably need to watch some of the first episodes to get the back story on that, but I have a feeling that hammond (who really seems like he would be a wanker, but a funny one at least) just likes to name things. I think any episode where something important happens on a particular turn, they'll tack on a name then and there - that's what they did for gambon's corner when he almost rolled on it.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 02-16-09 at 12:47 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-09, 12:40 PM

scruff's Flag is: United Kingdom

The Stig has obviously went through various incarnations. Check Top Gear on Wikipedia and you'll see a list of suspects ^_^

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-09, 01:27 PM

solitaire's Flag is: England

Wow and to think I thought it was Clarkson who was the wanker. . .

"Playing Warhammer is just like making love. It's usually done on a table and afterwards you always feel great shame. Plus like most fun things the older you get the less fun it becomes. So remember, always wear a condom while playing Warhammer - I've got mine on now."
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-09, 02:05 PM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaire View Post
Wow and to think I thought it was Clarkson who was the wanker. . .
bwahaha, clarkson! no, the word for him is Asshole - and he'd probably tell you that himself. No, wanker doesn't go nearly far enough to cover his personality

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-09, 03:10 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

clarkson is a god for speaking what we all think but are too afraid to say it.

except what he says about cameras, I like it when speeding twats get caught and fined by them

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode