RECKLESS DRIVING = SCAM in Virginia

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic

Off Topic Totally off-topic chat in here.

RECKLESS DRIVING = SCAM in Virginia

Off Topic

#1 Old 03-21-11, 08:46 PM RECKLESS DRIVING = SCAM in Virginia
TheSpore
TheSpore's Flag is: USA

Default RECKLESS DRIVING = SCAM in Virginia

So check this out.

its 12:49 AM and I get pulled over goin 86 in a 70 on an an empty interstate.

I think ok well Im gonna get a speeding ticket and just pay a nice lil fine or whatever. But NO In the state of virginia anything over 80 is reckless driving and is a felony or class 1 misdemenor. So now I have a court date for a charge that can have me jailed up to a year just for doing what most people on an empty interstate late at night and I didnt even realize I was speeding. WTF.

I just paid $750 to a lawyer to take care the issue and still may pay up to 3500 for the charge. It turns out the courts time and money is wasted daily on these dumb charges. I have a squeky clean record and havnt even been pulled over for almost 10 or more years.

What is the BS...

#2 Old 03-21-11, 09:20 PM RECKLESS DRIVING = SCAM in Virginia
Orochi

Not going to be a prat or anything...

But you broke the law.
You were caught, even though others are doing it.

Burn the court house down.
Get a proper case filed against you ;)

#3 Old 03-21-11, 09:48 PM RECKLESS DRIVING = SCAM in Virginia
ckcrawford
Craw-Daddy

Shit. Thats good to know. I only ever drive 5+ miles over in VA. I've even heard that sometimes the cops pull over people for that too.

Indiana is where its at. 70mph, everyone goes 75-80.

#4 Old 03-21-11, 10:34 PM RECKLESS DRIVING = SCAM in Virginia
Djinn24
Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Tennessee its 70 and if you go under 85 you get run over.

#5 Old 03-21-11, 10:35 PM RECKLESS DRIVING = SCAM in Virginia
Unforgiven302
Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

The state of Virginia just passed the strict speeding laws that you have been charged with. Not that long ago it was just a ticket, a fine and a few points on your record. Now, it is a joke as you may have your licence suspended, major fines, court dates (and possible jail time for serious cases or repeat offenders). My family lives in VA and it used to take me 6 hours to get to their house, now, 8+ hours because I do not speed in VA at all.

A legal and simple trick I learned back in the day to try and get a moving violation case thrown out was to get the court date changed and hope the officer can't show up or doesn't show up on the new day. First off you need to know the officers schedule. Simply call the issuing officers department office and find out what days he is in court, what days he is off and what days he is on duty. You can request the court to change the hearing date and try to get a day that he is on duty. He can't be in court and on duty at the same time. So you show up, he doesn't, and as he isn't there to testify against you, the case is dropped, charges dismissed and you are off the hook.

Best of luck fighting the ticket, you'll need it.

Last edited by Unforgiven302; 03-21-11 at 10:38 PM.

#6 Old 03-21-11, 10:37 PM RECKLESS DRIVING = SCAM in Virginia
ckcrawford
Craw-Daddy

Yeah Virginia is being kind of stupid. Apparently before you read D.C. I believe if you have 3 or more people in your car you can go in the fast lane. But if you don't and your caught driving on it with less, you can get a big ticket.

#7 Old 03-21-11, 10:42 PM RECKLESS DRIVING = SCAM in Virginia
Unforgiven302
Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
Yeah Virginia is being kind of stupid. Apparently before you read D.C. I believe if you have 3 or more people in your car you can go in the fast lane. But if you don't and your caught driving on it with less, you can get a big ticket.
That is the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane that is identified by the large white diamonds painted on the lane and the signs. Two or more people per vehicle and you can use the lane during certain hours, like in the morning rush hour or the evening rush hour. Motorcycles can use it too. During the middle of the day and late at night the lane is open to all traffic. The HOV times are posted on the signs along the road.

#8 Old 03-21-11, 10:53 PM RECKLESS DRIVING = SCAM in Virginia
Anarkitty
Anarkitty's Flag is: USA

Same thing in WA. >10mph over is Reckless Driving, <=10mph over is just speeding.
35 in a 25? A few hundred bucks. 36 in a 25? A few thousand and possible jail time.
I've found if the cop is in a good mood, he'll usually forgive the extra few mph and just write the ticket for 10-over. This saves them paperwork and time too.
If you're a dick (or they're in a bad mood) though, they'll hit you for everything they can. Just a fact of life.
Still, the law is the law. You were going 86 in a 70 zone. That's the risk you take.

And my Necromunda Escher gang project log (with lots of pictures)
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/....php?p=1007914

In our embrace of the pleasures of the flesh we feel the embrace of the Dark Prince
She asks nothing of us but to enjoy life, and in doing so we bring glory to Him
Give up your petty faiths and morals and join us in the bosom of the Goddess of Pleasure

#9 Old 03-21-11, 11:15 PM RECKLESS DRIVING = SCAM in Virginia
imm0rtal reaper
Sophisticated Psycopath
imm0rtal reaper's Flag is: Wales

I don't live in the U.S and while I agree, on empty roads, going a little over the speed limit is ok. But if you get pulled over for going just 1mph over the limit, you've broken then law and have no right to complain. You're aware of the speed limit and every time you break it should be prepared to face the full extend of the law.

Still sucks though and hope you manage to get out of it

#10 Old 03-21-11, 11:16 PM RECKLESS DRIVING = SCAM in Virginia
TheSpore
TheSpore's Flag is: USA

Hey i admit I was speeding and have no problem payinga ticket but this is just retarded overkill

yeah where im from in texas if you got pulled over for something like this you get a ticket and thats it.

Now my lawyer said its no big deal he does these everyday and my case is easy just because i have a clean record and its afirst offense it will get dropped down to a lesser charge. I just don't wanna go to jail over dumbass speeding ticket.

My lawyer instructed me that I will not have to be there and that he can represent me without my presence. Ive never heard of this though any of you ever heard of this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Off Topic