Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Ad Man's rogue trader: Order of the Crimson Dawn

15K views 110 replies 23 participants last post by  777swappamag777 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, and welcome to my second progress thread!!

This thread is all about me building the forces of Rogue Trader: Captain Haaken Rackam.

This crew of rag tag individuals do not follow the Imperial creed and hence allow all manner of aliens and sub humans to enter their ranks. Such behaviour is seriously frowned upon by the Inqusition, luckily Haaken's family inheritence is a Warrent of Trade dated back so far it is signed by the Emperor himself.

In the eyes of the Imperium the family has fallen from grace and withering, when in actuality the fleet of this Rogue Trader is stronger than ever, acting as a large mercanary force lending aid to worlds willing to pay, be they Imperial, Tau owned or even helping the Eldar(although that was only once and they were in a real bad way, considering how much it pained them to request the assistance of a Mon-Keigh).

Through out this project log i'll be keeping a running total of how much this has cost me and how many points i have acumulated. (so i can cry, and you can laugh. Also money will be added when i recieve models, not when i purchase them)

For the rules I will be using the Grey Knight codex, more spacificaly the Coteaz henchmen spam build (tho what I put in will be down to whatever I think of that I feel is cool, not a spacific net list).

So, on with the project!! :D

The first warrior to join us is Constantine Marcellus. An Afriel Strain warrior, geneticaly designed to be the best of the best, these men were brilliant soldiers, however they seemed to be plagued by bad luck after missions. The bouts of bad luck has developed a sense of 'gallows humor' in Constantine, his favorate phrase being 'Whats the worst that could happen?)

Our second crew member is, Baldur. A very rough man, often prefering brute force as a method of attack over more indirect means. Found upon a feral world the man is a genius, having learnt Low Gothic in a matter of months. He is also known amongst the crew as a talented gunsmith, having performed some sort of work on most of the crew's weapons. Crew members make sure to pay the man on time for his services as he is not someone you want to get in a mood.

total money spent: £0.00 (these 2 were made from bits i already owned)
total points gathered: 28pts

Thankyou for reading this first post, please leave comments and (CONSTRUCTIVE)critisism. It is all very much appriciated. :D

See less See more
#3 ·
indeed i am, its another challenge for me, since ive never attepmted something like this before.

also, each model will have their unit type painted on the back half of their base, as well as their name on the bottom.

im also crawling through ebay to find old models i like, as i want to shoehorn some gw history in here :D

#6 ·
So, as promised. MOAR MODELS!! ;)

We kick off tonight with Major Jarken. As you can guess, once a soldier of the imperial guard, he was a hero of a campain to free a system of the taint of chaos. Upon returning home he found the forces of the Inqusition waiting for him and his regement, fearing the taint of Chaos had followed them back. It is at this time Capt. Rackam presented the Major with the option to defect and essentaly save his regement. Though many years have passed and Jarken is a wanted man, he has never relinquished the title of major, nor his medals, as he feels that abandoning these would be like abaondoning the many men he lost on his last crusade under the service of the Imperium

Here I will write how the Captian met all of these creatures currently on his ship as i dont want to write it a number of times :p

While resupplying and trading with some members of the T'au water caste a small, oddly shaped ship jumped from the warp and smashed into the one of the hangar bays of the flag ship ofthe Order of the Crimson Dawn. Out from this now wreckage spewed a large family of Jokaro. From here they run ammok, stealing weapons and bits of machinary, to this day that entire hanger belongs to 20 or so Jokearo, much to the irritation of the on board mechanicus members, who to this day have a constant guard over their store rooms, lest these xenos monkeys defile ALL of the machine spirits on the ship. Infact, it is not an uncommon sight to see a techpreist and jokearo having a tug of war over a bolter or other valuable weapon.

Last update of the night now.

#28993 was found while looting an abandoned hive city. It was first spotted slowly walking in circles, sinking ever deeper in to a bog due to one leg being nothing more than a ceremite bar. having been salvaged, and fitted with a multimelta it appears to function very well, considering it's original condition. However one parculiar quirk this bio machine holds is that every diagnostic report it gives contains a very detailed description of "pain" in all the diodes down it's left side.

finaly, a preview of a w.i.p crusader

points ammased: 103 (including the w.i.p crusader)
money spent: £12.50 (various bits from sites and the jokearo)

#9 ·
Ethil-Ir joined the crew while Jack's grandfather was in command of the fleet, he was found, along with 3 other eldar hauled up in the wreckage of their ship, beseiged on all sides by a green skin horde, they thought it better to join him than to be butchered by the thugish Orks. Now, 80 years later and the 2 eldar left continue to serve the family, often as advisors as well as warriors.

there is actualy alot of gold detailing on the red armour (you cans see bits on the sheild) but it diddnt show in the photos :(

this has to be one of my favorate models so far :p

#10 · (Edited)
quick update, ive just recieved 3 models in the post, a rogue trader era harlequin, an arbite champion(has an eagle on his noggin) and another model ;)

total points gathered: 306
total spent: £33.22

#11 ·
so, its tu-fer-wun day on this-here project log. without further delay, i present to you lovely people two more crew members: Var'Carr and Kir'Uk

These two are just a couple of around 20 Tau and Kroot that seeked out The Order after hearing stories of their ventures into the unknown and the perks of being a mercenary. These aspiring pirates had recently begun to feel uncertain about the cause that is 'The Greater Good'. They understand what the Tau are trying to do, but feel they are going about it in the wrong way. Unfortunately as none of them are from the Etherial caste their word holds little weight to it under current Tau society.

#13 ·
cheers for the rep man :D

the models really arent that shiney, its just that the only way macro seems to work on my camera is if it has the flash on, hence the extreme shadows behind the models.

#14 · (Edited)
Whats this? Another update? I bet you are all asking yourselves 'Adam, surely you have a life?'

The answer is no! Infact I dont, well not until I go back to stafford and to uni where all my friends are (so expect such regular updates to taper off slightly after the 9th September).

So, today we bring you one of the youngest members of the crew, a young lad, only 18 years of age. Arron Tullus was the son of an Arbite Grand Marshal in a hive city on a forge world. Having lived his entire life on the upper floors of his hive city he was fairly happy and content with life, until the city was taken utterly by surprise by a Genestealer Cult. Having seen filthy cultists explode through his family's estate and tear the family servents asunder he grabbed the family heirlooms (a relic plasmagun and revered arbite issue carapace armour) and fled to the nearest space-worthy craft. Not knowing the fate of his father or the world, he has vowed to one day return and rid the world of the stench of Tyranid scum.

this is one of my favorate models so far, it is the first time i've tried to paint wood grain without it being sculpted onto the model, achiving this has given me confidence on what im planning for my dreadknight(i havent bought one, just planning, scheming if you will) ;)

[EDIT]
new money total is: £50.62 (after making a large order to bits & kits, as well as some models from ebay)
total points: still building so difficult to say now.

#16 ·
i do love the brilliant stupidity of making a plasmagun out of wood :p

if he survives the gets hot roll it becomes a 1 shot flamer as he hurls it at the enemy :p

#18 · (Edited)
Ask and Ye shall recieve, user!

here is the first 9 members to this project :D

[edit] incase you were wondering, from left to right: warrior acolyte, crusader, warrior acolyte, crusader, warrior acolyte, warrior acolyte, servitor, jokearo(who'd have guessed!?) and a death cult assassin. [/edit]

also, my finecast coteaz came today, so the money total is now:
money spent: £60.82

#19 ·
Also, since its sunny outside and I've had a good day at work, I'll treat you lot to a perview of the next nine currently waiting to be painted up :D

I've put my coteaz on a bigger base so he can fit his pet on there, guessing is not only welcome, but encouraged :D

also, behind the classified banner is my vindicre assassin, but he is something special :D

#21 ·
im just trying to find somewhere to get alot of storm bolters for cheap :p

also, henchmen squads can be as small as 3 models, so really its all about building the oprions right off the bat. (which i think is a brilliant move by gw, i only wish more units across the 40k range were this customisable)

im working on a list right now, and will post it soon :D

#23 ·
just had a fun idea for my captian :D

the cape the coteaz wears, i shall paint up as the document that signifies him as a rogue trader :D

so, lots of writing and ofcourse, the Emporer's signature across the bottom :p

#27 ·
Thankyou for your kind words :D

As a notice to ALL heresy members, if you have an idea for a character and can think of the model they would represent, I will be more than happy to include them(should i build their model). :D

I'd like to get some others in this project, not just me. Mainly because I, alone, will make a very 2d army(an army purely from my point of view), where the 3rd dimention will come from others, with new perspectives and ideas to realise.

#28 ·
I have a couple for you based off of characters which i am planning on using in an IG army sooner or later.

The first i planned to use to rep marbo

Terry Alexandra (he claims his surname is pronounced Alexander, people argue at their own risk.)

Terry is a real mans man, always wanting to be on the front line and scoffing at any unmanly behaviour. The closest aproximation i could give of Terry is Ross Kemp, but less girly ( Terry see's things like wearing bodyarmour and taking cover as girly). Inflated by his own ego and a seemingly miraculous ability to survive battles despite horrendous injuries, Terry has earned a reputation as something of a loose cannon. His bizare habit of saying his own name after he has made a statement and pointing his thumb at himself in self recognition has earned him all manner of emnity from those he converses with.

Terry Alexander quotes:
"When life gives you lemons....uppercut life in the chops and demand a steak. Terry Alexander."

"If at first you don't suceed.....exterminatus. Terry Alexander."

" One in the pipe, twelve in the clip. Time for a family picnic. Terry Alexander"

The second one i was planning on using as a blank in inquisitor though he could work just as well as a crazed psyker.

Old Abe AKA: Bin Man Abe

Abe is nuts. A cast off of human society little is known of his past and he is in no condition to talk about it. Not that he can't talk, he barely shuts up even when no one is nearby, it's just that the terrors of the warp have long ago left Abe with only a fleeting concept of reality and his gibberish babbling is usually incoherant.

Pysically Abe is unharmed but even from a distance it is obvious that he is having issues.
Abe has a thick matted beard and mop of greasy hair, his clothes vary from day to day but usually he has odd shoes on (if any) as it's the only way he gets to show off his entire collection. Abe likes to steal peoples shoes as a distraction from the eddies of the warp and is usually seen cackling with glee as he runs off down the ship's corridoor with yet another addition to his collection.

Bin Man Abe quotes:
"OOo thems some nice shooz you got, i'll ave dem from ya. Wot no shooz?
WELL HEX ON YA THEN!!!! cursa squirmy deff cursa squirmy deff whammy whammy bosh!!!!"

"Greenskins eh? i 'ad greenskin once. Bad hooch'll do that.....but i (mumbling indecipherable) .....and then i was flying all on me own. I had eggs."

#30 ·
haha I love it!! so, terry i would see as a crusader (because guns just ain't personal enough. terry alexander)

and bin man abe would obviously be a psyker XD

Mate this is looking good as the squad grows. Can't wait to see more. and I like that wood-effect plasma gun :)
Rev
you wont have to wait long, threse 2 more comming today, once my hangover clears (goodbye night with the lads) XD

#32 · (Edited)
As promised, 2 more crew members :D

First up is one of a troupe of 5 traveling Eldar Harlequins, Lor-Gol-Gost-Deorn. A fairly private lot, it is roumered that only the Captian has seen their faces. They inhabit a small cruiser that they use as their living quarters and a stage on special occasions. They have been with the fleet for many yers now, but still claim to only be passengers, dispite fighting alongside the order on many occasions. When asked why they follow the order, they simply reply 'Life is a dance, and you lot have a good rythem!'

Now this next crewmember is my vindicre assassin and causes one of two extreme reactions in people that view it, so look at your own peril!!

#33 · (Edited)
+++SUPER AMAZING SURPRISE UPDATE TIMES+++

Well, I did not think I would get THIS guy done today, then again Ive been painting him more or less all day haha

So, may I introduce you to the head honcho, the star of the show, the Captian himself, HAAKEN RACKAM!! (right now I am imagining a croud going absolutely balistic)

A strange man, he can be your best friend, or your worst enemy. Not one for second chances, if you cross him, be prepared to suffer his unbound wrath(see: vidicre's bio ;) )
He has been in command of The Order of the Crimson Dawn for 15 years now, taking the helm after his Grandfather stepped down(The fleet would have gone to Rackam's father, but he is leading a simpler life in the heart of the Tau Empire).
A very driven man, once he has made up his mind to do something, there isn't a force in the galaxy that could stop him. He believes that money is the highest authority and it is to this end that whenever it is involved his word are as true as the laws of physics.
As blunt as his hammer he has earned the respect of many and the distain of even more.

His faithful pet kroot hound was gifted to him by the Grand Shaper of a large kroot mercenary band as a mark of good faith between the two groups. His shuriken pistol was bought from another Rogue Trader that had fallen from the Imperial creed, a smuggler of Xenos technology. He carries around the skull of his first kill on the battlefeild proudly upon his chest, he would have the whole skull, but the jaw was oblitorated by his hammer (a regular occourance when you catch such a weapon in the face).

He wears the warrant of trade that allows him such a lifestyle upon his back, which he feels is the safest place as "there wont be a single foe that'll see my back!" (not the emprah's signature on the bottom right in red)

totting up some points here:
total(painted): 406
total(inc. unpainted but assembled): 499

its about time i should write a list, eh? haha

#35 ·
#38 ·
he better!! haha

i dont know if walking the plank is feasable in space, but im sure there could be some pirate-y type of punishment for slackers XD

keelhauling might work :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.