Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

My little Grot's Waaagh!

9K views 54 replies 34 participants last post by  Storm of Iron 
#1 ·
Alrighty people, my 11 year old son has caught the Warhammer 40k bug thanks to me. Before he got too deep into the hobby I wanted to teach him the rules and get him playing a few games to see if he liked it enough to make the investment of money and time. Well, he has taken to it like a duck to water!

For him to have an appreciation and respect for his army I have made him spend his own hard earned money on any and all of his models with the exception of birthday and Christmas presents. If he wants something, he has to work for it.

After a year now, he has collected a sizable Ork army and has been learning and retaining the rules of the game really well. He is enjoying it and has a lot of fun. He has beaten me on many occasions, (and no, I didn't let him win, he genuinely beat me!) and puts up a good fight every time.

He has now begun to add some color to his models with advise and tips from me on how to paint. Again, for him to appreciate his army he will be painting all the infantry models. (As I enjoy painting vehicles and character models, he kindly asked me to do those for him as he wanted them to stand out from the rest. I graciously accepted.) I have started off by teaching him in steps. First is base coating. Next he will learn to shade and highlight followed by picking out details and finally with basing. By the time he is done, he should be on his way to being competent with all aspects of the game and hobby.

So here it is, my sons 40k Ork army project log!

ORK BOYS: FIRST SQUAD OF 10

He has mixed in shoota's and slugga's for now just to get an idea of painting different weapons and equipment. He has 30+ more standard boys to finish base coating before he moves on to shading and highlighting.

As he is very excited to have a fully painted army, look for this project log to be updated frequently!

See less See more
#2 ·
AWESOME! Awesome to see him taking so well to the hobby and the game. My 5 year old is really into it to and I am really looking forward to him being old enough to get the gameplay. His models are really nice and I hope you two have a lot more fun together.

#6 ·
I don't have any nippers, but my brother's lad is 9 and got into tyranids last year, he's the same, saves his money for his models bar christmas and birthday.

It all started for him with a game of the new space hulk, one look at the stealers and he was hooked!

The orks are looking good man, good to see he's gone with a proper army, not one of these beakee or panzee armies! ;-)

#11 ·
Very, very cool. The orks look wicked, especially the dark green skin.

Can't wait to get my kids painting, i hope they take to it as well as your son :victory:

#12 ·
Update Time!

UPDATE #1​

The Grot has been hard at work! He busted out 4 more base coated boys. He has the rest of this squad all lined up and ready to go, he just needs to do his chores first!

Let him know what you think, he likes to hear from you guys and gal's! :grin:

#17 ·
Haha awesome, although I do feel a bit emasculated for an 11 y/o painting better than me :p

His work ethic is phenomenal, how he can finish so much... jeaaalous!

#19 ·
nice nice nice... my two year old daughter and I have painting sessions when I'm not doing commissions... the most fun i ever have is watching her put a blob of paint from the bottom of the pot onto the model and me telling her she's doing an awesome job... it makes her want to keep going!

#20 · (Edited)
Update #3

UPDATE #3​

After a bit of a of a delay, (even 11 year olds have to deal with "real life") the Grot has been hard at work getting some paint on the mob!

First up is his third 10 man squad of boys!

(first 5)

(Second 5)

(Group shot)

THE MOB IS GROWING! 30 boys now in color!

Up next is the first three Loota's from his 8 man squad he has been dying to work on.

(I love the "Killz" markings he did, very Orky and very cool to see some "freehand" at age 11!)

Please leave a comment for the Grot, he lives to hear what you guys and gals have to say about his stuff, he really does! :eek:k:

#24 ·
Love the attention to detail on the lootas, it's great to see all the wiring and gubbinz picked out so neatly :victory:

That mob is certainly growing at an impressive rate, keep it up!

#25 ·
These are looking great!

I think he's gotten the most important miniature painting rule down solid - make the paint go where its supposed to, and not all over the place.

I know experienced painters who can't keep a their colors separate.

And the Little Grot did a nice job picking out the details, buckles, rivets, cables, cable ties, etc.

Tell yer Little Grot ta'keep up da'good werkz!

Cheers,
Kreuger

#27 ·
I really can't wait for my little snotling to take up the hobby. He already likes playing with "Daddy's little spikey mens" - usually when I'm trying to paint them, but's it's fun watching him march the Termies marching up and down the desk.

Though to be honest, your little grot is outpainting me on so many levels. I'm still at that "sticking out tongue" level of paintwork and it takes me all night to finish a model or two.

Really enjoying this log - it's making me plot about what army to start getting my boy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.