1850pt Highlander Blood Angels - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-17, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England

Default 1850pt Highlander Blood Angels

So my local group is holding a Highlander tournament, the shortest way I can explain that is that everything is 0-1 only. So only 1 DC squad, only 1 Predator ETC.
The exception being for troops choices, which after I've taken one of each I can take as many as I like. So for example once I've taken Tacticals and Scouts, I could take as many of either as I liked (within other restrictions). Similar for dedicated transports with a highest AV of 12 or less. So once I've taken a Drop Pod, Rhino and a Razorback I could take as many of either as I liked, Landraiders are not included in this as they have a highest AV of 14, which is larger than 12.

I know a few of my opponents will include Salamanders, White Scars and Eldar bikes. But I've been pinky sworn by the Golden Throne that it's a friendly tournament so there's that.

So here it is, I want it to be fun, those brutal hand to hand is the aim. But at the same time it is a tournament obviously.

+ Baal Strike Force - 1850/1850 +

Sanguinary Priest
- Jump pack
- Power sword
- Bolt pistol
- Warlord
Joins the S.Guard, I figured he'd probably make a better warlord than the Chaplain, and at least a fluffier one. As if I recall the Librarius and Sanguinary Priesthood are joint second in command of the Blood Angels.

Chaplain
- Jump pack
Joins the Death Company.

10 man Tactical Squad
- Heavy flamer
- Flamer
- Veteran sergeant
- Power sword
Rhino
- Dozer blade
- Storm bolter
Combat squad into sarg, special, heavy and two, and 5 guy teams. 5 regular guys sit objectives and/or troll assault people. Fancy team goes stabbing and burning for a lark.

7 man Scout Squad
- Bolt pistol + combat blades
- Veteran sergeant
- Power sword
Runs up and stabs something. Do you think the 7-men make them more likely to get focused and killed than 5 men?

7 man Sanguinary Guard Squad
- 7 Encarmine swords
- Chapter banner
Jumps up using the tanks as cover, and rips apart hopefully some MeQ.

10man Death Company Squad
- 2x Boltguns + power fists
- 8x Bolt pistols + chainswords
- Jump packs
Pulls apart some weaker units as a result of their beautiful, deadly delusions.

10 man Sternguard Squad
- 10x Combi-meltas
Drop Pod
Drops in, combat squads. Melts 1-2 things I don't like. Statistically they should destroy a Knight reasonably comfortably if all 10 fire at it, 5 might get lucky and manage it.

Baal Predator
- Flamestorm cannon
- Heavy bolter sponsons
- Storm bolter
- Dozer blade
Quick marches up the table, and liberally burns stuff. Would heavy flamers be an idea? I know a lot of people like the assault cannon, but maybe it's just the psychology of slowely killing a few every turn with that vs cremating a tonne at once with the flame storm, I like cremation personally.

Predator
- Twin-linked lascannon
- Lascannon sponsons
- Dozer blade
- Overcharged engines
Hunts vehicles and MCs.

Vindicator
- Overcharged engines
- Dozer blade
Hunts large blobs of tough things.

What do we think? I've had to abandon my honoured Dreadnoughts I'm afraid as 2 Drop Pods is too much for Eldar bike spam to handle apparantly, but that's besides the point. The list seems to largely focus on the Sanguinary Guard and Death Company, but I'm not sure how I could avoid that.

Through temptation and horror
I have held to my faith
As a drowning man grasps at a rock
Judge me not by my weakness
Remember not my sins of late
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-17, 01:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiro the avenger! View Post
Sanguinary Priest
- Jump pack
- Power sword
- Bolt pistol
- Warlord
Joins the S.Guard, I figured he'd probably make a better warlord than the Chaplain, and at least a fluffier one. As if I recall the Librarius and Sanguinary Priesthood are joint second in command of the Blood Angels.
Overall theres not much to say about this guy, beyond considering taking valours edge for the AP2 without unwieldy.

That being said, I'd argue that the priest is the worst of your two options here for a warlord. Close combat is where he wants to be, but a distinct lack of invulnerable save can be an easy warlord kill for your opponent. The chaplain has his rosarius to fall back on.

Quote:
Chaplain
- Jump pack
Joins the Death Company.
As I said before, I think the chaplain is your better bet for a warlord in this list and would try to get valours edge or a sword/axe on him to make up for the shortcomings of his crozius.

Quote:
10 man Tactical Squad
- Heavy flamer
- Flamer
- Veteran sergeant
- Power sword
Rhino
- Dozer blade
- Storm bolter
Combat squad into sarg, special, heavy and two, and 5 guy teams. 5 regular guys sit objectives and/or troll assault people. Fancy team goes stabbing and burning for a lark.
Since the plan is combat squad and leave half to hold an objective, I'd give that half the heavy weapon and make it something other than a heavy flamer. Perhaps a heavy bolter or missile launcher for the versatility. Five bolters may be nothing to sniff at, but nothing takes a bit of heat off your forward guys more than a back objective heavy weapon threat.

Quote:
7 man Scout Squad
- Bolt pistol + combat blades
- Veteran sergeant
- Power sword
Runs up and stabs something. Do you think the 7-men make them more likely to get focused and killed than 5 men?
I think that its irrelevent whether they are five or seven strong here. Because they are not in power armour and need to get in close, they will see some focus fire.

I'd say drop them to six strong, take camo cloaks and shotguns, but keep your overall strategy the same. Its 3 points more expensive, but thats not terrible all things considered.

Quote:
7 man Sanguinary Guard Squad
- 7 Encarmine swords
- Chapter banner
Jumps up using the tanks as cover, and rips apart hopefully some MeQ.
Take some axe's here, otherwise there is only so much they can do.

Quote:
10man Death Company Squad
- 2x Boltguns + power fists
- 8x Bolt pistols + chainswords
- Jump packs
Pulls apart some weaker units as a result of their beautiful, deadly delusions.
I'd drop one fist and grab a pair of power weapons for some versatility. Give yourself a few options rather than throw all your eggs in the powerfist basket when it comes to ignoring saves.

Quote:
10 man Sternguard Squad
- 10x Combi-meltas
Drop Pod
Drops in, combat squads. Melts 1-2 things I don't like. Statistically they should destroy a Knight reasonably comfortably if all 10 fire at it, 5 might get lucky and manage it.
I'd swap four of the melta's for either flamers or plasma, or even go five and five. Go after two different targets or give yourself more chances to cause damage. (Assuming your out of melta range when shooting at a knight, five plasma's are about as effective as five melta's.)

Quote:
Baal Predator
- Flamestorm cannon
- Heavy bolter sponsons
- Storm bolter
- Dozer blade
Quick marches up the table, and liberally burns stuff. Would heavy flamers be an idea? I know a lot of people like the assault cannon, but maybe it's just the psychology of slowely killing a few every turn with that vs cremating a tonne at once with the flame storm, I like cremation personally.
I personally think the heavy bolters are better here, though would suggest dropping the extra equipment so you have points elsewhere.

Quote:
Predator
- Twin-linked lascannon
- Lascannon sponsons
- Dozer blade
- Overcharged engines
Hunts vehicles and MCs.
I'd say go auto/las

Quote:
Vindicator
- Overcharged engines
- Dozer blade
Hunts large blobs of tough things.
Don't think the dozer blade is really needed here.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-17, 02:33 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Take some axe's here, otherwise there is only so much they can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
I'd drop one fist and grab a pair of power weapons for some versatility. Give yourself a few options rather than throw all your eggs in the powerfist basket when it comes to ignoring saves.
SG and DC both have two weaknesses in close combat: 2+ armour saves and AV. In both instances it's 10 points more for a power fist to be equipped, which solves both problems with one piece of equipment where an axe only helps against TEQ. With 40 attacks on the charge otherwise coming in at S/I5 re-rolling to-hit 3/4/5+ saves aren't really an issue for DC.

@kiro the avenger I can snap a nice picture of the DCC page and send it to you if that's all you need to use the unit in your games. 20 of the best points you can spend (since a jump Chappy is 105 otherwise) if you play jump DC.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-17, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
SG and DC both have two weaknesses in close combat: 2+ armour saves and AV.
That was actually my point for the axes (more so the sanguinary guard though.) Being able to deal with +2 saves and maintaining more attacks both on the charge and in further rounds of combat (if that happens.)

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-17, 03:31 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

With regard to SG, you don't get less attacks by taking a power fist. Axe and sword both are two-handed and their gun is an assault weapon not a pistol. Axes are OK for helping against 2+ saves but they're lackluster against armour, specifically Walkers. There's a ton of ways to net 10 points for it in this list without compromising any of the units, the only reason to not take a fist would be if you know without a doubt you aren't facing much armour and even then it's nice to have some attacks in the unit at high strength for instant death and monstrous creatures.

When it comes to DC tossing a bolter on the power fist model adds one shot to the unit to make up for the loss of one punch. Aside from that they have the same utility for fists as SG (in my matches anyway).

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-17, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
With regard to SG, you don't get less attacks by taking a power fist. Axe and sword both are two-handed and their gun is an assault weapon not a pistol.
Ha! Shows how long its been since I've played as the sons of Sanguinius or used Sanguinary Guard.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode