Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

2400 point GT list

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Minigiant 
#1 ·
ok so I just got the army book and have drafted up an army list. Let me know what you lot think!

chieftain 15, points

packmaster + 5 giant rats, 23 points

1181 slaves, 2363 points

that adds up nicely to the 2400 GT point mark.

opinions please!

#3 ·
I'm not super familiar with skaven, but are all those characters in units? And are you planning one massive units? I would suggest just stretching them across the field from side to side if you can so that your enemies can't escape (duh duh duh...) your wrath. If it's not one unit, even if it's units of like 400, it could be whittled down with not too much difficulty. At least one unit would die, probably without you killing anything back.

#4 ·
I've done some rough board measurements the slave army is one huge unit 11-13 ranks deep and 90-91 rats wide the giant rats are just there to legalise force composition as per the rules. The supe. Mega slave unit is just going to sit and soak!! Movement, none, charges none, templates and blasts aren't gonna kill enough to panic, and there's so many they'll be stubborn, always!

#6 ·
I mean, if it were me (wood elves) I would take my fast units and flank behind you (eagles, any GR I decided to include) and maybe even do that with my ordinary guys. I'd march block you forever with those guys, and then just magic and shoot you to death. The giant rats would die almost immediately, and I would basically focus on not letting your rats get near me. I usually play beasts, so I have that curse spell most of the time that makes it dangerous terrain for a unit on 1s and 2s, so goodbye a third of your unit a turn. It's definitely an interesting idea, I'm just not sure how well it would work. (also have fun rolling that many dice...)

#7 ·
In terms of terrain, with such a unit, id literally mound it around anything that happened to be in the deployment zone.
basically its there to hold for a draw as you all have spotted,
sit, and soak up everything, and pray for the odd miscast/misfire or two!
with such numbers i'm sure the horned rat would smile on the army.

#8 ·
If you really want to play this list, go for it! It's going to be pretty damned hard to break. Still, if you get cursed (beasts) then don't move as you will lose ~1/3 of your guys (sparking a panic test), and if someone has dwellers, run like hell (either towards to kill him, or back to stay out of 12' (until he gets close enough to charge him). Either of those two spells will ruin you, and neither is that hard to get (especially for me). With enough area attacks, you'll probably die. I would probably shoot you with my GG, then curse the shit out of you, then wait til you're fleeing and run you down with eagles. If you can avoid such spells though, you should be able to soak up enough to at least get a tie (and against combat oriented armies, maybe even a win). Another warning - you're not steadfast in a forest. Stay out of those.

#11 ·
now i just need to figure out how to paint all those blighteres!
I will be brutally honest; don't!

I will give some constructive reasons why not; these are based on some general assumptions but none the less something to consider

1. The Mission that rely on Fortitude; you have already lost because your lists fortitude is 2 and therefore it breaks before you even place your models on the table. Not a fun way to loose in a tournament

2. Your commander is highly vulnerable to sniping spells etc which would reduce your army back to leadership 5 with a high chance of breaking

3. This ties in with number 2, no Magic defense means those snipe spells or those whole unit spells will ruin your army

4. All Skaven armies need a battle standard bearer because leadership is so fickle.

5. If your running in any tournaments with a comp system, your army is illegal. ETC restricts slaves to 120 overall or 3 units. Swedish comp with just your slaves scores -84.2 which would never be allowed.

While i admit i would love to see that many Rats on the table i just think it wont be enjoyable for you or your opponent and highly recommend your take a rethink. Your can still go Horde and include some of the 'shiny stuff' of course you just wont number 1000 + models

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.