Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Troy's Eldar Project log

30K views 187 replies 55 participants last post by  troybuckle 
#1 ·
Welcome all, this will be my new Project Log for my new Army of Eldar.

I’ve always favored the elder in 40k and many years ago when I started this hobby in 3ed edition I played Eldar, before I gave it up., so I’m pumped to be starting this new army! Updates might come a little slow for this project seeing as I want to try to do the very best I can with every mini, and I still have my Nids to work on.

To kick things off I should let you know what I’ve got right now:

2 war walkers
2 Wave Serpents
1 Fire Prism
10 Dire Avengers
20 Guardians with weapon Platforms
6 Fire Dragons
6 howling banshees

To help me out with this amount of painting, especially on the vehicles, I have got myself a new compressor and duel action Airbrush, and I’m going to learn how to use it lol.

I really like the fluff behind a lot of the craftworlds and I had a hard time deciding which to go with, however I am leaning strongly towards Alaitoc because of their fluff and colors. As for the Aspect Warriors I will hold as true to their colors as I can while trying to tie in Alaitoc where I can.

Right now all I have painted is this farseer you may have seen a while ago on here, and this Warlock I picked up to try out some freehand:

Right now I am working on some dire avengers between my different Nids projects and so far all I have done is there bases:

That’s it for now, stay tuned and to those who are following my Nid’s Plog don’t worry I will still be working on them for the rest of the year!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are starting the dire aventgers, and want some practische with your new toy, I'd highly recomend watching this video:

Hope it helps. :)

#6 ·
If you are starting the dire aventgers, and want some practische with your new toy, I'd highly recomend watching this video:

Hope it helps. :)
Wow awesome video, thanks for that it helped out alot. Going to be trying some of that out when i get comfortable with the gun!!

:shok:

The painting is... beautiful! Simply amazing. I'm going to be following this rather closely :)

Have some rep :grin:
Thanks a lot man, glade you liked them

Looking forward to following this one Troy! Love the blue and white scheme for the Eldar and the Farseer and the Warlock are looking good.
Thanks, both those models took a lot of time to do, but i like painting them its a good change from my nids, much more colorful.

Some really good stuff!~ Looking forward to seeing more!~
Glade to have you follow along.

#7 ·
So I have the Dire Avengers all assembled, but I left off their heads and guns to make it easier to paint., I also magnetized the Exarch so I can swap out all the different weapon options on him(1/16 size magnets).

I then went ahead and primed them last night and as you can see I stuck all the heads and guns on pushpins and stuck them up right in some clay, to be able to prime them properly and hopefully this will make them easy to paint.

#8 ·
I used my airbrush for the first time and based the Dire Avengers in enchanted blue. It took me a while to get the PSI and air flow right and you really have to thin the paints down to almost water consistency (milk they say). That took a while because it was even thinner then I was thinking. Once I figured that out the process was smooth though, and my duel action brush was great for controlling the amount of paint sprayed, and the fact that you can just spray air is awesome for drying paint and fixing over spray.

Im not going to attempt to spray the highlights on like in the video above, because my skill is no where near that good yet, instead im going to go in and put them on with a brush. Once that is done I am going to give them a wash in blue then in purple.

#9 ·
very nice so far Troy. Glad you are getting the hang of the airbrush as I think it will really help you when it comes to working on your Grav Tanks. Looking forward to seeing how things progress.

#10 ·
I'd give it a shot to try the highlights really. The coats seems very nice and evenly applied. Worst case scenario, you can redo them in case the highlights don't turn out the way you'd like them. If you manage to put on such a steady basecolor already, I'm sure you won't gunk the miniature up in a thick coat of paint.

And if you are gonna be doing tanks, you'll be using the airbrush for highlighting anyway, so why not have a go now? :)

#12 ·
So, after what feels like……… forever, I finally finished my Dire Avengers. A few trips out of town and painting my Nids for the army painting challenge got it the way of finishing these guys. However, the biggest set back was when I went to hit them with mat varnish. My spray booth was very dusty and full of primer particles and when I sprayed the guns I fucked them up full of dust. Thanks God it was just the guns, but I had to repaint 7/10 of them.

Here is the full squad.

Some close ups

Different weapon combos for the Exarch.

Overall, I’m happy with these guys. I stuck with the codex colors for the most part, except I went with a deeper blue because seeing as most my army will be blue I wanted to distinguish these a little more, so they were washed with purple. I also gave them a white kneepad and a free hand symbol, because I am planning on having at least 2 squads of these guys and I wanted to designate them.

#18 ·
Nice work on the Avengers mate! The blue is especially nice and vibrant.
Thanks, I’m glade that you are following along in this one as well.

Very nice Avengers looking forward to seeing more of your work.
I am hoping to do some Fire Dragons next month as part of the army painting challenge, so stay tuned for them as well.

troybuckle,

Excellent work so far on the Dire Avengers, Warlock and Farseer. The freehand rune symbols are a nice touch as well. Of the current Eldar range my favorite kit has to be the Avengers. Such simple models but the details make them look so cool. You seem to have a good grasp on working with bright tones and with the airbrush I'm sure you'll be churning out some sick stuff in the near future. Keep it up and +rep for your excellent work so far.
Thanks, I think that the Avengers are the nicest Troop Choice for sure, but I cant pick a favorite unit lol, which is one of the reason Eldar are so awesome - all their units are nice IMO.

Those Avengers looks damn awesome, especially the blue and the Exarchs Dire Sword and power weapon. And have some well earned +rep.
Thanks again. The power weapons came out nice, but now that I got some practice with the method I think I can turn out some better ones next time.

:shok: wow... I am incredibly impressed. Amazing job on all of these. I wish I could rep you... but it would give 0 rep :/ so there is no point... But yeah, great job on these I cant wait to see more
Thanks anyway man, I remember when I wanted to give out rep but I couldn’t either!

#15 ·
troybuckle,

Excellent work so far on the Dire Avengers, Warlock and Farseer. The freehand rune symbols are a nice touch as well. Of the current Eldar range my favorite kit has to be the Avengers. Such simple models but the details make them look so cool. You seem to have a good grasp on working with bright tones and with the airbrush I'm sure you'll be churning out some sick stuff in the near future. Keep it up and +rep for your excellent work so far.

#17 ·
:shok: wow... I am incredibly impressed. Amazing job on all of these. I wish I could rep you... but it would give 0 rep :/ so there is no point... But yeah, great job on these I cant wait to see more

#20 ·
The new FineCast I assume? Are they exactly the same as their metal OOP counterparts? Looking forward to seeing what you do with them. Is it going to be a nice clean orange akin to the blue of your Dire Avengers or are you going to try and graduate from red to yellow vertically?

#21 ·
Actually, they are the metal models, I got them and a unit of howling banshees just before the first wave of finecast came out, but I do have a box of striking scorpions in finecast.

I will also being doing these very traditional, bringing them from a bright orange to a yellow highlight.

#22 ·
So here is the test scheme I have for my Eldar walkers, tanks, and jetbikes. I based it off a forgeworld color scheme.

I have Electric Blue, highlighted and shaded, blending into Hawk Turquoise highlighted and shaded.

I tried to use bleach bone highlighted and shaded on the underside of the model, however I don’t like it much. Maybe it would be better going from a light bone to white.

I was thinking about changing the bottom of the vehicles into black shaded into gray.

Let me know what you all think?

New photo booth!

#24 ·
I really like the scheme and I would vote for the grey over the tan on the bottom.

I need to get me a photobooth, where did you get yours from?
Thanks, im not big on the underside. I think that a black into a gray on the edges, would look nice, “Buypainted” on YouTube, has a nice tutorial of painting an elder falcon, where he uses black to gray and I think it looks real nice.

I got the photo booth from a local camera store, its collapsible and folds into a small caring case about 6”x6”x2” it cost 39.99 and the tripod cost 13.99 from walmart. I already owned the lamps.

#26 · (Edited)
Great work on the Dire Avengers, Troybuckle. With both you and Midge913 getting such great results from your air brush, I'm getting the urge to try it out as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Fire Dragon's develop.

I've got this visual image in my head of several shades of grey that slowly transition from the darker out to the lighter in maybe 3 - 5 steps........

I assume that you did the transitioning on the airplane model using your airbrush....?

#28 ·
@ Apidude, thanks for the compliment. Got a good start on the dragons, but there on hold at them moment while on work on a Necron Overloard. I was thinking of going with 3 steps from black to gray, and then a light wash in Badab black followed shortly after drying with streaking using alcohol covered brush. Yes I did all the work on the plane with my airbrush to get some practice.

@ Dejinn24 – I just done a quick google of that craft work and im interested, do you have any links to more info beside for the 40k lexicon. I was going for something similar to this look, but with deeper blues and turquoise.

Hopefully I can get results as good as yours.

#30 ·
Oh, I like the new photo tent. Good to see you found one for yourself at a not too steep price. The test colourscheme looks good btw. I don't really see what's wrong with the bone to be honest... but that's a very subjective thing.

Good luck finding a good scheme for your vehicles :)

#31 ·
Nice work on the plane Troy, I think it looks great just as is, however, its what you think and prefer. Either way, I think you will do a great job just form seeing what you have done so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.