Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Emperor's Feth 2 - Astra Militarum and Blood Angels Army

16K views 134 replies 29 participants last post by  hocky 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to the Emperor’s Feth!
(More on why it is ‘the other half’ later)

History of ‘The Feth’

I haven’t been involved in W40k since back in A-levels (1995 ish) and then I only painted a couple of Blood angels but never played the game.

Back in Sept (ish) 2008 I bought a White Dwarf for the first time in years. It just so happened to be the release of 5th edition. Obviously I was interested so I went to my local GW to take a look.

The First Model

After browsing the store I found the Ogryn Bone ‘Ead and just thought he was awesome so without another thought I bought him and a basic paint set and brush and set off home.

After looking at painting guides on the internet and realising that the basic paint set was rubbish I bought some more paints and set to work. After a couple of weeks this is what I came up with as my first ever properly painted model….

After a couple of years experience, looking back, I now think he isn’t very well painted but I still really love him to bits and although I would like to repaint him I won’t!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Partner in crime

Having finished the Ogryn off I was really interested in the game and how it played so I went out and got a copy of the rules and the Imperial Guard codex to flip through. Now I knew nobody that played the game but I did know that my best mate (Jangalak on the forums) also used to paint some Eldar back at school. We both have wives and young families now and we meet up together for the kids to play etc. and on one October afternoon I presented the Ogryn model to him knowing full well what I was doing….
A week later he had bought a ton of Ultramarines and he was off!!!

#3 ·
Painting and Playing - the doubles adventure and the beginning of ‘The Feth’!

Because of our families and work we do have limited time to play and paint but we do as much as we can. After a year or so we both had armies with enough points to play 1000pt games and we both managed to talk our other halves into letting us go away for the weekend to the W40k Doubles at Warhammer World. So in Feb 2010 off we went with Imperial Guard and Ultramarines and had a wicked time.
We placed about halfway in the tournament but decided that we would enter the following year and be more competitive in our play and go for the best painted army award….

#4 ·
The Big Switch, ‘The Feth’ begin to roll!

We got our tickets for the 2011 doubles in February having obsessively planned our lists for about 9 months after the 2010 tournament. However, Jangalak in his wisdom decides that Ultramarines are pussies and he wants to take Imperial Guard as his half of the army. So in November 2010 we had a huge amount of painting to do for the following February.

This was the beginning of the true Emperor’s Feth!

In the February Tournament, after nipping out of work halfway through the day to paint in the car some days, we were long-listed for the best painted army but never got into the top 5. We placed about 28th in the tournament and I made a quick tournament report which can be found on the 11th company here…

http://the11thcompany.freeforums.org...rld-t1725.html

We had a great time but more improvements were needed both competitively and paint wise….

#5 ·
The Doubles Sept 2011

In June 2011, completely unforeseen, my dearest W40k hating wife, got me tickets to the doubles in September for my birthday!! So again the painting started in earnest for Jangalak and I as we got going with army lists again and hammering out new units and vehicles. The doubles tournament is this weekend, 2 days away, and we can’t wait. I will post a report on this blog when we get back.

#6 ·
The Emperors’s Feth

Jangalak decided it would be a good idea to document his side of ‘The Feth’ and his blog is here…

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83481

This blog is my side of ‘The Feth’.

Because I already have 2 years worth of army I have taken lots of photo’s but will post regularly rather than put them all up at once. In this way the blog will keep getting updated and if I keep painting at home I will keep producing new material to post as we go along.

This blog is not for me to show off, I want to improve both my modelling and painting and so I am asking anybody who will read this for ideas and tips to improve my army. Even if I have photographed my models I am not afraid to change or add things if it will make them better so please feel free to critique me. I know I am not the best painter in the world but I am always looking to learn and improve.

Onwards….

#7 ·
HQ - Company Command Squad

To kick things off I have to start at the top. I have a Company Command Squad with Company Commander and 4 Meltaguns all in a Chimera with Multilaser/Heavy Flamer.

My list is trying to be competitive and the more meltaguns the merrier. Unfortunately GW are spanners and dont make any decent meltagunners - they are all metal and in one pose - so I bought some space marine Meltas and converted my four guys....

Group

Commander

Melta 1(a) - My Favourite

Melta 1(b)

Melta 2

Melta 3

Melta 4

HQ Chimera

All of my vehicles have mud on them. Quite simply i tried it and liked it!!!
The overlying icon of my army are the teeth decals. Every unit should have them on somewhere.
Also defining the icon on the chimera: the 'X' means it is an HQ unit while the two vertical lines dictate that it is a Melta unit.

Any comments or questions please feel free. I want to know anyone's views on the models, convertion, mud, decals, anything that may make them better. Or of course just thoughts in general!!

#8 ·
Hello buddy, nice to see you are up here at last, my half of the 'Feth' dont feel so lonely now!

After telling you i thought the photos were great, now i have seen them on here i would recommend doing what I am with my photos now - I get the image, open it in 'Paint' (the software you get with your PC) and resize them to 85% - I save them and then 'attach' them to my posting rather than doing a hyperlink to photobucket or something.
Its all personal pref really, but I decided I liked this best as you can get lots of images on one post if you need to, and you can zoom in and out of them better than the hyper-link photos.

Love the commander best of all here - his face is nicely done and suitably grizzled looking. +rep buddy, now lets see the rest...

#9 ·
Im loving the IG Hocky, and the story of you and Janga sounds awesome.

For a first time painting for back in the day on the Ogryn...AWESOME!

Im jealous that you and your mate are in the UK and get to hit up the GW shops and get your game on, Italy....ya, it sucks!

Looking forward to your next entry!

Regards,
DoE

#10 ·
Thanks DOE! I have been following your Krieg blog too with interest. You got game too!! No idea how you afford that stuff though!!
For anybody interested DOE's K.R.I.E.G. is here
It is well worth a look

#11 ·
Back from the Doubles tournament at Warhammer World now and we had a great time!

We won 2 games, lost 3 and got nominated for best army in the painting competition too! More about the Doubles in another post later though.

For now I wanted to post some more photos of the army so seeing as I am starting at the top here is my Platoon Command Squad. They have 3 Meltaguns (Forgeworld with respirator masks because they look super cool!) and ride in a Chimera....

Group Shot

Platoon Commander - Front

Platoon Commander - Back

Melta 1

Melta 2

Melta 3

Lasgun - The fall guy!

PCS Chimera 1

PCS Chimera 2

PCS Chimera 3

PCS Chimera 4

So the army list at the moment is:

[U]HQ[/U]
CCS

4 Meltas
Chimera - ML/HF

Troops
PCS

3 Melta/1 Lasgun
Chimera - ML/HF

Total points - 260

Any comments on how I can make them better are always appreciated, thanks!!

#13 ·
Hi Kjell, thanks for the comments, thy are appreciated!
To be honest i have gone a little over board on 2-3 of my tanks with the mud mainly for two reasons: 1. I got carried away and got too slap happy with the polyfilla mix!!! 2. Because the tanks are so small I felt that you needed more to be able to see the effect. Actually with this i think you are right less is more so i'll bear that in mind for my future tanks.

#16 ·
1. I got carried away and got too slap happy with the polyfilla mix!!! 2. Because the tanks are so small I felt that you needed more to be able to see the effect.
Makes perfect sense, we all get a little crazy now and then when we paint. somne, like me, have a little more crazy and a little less well done painting...

I totally get what you were after and tried to do. The overall painting is A+, and the extra work almost made it a A++. I can't wait to see what you do next.

KT

#15 ·
Hi, great to see a good looking guard army up, you tied this together really well; however there are a couple of things that stick out to me;
- I agree with Kjell about there being a tad too much mud on the chimera, that one in particular looks like it's tracks should have clogged up and stopped.
- The freehand on the last chimera looks a tad wobbly imo, dont get me wrong its ten times better than what i could do it just looks a bit wonky if you get me?
-Overall you've lavished a lot of detail in the guardsmen, but overall i think they look a tad monochrome, im not sure what you could do but i think it needs breaking up a tad.

Sorry if it seems like im being douchey, i really like them!

#17 ·
Now this is what I was looking for - honest opinions. Thanks guys!

@Marneus - Lol! It seemed like a good idea at the time but I am gonna have to change it now as every time I look at it I'll think that the thing has rolled over a dinner table!

@dakingofchaos - I agree with the logo freehand. After seeing it on the pics (and realising that it looks like OXO) I will change them. I have no idea what to do instead though. I want a decal that shows what's inside the transport so the idea behind these two is that the 'x' signifies a command squad and the arrow means troops so i can differentiate between the CCS and PCS. Any ideas anyone?
Also the scheme is monochrome you're right. I kind of wanted it that way - an urban camo look. That means all my vets are grey while my poor normal grunts get to be a scab red colour (coming soon). Again this distinguishes them on the tabletop. However i think they need something but i am not sure what. I put the teeth on the shoulders to break up the grey more but you're right they need a little something else - any ideas?

@Kjell Thats fine mate, I need these opinions otherwise I am not going to improve!!

Moving forwards I am planning a Tyranid invasion on my army to try and make them stand out more and be a little less grey.I have ripped one of my original chimeras up to model some genestealers on it tearing it apart and I have big plans for one of my vendettas. Any thoughts on the possibility of putting tyranids into my normal guys to give them more colour? Also i need some ideas on a colour scheme for the tyranids that will go with my army's colour scheme.....

#18 ·
I have started thinking about how I could put Tyranids into my army as a theme and thought I would start nice and simple with a Vendetta base. On it I want a gun emplacement having been taken apart by Genestealers. This is what I have done so far....

I now have to model half a guardsman lying in a big puddle of water and a couple of genestealers running past or feasting on him. Again I can't decide on a colour scheme for the Stealers as yet though....What do you guys think?

#20 ·
Hi Reaper, thanks for taking a look. To paint flesh this is what I do:
1. Following the chaos black prime i paint all flesh areas scorched brown.
2. Then i use watered down tallarn flesh on the flesh and leave the scorched brown visible in the recesses. Sometimes this takes a couple of coats. I water it down to give a smooth finish otherwise I find the paint comes out quite chalky.
3. Wash with Ogryn flesh wash. This tones the brown and flesh colours together.
4. Repaint the raised areas of flesh - cheeks, chin, nose, fingers, palms etc - with watered down Tallarn flesh.
5. Highlight really raised areas - nose, fingertips - with watered down elf flesh.
6. Paint eyes, teeth.
7. On my Platoon Commander (smoking a cigar) I thought i'd try giving him stubble too so I watered down some Badab black wash and carefully put 2-3 washes on his chin. I actually thought that this came out really well too although you can only just see it in the pics!

Any questions ask and any feedback on better ways to do it, I never mind trying something new out. At the end of the day you can always repaint it!!!

#22 ·
Try it, it will prob be fine. Even if you didn't bother with brown and just painted it all tallarn flesh then washed it with ogryn flesh it would still look great. I just use the brown for a little more depth.

#25 ·
That sounds like fighting talk Rev!!!! Hopefully i'll be there. Some real life stuff going down at the moment but there's always hope!!

Thanks for the compliments on the searchlights. Dead easy to do but actually quite effective.

So Alpha Legion eh? I'll be following that one for sure. Will it be Alpha and SW at the tourney then?

#26 ·
Following on from my earlier comments regarding some tyranids and adding a Tyranid theme to the army I am test painting a Genestealer as a start for the base of one of my Vendettas.....

These were the first test colours....(Excuse the white foot!!!)

I wasn't really happy as the colours were too brown and the point of the 'nids were to add colour to the army. So I then tried this....

This time I quite like the blue but i don't think the flesh colour works. Any idea's on either painting it better full stop or the colour scheme?

#27 ·
Looking good but I have to agree the mud is too much and there would be a separation between where the mud piles up on the track and on the stationary part of the tank.

The grey on the uniform of some of the troopers is a bit to much of a contrast you can always go over the uniform with a wash of the original color to blend it in slightly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.