Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Emperor's Feth 2 - Astra Militarum and Blood Angels Army

16K views 134 replies 29 participants last post by  hocky 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to the Emperor’s Feth!
(More on why it is ‘the other half’ later)

History of ‘The Feth’

I haven’t been involved in W40k since back in A-levels (1995 ish) and then I only painted a couple of Blood angels but never played the game.

Back in Sept (ish) 2008 I bought a White Dwarf for the first time in years. It just so happened to be the release of 5th edition. Obviously I was interested so I went to my local GW to take a look.

The First Model

After browsing the store I found the Ogryn Bone ‘Ead and just thought he was awesome so without another thought I bought him and a basic paint set and brush and set off home.

After looking at painting guides on the internet and realising that the basic paint set was rubbish I bought some more paints and set to work. After a couple of weeks this is what I came up with as my first ever properly painted model….

After a couple of years experience, looking back, I now think he isn’t very well painted but I still really love him to bits and although I would like to repaint him I won’t!!!

See less See more
#28 ·
While I mull over the tyranid colour scheme problem I thought i'd share a few more photo's. As all I have shown is grey so far I thought it pertinent to explain that Grey uniform marks out Veterans in this army and red marks out normal guardsmen. So on with the red and a platoon....

Troop Squad 1 with Lascannon

Lascannon

Sergeant

Troop Squad 2 with Lascannon

Lascannon

Sergeant (Jangalak's favourite for some reason!)

Blob

#30 ·
Thanks Janga! I have been perusing LTP's Photo editing guide on the miscellaneous tutorial section and so after a download my photo's should get a bit better.

As you know I have been playing with the idea of a tyranid invasion but have been struggling with a scheme for them. The early ideas were still too dark so i thought "lets go pink!"....

and i have ripped up a chimera to put some genestealers on it tearing it apart. Here is the idea....

What do you think of the scheme and the stealers pose on the chimera?

#31 ·
I like the idea of the nid theme, it would make for a very interesting army. At the risk of repeating myself i actually prefer the guardsmen to your vets, the red fabric looks very nice to me! Also loving the bricks by the hwt

#32 ·
Thanks Dakingofchaos. After much deliberation I agree with some of the comments here regarding my veterans. Its all too grey! So a change of colour scheme for my vets is called for. I also think that they should be different from normal troopers - they are veterans after all. So I have been messing around and doing some research and have decided to do three things differently with them.
1. Different heads - I have spied some online and ordered so I will post pics when they are here.
2. Different weapons - Counts as lasguns, but i took inspiration from a tutorial here on heresy by itspug and came up with this....

3. Different colour scheme. Now this I need some feedback on as I have painted the armour and am wondering if it fits with my other troopers. I originally tried fortress grey with white highlights.....

....but think I will go with all white and weather it instead after following xenobiotics blog for a while here....
Pre weathering.

What do you guys think?

#33 ·
Well I didn't think I would have any more painting time tonight but here is the pre weathered vet stuck together. Poor pics though sorry! Will change the top of the gun I think as it doesn't work. It needs to be flatter.
Any good?

#34 ·
I think it could work if there was an extension to the tube on top, to make it look more like a scope.

I like the scheme with the white more, but that's just bias because my own IG are painted with white. :biggrin:

Other then that... the beltfed weapon feeding from the bottom doesn't work. Beltfed weapons traditionally are attached to the side of the weapon, like the M249 / PKM

#37 ·
With regard to the belt feed, as the Rev says, I stole that idea from the bolters of some chaos marines I had knocking around. Here is a pic from GW and they are a mix of ammo case and hanging ammo.....

This isn't realistic in real life but I thought it would be more interesting than nicking the bolter ammo case seen on some of the other chaos marines instead which has been done before. I may do a mix of the two. I'll experiment with my bits box!!

I am defo going to change the top of the gun, it doesn't work when you look at it in real life so i'll get some plasticard and change that.

Hopefully i'll get some time to weather the white this morning, slightly nervous about that though......

#38 ·
Hocky, this is great mate! I like them alot. As whats been said before, the white makes everything stand out nicely. Your facial feature is great as well, hes got that look on his face like "Awhhh man." Well done Sir!

Regards,
DoE

#39 ·
Thanks D of E!!
Have finally decided to go for it and weathered the white! This is Jangalak's fault as he kept bothering me to 'pit' the white so here it is with just the top of the weapon to change and a new head....

What do you think?

#40 ·
The NID colour scheme is pretty cool, you've done a good job on the stealer. It's not far off my own scheme though so I may be biased ;) I used black base coat with the fleshy parts and ribs quite a dark red (rojo red from the vallejo range applied thinly) and then the carapace is black with metallic blue highlights to make them look suitably beetle-y (just no guitars).

And you guard look fantastic, the modelling on the bases is really nice and I might have to plagiarise some of your ideas.

#42 ·
Thanks Jangles!

Ok I am having issues. My thoughts were to make the vets look like they mean business. This means a change in scheme, weapons and heads. I like the scheme but not sure if it will fit with my normal red guardsmen. I love the new weapons but just need to alter a couple of bits so that is to come. My big problem is their heads.....

I love the pig iron gas masks and thought that they would fit nicely for vets, they are also a bit chaosy too which floats my boat!! So I ordered some and painted one up yesterday to see what it looks like. However I think it makes the guardsman head look far too small as he has bulky armour. Obviously the normal helmet bulks the head out and it looks normal.

Here are some comparison pics for size reference. Also do you think that the mask needs to be painted white?

#43 ·
I like the gas masked head, but my first impression was that it was a bit too small, which is a shame because it adds some character and makes them stand out. I guess my eye was only comparing it against the guy with the great marshmallow helmet next to him though...

Your call I guess ;)

#44 ·
Oh Rev!! Now I am paranoid that my hardest men, the ones who are fiercest in the thick of the fighting are actually guys who just found themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time as war broke out while they were in fancy dress at a ghostbusters convention.....:(

#45 ·
haha, sorry Hocky, I didn't mean the marshmallow reference to creat an image of the Marshmallow Man in your mind!! :) haha, you could write stay-puft on their helmets? :wink:

back to the original dilema though, I like the gas masked guys, you should keep them. or make a whole squad of them and then they are only ever compared against each other?

#47 ·
The veterans are looking very nice, your highlights are improving drasticly and the freehand on the shoulders is nice and straight now! I agree about making the tube on the top of the gun into a scope, at the moment it looks out of place imo. I quite like the scheme to the veterans and the weathering on the white has turned out well! Very well done sir!

#48 ·
Thanks guys, I realy like the gas masks too. I actually think that when I have painted the armour properly the gas mask won't look as small and Rev I think you are right about the perspective of him only being comparable to the marshmallow. I think a whole squad will look cool. Therefore i'll bloody well get on with it!!
Been a bit busy round here lately so not much painting done, back on it next week though so some more progress then. Until then I had not shown any pictures of the vet squads I have painted now so this is those guys possibly being repainted white after the trial squad gets completed.....

Whole Plasma Vet Squad

5 of the normal vets...

And a close up of their backpacks

The 3 Plasma gunners

And the Sergeant

I gave them the stormtrooper backpacks to give the impression they were on some kind of mission and not just your average guy.

#49 ·
Well it seems like forever since I posted as real life has gotten in the way.

However there is some exciting news in that me and jangalak have managed to get a weekend away from the families to give the feth another outing at the doubles tournament in February!!!
We are now obliged to put something special together to get nominated again for best painted!
Therefore the last couple of days my new white vet squad has been in production again. Managed to get all the basic colours on, then it will be washes, highlights then weapons. Here is a quick progress pic

Even though I haven't been painting I still have been reading and I am loving the blood angels at the moment. So much so that last week I went a bit crazy and made a few purchases to keep plugging away at in the long term....

1750 in all and a manticore for dear old jangalak. I already have mephiston so hopefully if I ever have enough time I will be able to apocalypse it up with guard and BA!
Onwards to the doubles with IG though, more updates soon!

#50 ·
Oooh, i see you have made a light box, good man! really makes the detail easier to see now, looking very nice! It cant have been easy getting that many stormtrooper backpacks, or did you just buy the set?
The plasma coils are looking really smooth, i love that effect!
Good to hear your entering the doubles tournament, i may well see you there! Have you got a seperate blog for you Ba or will they be in here as well? looking forward to seeing them on the go

#53 ·
Well its been a while - lots going on at home and work so not much time for hobbying i'm afraid.

@dakingofchaos - hope you're at the doubles, it'll be cool to catch up offline. And no i'll probably put some pics of the BA on here every now and again. It would be far too slow to offer a proper project log - as you are seeing with this one!

@troybuckle - Thanks man. Its funny, unlike others I love painting infantry!!! I'm also a bit OCD and can't help but do the details where someone else would leave them. It would bug me far too much!!

@rev - I saw those gas masks when I was shopping around for heads and I loved them but hated the helmets!!

I haven't quite finished them yet - armour and a few more touches to guns and faces to do but here is a quick update for your opinions before I finish them off and then get cracking with a load more...

What do you think of the guns? I have changed the sight on top and used different magazines to show that these are vets and they are scavenging behind enemy lines, adapting and using the resources they can find, but should I leave the original lasgun end on or go down the more autogunnish route like the marshmallow headed guy?

Do the gasmasks work? Should I ditch them and leave the Cadian marshmallow heads on? I think their size is fine when the group is together. I really like the masks that don't cover the whole face but am not sure about the full face masks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.