Warhammer Fantasy: Homebrew

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > Warhammer Rules Discussion > WFB Houserules and Homebrews

Warhammer Fantasy: Homebrew

WFB Houserules and Homebrews

#1 Old 04-15-11, 03:36 AM Warhammer Fantasy: Homebrew
Vaz
Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Warhammer Fantasy: Homebrew

We see variant units, variant characters, hell, even variant armies. But one thing you rarely see is variant rules aside from in the odd tournament, and that's usually just to ban certain game breaking powerful combo's; not really a remake of the rules.

A slightly drunk chat at 3am in the morning has awoken in me a desire to actually "have a go". It's not about creating a new game; I like the Fantasy World, and love the background, but the rules just no longer excite me more than "yeah, this shit's broken, lets abuse it".

Anyway, been putting down a few new ideas - starting with 2 of the very basics - Stats, and Game/Turn Sequence. As this is effectively, a total conversion, it's not got that much similar other than setting with the Fantasy Game, or in particular, 8th Edition; so for Comments and criticism; please don't let that affect you.

So - First of all.

STATS
Movement - Mo
As not everything moves at the same speed in Fantasy, ranging from 6-7 foot tall Elves to 4-5 foot tall Dwarfs, this is important.
Weapon Skill - WS
A staple of the game, I'm not going to be getting rid of this stat.
Ballistic Skill - BS
As above.
Strength - S
As above.
Toughness - T
As above.
Wounds - W
As above.
Speed - Sp
This is just a rename of Initiative; you'll see why a little bit later on. Otherwise, as above.
Attacks - A
As above.
Leadership - Ld
As above.
Magic Attack - MA
This is a new stat, designed for quick at a glance checks on magic users capabilities. All models will have this stat - and the plans I have in mind for the Magic Phase will show how this value comes about. It currently is used for the generation of Power Dice.
Magic Defence - MD
See above; but for Dispel Dice.
Unit Mass - UM
This a reference for one thing currently; Killing Blow. I'm currently thinking of removing the Heroic Killing Blow, and instead granting a Killing Blow value; so a Bloodthirster could kill an Ogre in one strike, but maybe not another Bloodthirster. This unit mass value is the reference for that.
GAME SEQUENCE

1. - Turn Up
2. - Deploy Terrain
3. - Choose/Roll for Mission Type
3.1 - Deploy mission specifics
4. - Choose/Roll for Deployment Zones
4.1 - Choose/Roll for Deployment Method
5 - Begin the game.

Turn Sequence

1. - Initiative Phase
Both players roll a D6 and add to your general's leadership in this phase. Whichever scores higher will win Initiative for that turn. If the general is dead and there are no other Initiative capable models alive, then each army will have an Initiative value assigned to it which is used in the meanwhile. There are also several modifiers to the Initiative value - both from General only Magic Items, but also innate bonuses, such as the High Elves, if playing in the first turn and you managed to finish deploying before your opponent, and whether the opponent went first the turn before for example. Naturally, the winner may choose to hand over Initiative to the opponent.
2. - Reserves Phase
This is when Ambushers, pursuit moves, and, pretty much, any off-table unit may choose to come on. Primarily of use to Skirmishers, Fast Cavalry etc, but also allows certain units to be deployed as a "Second Line", perhaps Ambushes. Rules will be written to allow for Aerial, Portal and Subterranean Deep Strikes, Ambushes from units hidden in terrain (think Merwyrms from Deep Water; or Waywatchers from Tree's, to even Undead from Burial Mounds), as well as basic moving back onto the table as if overrun etc. Both players move simultaneously, with the player with Initiative placing their units first, followed by the player without.
3. - Movement Phase
Like above, is done simultaneously. Charge reactions updated to allow Counter Charges and the like; or to brace.
4. - Magic Phase
The biggest overhaul. Done Simultaneously in accordance with Initiative.
5. - Shooting Phase
As above.
6. - Close Combat Phase
Only one phase of close combat is fought, but it's done in the manner that fits the combat rules; I've not yet decided, aside from always strike in Initiative order is gone.
MAGIC PHASE
Power Dice Generation
Both Players; For every friendly model/unit with a Magic Attack value, make a Magic Attack Test (2D6). If passed, the difference is given to the pool. If failed and a double is rolled, opponent gets +D3 Dispel Dice.
Dispel Dice Generation
Both Players; For every friendly model/unit with a Magic Defence value, make a Magic Defence Test. If passed, difference added to the Pool. If failed and a double is rolled, opponent gets +D3 Power Dice.
Player with Initiative Casts Spells
If a Double 6 is rolled, uses the Empowered ability, and no attempt to Dispel may be made. If a double 1 is rolled, spell is not cast, and rolls on Miscast Table.
Player without attempts to Dispel
If a Double 6 is rolled, user Counter Spells, turning it back on the caster; the nearest friendly Dispel Capable model to a model affected by the spell may now choose to automatically and immediately cast the spell as if it was their own, no dice required. If a double 1 is rolled, the dispel utterly fails, even if the prerequisite value was achieved.
Player without Casts Spells
See for Player with.
Player with attempts to Dispel
See for Player without.
Magic Resistance
Magic Resistance is a new type of save available to certain models. It works against all Spell Effects, unless it specifically says there is none.
Sphere: Affects the model and models inside the Area of Effect; usually listed as unit, or units within a certain distance. Listed as Magic Resistance: Sphere (4+).
Personal: Affects purely the model itself. Listed as Magic Resistance: Personal (4+).
And that's where we're at so far. I'm thinking of keeping Lord Magic Levels to 7 or 8 depending on ability, 6-7 for Hero casters, while special characters, such as Teclis or powerful casters such as the Greater Daemon of Tzeentch can crack out maybe 9 or even 10 Magic Attack and/or Defence. Warrior Priests, Runesmiths and Khorne Combat could have Magic Defences equivalent to Heroes, while Hybrid Characters can become much more available, but require investment to become powerful warrior mages through item upgrades - such as Blood Dragon Vampires or Tzeentch Lords (as opposed to Tzeentch Mages).

I'd really appreciate some comments, and perhaps even criticism at this early stage.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=164474

Enter here to get yourself worldwide notoriety.
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 04-15-11, 03:44 AM Warhammer Fantasy: Homebrew
Vaz

[Reserved]

#3 Old 04-15-11, 03:45 AM Warhammer Fantasy: Homebrew
Vaz

{Reserved}

#4 Old 04-15-11, 03:46 AM Warhammer Fantasy: Homebrew
Vaz

(Reserved)

#5 Old 04-15-11, 10:57 AM Warhammer Fantasy: Homebrew
coke123
coke123's Flag is: Australia

It looks interesting, I especially like the idea for the MA and MD stats. That said, this looks like it's going to get really complicated really quickly; just remember, simple solutions are often the best ones.

Also known as BaselessElm

#6 Old 05-11-11, 03:53 PM Warhammer Fantasy: Homebrew
HiveMinder

Agreed. My initial thoughts were that this would end up being very complicated, but I'm chalking that up to it being quite a departure from the current mechanics we all love (or hate).

I'm particularly fond of the simultaneous Phases, i.e. both move, both shoot, etc. however, I've found from experience that this is very tricky to pull off. Movement and tactical positioning, in games like Warhammer are vitally important, and often the person going second has the advantage. If you don't mind my input, I have a few ideas you might consider to deal with these problems.

The first idea is something I've seen in Battle Tech, where any damage done in a phase isn't inflicted until the end of the phase. So for example, if I have the initiative in the Magic phase, and I cast the Dreaded 13th at a unit with a wizard in it and turn them all into rats, the wizard will still get to cast his spells befoer becoming a rat. This helps enforce the fact that both sides are casting spells/shooting at the same time, and gives the player who won the initiative the advantage he deserves. Namely, going second.

With simultaneous movement, the player who goes first has the advantage of reacting to the other player, giving him the best tactical positioning. It is then unfair that to get that positioning, his troops would then get shot and killed first.

My second idea was that perhaps only use the initiative for the movement phase, and then have all other phases dictated by the Speed attribute of the units. So jsut like there is an Initiative order for combat currently, there could be a Speed order to determine who attacks when. So all wizards with Speed 6 cast their spells (player with initiative goes first in the case of a tie), then all wizards with Speed 5, etc. This method has the advantage of being able to resolve attacks as they happen instead of keeping track until the end.

As for your magic phase, I can see a potential flaw with the power/dispel dice generation. There is a huge potential for extremely lethal magic phases, which might overshadow the rest of the game. I'm not sure what ranges you were considering for the Magic stats, but I would imagine they would be something like Ld. A couple rolls of a 2 or 3 would mean your looking at 14+ Power Dice while your opponent only has 4 dispel dice. Additionally, this problem would become more prevalent with the number of models with Magic stats included in the army, and might lead to a trend of packing as many magic users into an army list as possible.

Last edited by HiveMinder; 05-11-11 at 04:00 PM.

#7 Old 05-11-11, 04:14 PM Warhammer Fantasy: Homebrew
HiveMinder

I was thinking it over, and I'm going to have a go at the dice generation. You can take from it what you will.

Instead of Magic Attack and Magic Defense, I'm going with one stat 'Magic Aptitude', which will be a racial feature with values ranging 1-6 and (-). (Special Rules can govern these for those more suited to attack or defense.)

Generating Power Dice - Each wizard adds his Wizard lvl to his MA and rolls a D6, generating the difference in power dice.

Generating Dispel Dice - Each unit with a MA value takes a MA test (normal characteristic test) if the test is passed, the unit generates a single dispel dice for their side. Each wizard adds his wizard level to his MA value and rolls a D6. He generates half of the difference in dispel dice (rounding down).

--------------
While I still like using only one stat, I had another idea while writing that using your method of dice generation, the difference being that perhaps instead of having power/dispel dice, you have a magic dice pool which can be used as either power or dispel dice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > Warhammer Rules Discussion > WFB Houserules and Homebrews