Thoughts On Russell Brand? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-08, 12:45 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Thats you Vaz.

The vast majority of parents wouldn't. He isn't making any sweeping statements, he's responding to what was an incredibly pathetic gag by someone who simply isn't funny.

Infact, i'd say anyone that finds that funny is pretty fucking retarded themselves. "I fucked your daughter" "Haha.." Comedy gold.... It's an insult.

Would proper comedians like Sean Lock, Jason Manford or Frankie Boyle crack pathetic gags like that?

Women laugh at people they want to fuck - well known fact. Makes me wonder why blokes find the guy funny...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-08, 01:11 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

I like all of those, but I suppose borderline Racism from Frankie Boyle is alright? He does more one liners that when you really do stop and think about them are pretty damn offensive.

Still, I suppose all those jokes about those Essex Lads are alright then? =P. Could it be because they're deserved, or because people know it's a joke? Same thing applies here. You get some dickhead who tries to make a funny - and because this person 'is a respected pillar of society' (really? since when has this Andrew Sachs been there for me? And comedy includes putting on a funny accent, and setting a pan on fire? Comedy Classic) it's the daily Mail brigade, who see themselves as moderators of morality.

Which is funny, because one day they posted an article about how Hunting was the past time of britain, it's part of our legacy and it should be allowed, with some half hearted comments about why it shouldn't be, so that the pro-hunt campaign seemed far better. Then the next day, there was an article about how the 'brutal and barbaric bloodsport' of Matador fighting in Spain should be abolished, because it's from a bygone age. Hypocrit much?

Back the point - I wonder if because the majority of men don't like him, they're perhaps jealous? =P
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-08, 02:47 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
I mean seriously, if two 'twats' as you all put it, ring you up, and go "I fucked your daughter", then I'd be all "so what?"
wow, just wow, and what happens when your daughter happens to be 10?, or 5?, you still go "so what?" or "HAHA funny joke, me laugh now", if the answer is yes, then I suppose the UK flag explains allot on that matter.

in fact considering your age says 19, your daughter would probably be 6-7 at the oldest (taking into account again this is britain where if you don't have a child by the age of 13, your "sad"), meaning you would have no problem by proof of your own statement of your 6-7yr old daughter being fucked by 2 "twats" ..........wow.....just utter wow
Quote:
Back the point - I wonder if because the majority of men don't like him, they're perhaps jealous? =P
Nope, it's because he IS shit.

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 12-28-08 at 02:50 PM.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-08, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Why would I be envious of a herion and sex addict whose had to resign over a PR disaster, who looks like he just feel out a hedge and has been arrested over 10 times?

Which of those qualities is something to aspire too?
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-08, 03:05 PM
Vaz

The fact that most girls think he's fit, and you're highlighting his fallacies, while completely ignoring the fact that most guys are jealous of others who are getting all the attention off ladies.

And Stella - I don't have a kid - it was a hypothetical statement. And you don't like him, fair do's. Other people don't like him. Fair do's. However, I like him, and I don't think he's shit.

There isn't a world where what Stella says is the complete Gospel truth, so you think he's shit, many others disagree.

If someone did go "Haha, I shagged your 5 your kid", it would be a case of "Right. Anyway, moving on", rather than laughing at it.

However, we're not dealing with a 5 year old, we're dealing with an adult, who didn't exactly make it hard for jokes about her job to come out. It's a shame, I can go around to my mates, and go "I fucked your mum last night, dayum she was tight", and shit like that. But because it's public (when all but the Daily Mail readers know that that's what happens everyday), certain people get all uppity about it. Telling the 'childishly behaved, moronic' people, who they list Brand as a No1 target, to grow up, is pretty pathetic in that they're naive enough to believe it's all sweetness and light in real life.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-08, 03:10 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
The fact that most girls think he's fit.
oh come off it, he has the face of a monkeys arse and the comedy similar to one, BUT he has lots of money and is famous, which of those do you think these women are attracted to?, think hard on that one, its very very difficult

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-08, 03:27 PM
Slave to Heresy!

Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Still, I suppose all those jokes about those Essex Lads are alright then? =P. Could it be because they're deserved, or because people know it's a joke? Same thing applies here.
How can you compare stereotyped essex lads jokes and a pair of goons phoning an old man?

Joking about fucking someones grand daughter and suggesting that he might hang himself isn't the same...

You're getting a bit carried away with the hypocrisy gig. It's nothing to do with the "Daily Mail Brigade". It's an indication of the guys intellect, and that of anyone that finds him amusing.

Have you actually listened to or read a transcript of the conversation?

I personally don't give a fuck what they said or didn't say. I just find it incredibly idiotic that they thought people would respond well to it.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-08, 03:41 PM
Vaz

Regardless of Stereotyping, it's still an insult.

If it's groundless, it's water off a ducks back. If it's true, then what can you do about it?

But why is it that someone who makes a joke always gets their asses handed to them? Television has become boring recently, due to all the PR. I mean, I was waching Doctor Who with my little cousin the other day, and she's 8, and knows about the Victorians. However, when a Black 'Gentleman', dressed up in all his finery, even she turned round and goes "that's not right".

So when someone has a joke (considering nearly all jokes are aimed at making fun of someone), it gets blown out of proportion, especially because of this man who's "done so much for comedy", and "it beggars belief as to why they think they have the right to mock him". Which all he has done is star in a couple of films, read some books on a tape, put on a funny accent and act stupid.

I agree with the fact that it was a stupid thing to do - but I still find him funny, and like him. I'm just going to end up repeating my points, so I'm going to leave it at that.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-09, 01:17 PM

lawrence96's Flag is: United Kingdom

i agree with both sides in that it was wrong for him to say those things, however it was also "blown" up by the media to ridiculous proportions.

as for my view on him, i've never found him even slightly humorous in his comedy (St. Trinians he was quite funny), i dont like on how he always seems to drag the jokes down into the gutter. he appeared on a Channel 5 "best movies of the 80's" show and ruined it when he said that in crocodile dundee the "thats not a knife..." scene was obviously phallic, how can you confuse a knife for a phallus?

i like comedians who can be funny without resorting to sex jokes every 5 seconds.

oh and for frankie boyle, i wouldnt call it racism - he insults scottish people all the time and he is scottish himself, and when on mock the week if a few of his jokes are a bit extreme then BBC2 warns viewers before hand whereas the brand and wossy phone calls have been portrayed to be completely out of the blue

but what do we learn from this experience? that the producers need to do their job better, anyone with half a brain could see that people would be offended by the calls so why air it, the show was prerecorded

Quisnam praesumo, successio
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-09, 01:35 PM

I agree that the main fault there was the editor/producer of the show. It shouldn't have been broadcast. It's the presenter's job to generate content. It's the producer's job to decide what goes in the finished programme. The producer should have been sacked, or alternatively (it later emerged that producers at the BBC are scared to do their jobs because if they annoy 'the talent' they don't get to work again) the producer should have been backed by management to make an editorial decision.

But it was, in my view a failure of management rather than a particularly shocking bit of behavious from Brand (who I have to say, I think is a bit of a knob who has sometimes said things I've agreed with) and Ross, who's also a bit of a knob (and has also, on occassion, said things I agree with. And he had Nirvana on his show in 1991, which I'm prepared to forgive him a lot for). Both of them have pretty much made their careers on being controversial.

Was it funny? I don't think so. Was it offensive? Yeah, I think so. Were people offended? Yeah, 2 listeners phoned to complain.

Is claiming to have fucked a 20-year-old stripper the same as claiming to have fucked a 5-year-old? Only if you think that the age of consent is meaningless and it's OK for a 5-year-old to be a stripper. Sach's grandaughter has Max Clifford as her PR agent, a man noted for his manipulation of the media (I dare you to Google him). She's hardly squeeky clean.

Is 38,000 people complaining because they've heard about it from the Daily Mail the same as mass outrage at the programme? No, it's a bunch of Tory grannies getting het up about some oiks. Are they oiks? Yes. Are they completely to blame and everyone else is innocent? No.

:cyclops has gone off somewhere because he thinks these conversations are boring:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode