Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The Emporer's Feth - IG Army

15K views 137 replies 24 participants last post by  Hellados 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I have been 'blogging' with my buddy for a couple of years as we build and paint our armies but I want to get a bit more feedback as I go and see if I can slowly build up to getting a best army nomination (which we were going for at the last 40k Doubles Tournament).

This project log will see me take the army from a four hundred points to a thousand hopefully over the next year, I am not going to be too ambitious as having played against IG for a couple of years I know what kind of units work well for me so I can take my time painting and borrow from my mates horde when we wanna play tournie sized games.

I started my IG army last November and now have a Vendetta, a Chimera and a demolisher/executioner.

I will post some pics later today of what i have so far, any comments would be gratefully received, I spent some time on doing an Aquila head and wings on the Vendetta so I will do a quick tutorial on that as there were a few people asking how to do it and it took me ages to figure it out.

Here is how the Vendetta came together...

I cant seem to write next to the images but the Vendetta project goes like this (i did the head and wings in same way):

1. Draw the design in pencil

2. Trace the design onto something you can then use as a stencil to spray over (I used my sons 'messy mat' which I thought had seen better days and was due a change)

3. Get bollocked by my wife for using son's messy mat

4. Spray the wings white (I wanted to spray the model as much as possible as you get a nice clean, flat surface - I could free hand the design but i wanted to try this and see if you got a better look from it)

5. Tape the stencil onto the model

6. Spray it grey! ( I used Tamiya German Grey - after much research this was the 'look' i was going for - an army fighting in urban areas so dirty grey was my goal)

7. Remove the stencils and check out your handywork!

You will see that I also did some bits on the tail plane - I sprayed these white and then put masking tape over before spraying grey again.

8)I then went over the edges of the fuselage where there was white and added some grey weathering

9) there will be some white 'blocks' around the stencil outline where the tape was, just a bit of brush painting with grey to do here

10) A bit more weathering, and picking out the areas that would be worn by use and its nearly done.

I will post some close up photos of the finished article later...

See less See more
#2 ·
I like this. I like IG and I like the darker grey you are using coupled with the white as a nice contrast. Now all you have to do is whip up the rest of your army in a super-fast-order and get 'em painted. +rep

As an aside you uploaded your images as an attachment direct from your PC (I'm assuming). If you want to put text below each one you will have to enter them as an image with a URL address (there's a pic of a mountain in a yellow box you click on) from an image hosting site. I use photobucket but people use photoshack and I would imagine there are others.

#6 ·
thanks reverend, i am almost tempted just to get a stormraven just so i can do some more big stencils, but am gonna have to stick to the IG programme if i am gonna be ready for the next one.
I loved the stormraven in the top ten best armies - the weathering was superb. Am gonna work my way through that Imperial Armour book to see what the trick there is.

#8 ·
I really admire the stencil work, sir. The model looks really striking. I would say, however, that the model needs another contrast colour - but that's probably just because I'm a whore for three-colour schemes... :wink:

If it were me, I'd throw in some more banding / markings in another, contrasting colour - maybe red or blue.

Can't wait to see more from this thread. Are you planning on using stencils on the other vehicles / tanks in the army? When will you be adding some infantry?

#10 ·
@ reverend - nah, never picked up the book on the day, was too involved in the games to do anything sensible like thatg. Got it on order so should be arriving next week. I will do a quick review once i have had a shifty at it.

@ aquatic - thanks for the feedback, i was teamed up with my buddy for the Doubles Tourney at GW in Notts last weekend and we were trying for best army nominee, we were top twenty but didnt make the cut for top ten. I spoke to Nick Bayton to get some advice and he said he loved the look but it needed some more colour, so thanks I will definately be trying something else out to add a little more light.

#14 ·
I spoke to Nick Bayton to get some advice and he said he loved the look but it needed some more colour, so thanks I will definately be trying something else out to add a little more light.
What about something like the coloured bands WWII fighter aces had near their wing tips? Yellow or red would add that extra colour.

#12 · (Edited)
My demolisher was done in the same colours as the Vendetta and i went for bold white to provide the contrast and a focus.

Fuel drum and fuel cans on the back is from a Tamiya desert WW2 set i found reduced in a hobby store.

For the sandbags I first tried to use some pre-made Tamiya ones, they were ok but didnt sit right so i did a little research and decided to get some Milliput modelling clay and try making my own - it has been a great success i think. Its cheap stuff and really nice to work with. Simply mix (like green stuff) and roll into a long cylinder, then flatten the whole cylinder out and chop it up into sand bag sized sections. Pick up each section and pinch the ends of the bag as if they are sewn up there. Then lay them down, i tried to think how they would lie and tried to make it as realistic as possible. I put a few bullet holes, and bits of damage on the bags to give em character. Paint job was a mix of graveyard earth and charadon granite with a devlan mud wash. I did a little highlighting with deneb stone also. Top fun and easy really.

If i were to do any more it would be to add a bit more colour and maybe some kind of aquila design. The white was dabbed on with sponge after i had laid down some masking tape lines.

Here you go, your thoughts/critique are really appreciated...

[URL="
[/URL]

[URL="
[/URL]

[URL="
[/URL]

[URL="
[/URL]

#15 ·
Ok so here is the last thing i managed for the tournament, a chimera with a gun nest in the back. Sandbags were done in the same way, i grabbed some belts of ammo from IG heavy bolters (which i dont think i will use in my lists), grabbed the stubber off the turret, and scattered ammo, grenades weapons about the place. Last off was the guardsman insid scanning his surroundings for enemy. In the turret is the FW commander - lovely model to paint, dead easy to get the face looking good due to its quality.

This image is some playing around to get inspiration...

And the final thing...

#16 ·
@ Ezekiel - thanks and yeah - i will swap my images next time the sun comes out round these parts! I was just too impatient today to get the log started!

@ Khorne's Fist - Love the wing tip idea, i will look into that and glad to see you are supporting the right footie team!

#17 ·
More light nobby!!! And whats this about you nicking my army t0 play with - Get bloody painting!!!! Looking good mate, love the blog and tutorials. Nice reading them on here rather than by text!!
+rep

#20 ·
Some fantastic stuff here. Puts my stuff to shame.
Love the way you added sand bags, you sir are an artist.
+ my full wack of rep

#22 ·
@ hocky - thanks mate, will swap for some better photos next time I can get a daylight shot
@ forkmaster - cheers, the wings were a labour of love but bloody plead with em. Gotta thank Nick Bayton at GW for inspiration
@ likewise dude we will have to get the wolves and IG in a fight one day.
@ Dagmire thanks
@ sanctity - I wish I hadn't admitted the photos were taken in bad light now! They do kinda look misty cheers!

#23 ·
So I think I need to make some infantry to go with these tanks and it's about time I did some minis for a change. I am gonna do some basic guardsmen and some vets.
I need some help on differentiating guardsmen and vets - i am thinking of using FW cadian vets with the cool backpacks and breather unit heads. Any other models you can get for this? Any other suggestions?

My second mini project is gonna be a psyker battle squad. I am gonna play test them a little before doing the build but I have an idea for something a bit different. I am thinking of making a 'counts as' unit of psykers in a chimera. I was inspired kinda by the Ravenor stories where the psyker is confined within a life support floating chair type thing and I thought about doing a whole squad in some kind of floating vehicle. I like Dan Abnetts chair but I think it could suck as a model as it probably needs to be black and o just can't see it looking that good. My idea is for a floating disc elliptical in shape and with a central berth for the overseer and with eight more berths around him for the heads and shoulders of the psykers. They would all have wires coming out of their heads leading to a central point.

I would play it as a chimera unless it was blown up and then treat it as a 9 wound model using the psyker battle squad stats.

I would make each of the berths as small as possible, maybe even just modelling a brain or the head and shoulders. This would leave room for me to do some designs on the surface of the disc. I was thinking of something like the 'leafy runic' patterns you see on eldar vehicles sometimes but I need to think of a way to make it look imperial not eldar. I could cover it in script and some aquilas I guess but that wouldn't feel quite ao creative and fun.

I imagining the disc a bit the top of a tau gun turret, if FW made one a bit bigger I would try buying and converting.

What do you think?

#24 ·
You're description about the psyker squadron makes me think about this guys conversion for a psyker battle squad:

That thread over all is amazingly inspiring for many reasons. Rulewise such a miniature would probably be a disadvantage for you when playing but wickedly cool as a miniature.

I think the biggest challenge for you would be to make it look Imperial, seeing as the vehicles of the imperium has a very particular look to them. You should probably have a look at some of the Mechanicum artwork for inspiration to get the right feel.

If you where up to it you could include magnetized components that you could remove as the squad suffers wounds (either the "psyker-bits" themselves or some kind of vital parts to the machinery).

Just tossing out ideas basically :)

EDIT:
I must say that I like your pictures being a bit "foggy". Gives a real nice touch to the finished pieces. If you had some scenery behind them it would look like a diorama picture taken from an IA book :grin:

#25 ·
To differentiate between the vets and regs I suggest getting the FW elysian drop troops as your vets and the GW Cadians for your regulars its a really big differentiation that'll make you vets standout amongst your army.

#26 ·
@ xeno thanks for that link - the thread is awesome, really creative. I have been trawling FW, the spin off websites and GW for some options but am drawing blank again.

I think I will also need to consider the competetive side of my conversion as I dont want to disadantage myself too much. I am still liking the disc idea, and also mulling over a heavily converted chimera

more to follow...

@ Irish - i like the idea, however the Elysian minis are a fair bit smaller than cadians so there would be a bit of a clash there - i guess Elysians dont eat their weetabix in the morning! I do like their look though so may go down that route. I am also impressed by the cadian variants they have so may go with rebreathers, or maybe the hardened vets.

More to follow...

#27 ·
Last year me and my mate did some play testing with a psyker battle squad, and I must say that they kicked ass. On a side note, I backed them up with two penal legion squads, which also kicked ass but in a more random way, and made me think of some interesting conversion opportunities.

Those FW Cadian hostile environment heads do look pretty good and I think they would make excellent veterans. And the way they're painted on FW's website could makes them stand out, so you could steal the scheme?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.