Tau Pulse Rifle or Pulse Carbine: which is better?

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics

40k Tactics Discuss the art of war in the 41st millenium. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

Tau Pulse Rifle or Pulse Carbine: which is better?

40k Tactics

#1 Old 01-12-11, 07:02 PM Tau Pulse Rifle or Pulse Carbine: which is better?
beamspam
Default Tau Pulse Rifle or Pulse Carbine: which is better?

Basically, as the title says I was wondering what people thought of the various strenghs and weaknesses of the two basic weapons avalible to fire warriors. Which is better? thoughts? comments?
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 01-12-11, 07:21 PM Tau Pulse Rifle or Pulse Carbine: which is better?
Midge913
Unfinished Project King
Midge913's Flag is: USA

For Firewarriors it is my opinion that your best bet is to stick with the Pulse Rifles over the carbines. Yes the carbines are pinning and that is an attractive option, but the fact that they only have an 18" range limits their tactical effectiveness with any army that wants to stay the hell away from an opponent. I would almost always recommend the pulse rifle to take advantage of its long range and rapid fire option.

#3 Old 01-12-11, 07:23 PM Tau Pulse Rifle or Pulse Carbine: which is better?
Stella Cadente
blahblahblahblah
Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

one has a range of 30" with str5 rapid firing goodness which fits the role of long range attack or short range bombardment perfectly.

the other has only got 18" of 1 shot failure, sure it makes you take pinning checks....bit failing a pinning check is as rare as michael bay making a good movie, it never happens.

pretty obvious, depsite me prefering the concept and look of the carbine and wishing it was better, if it was assault 2 even without pinning I'd love it.

#4 Old 01-12-11, 11:50 PM Tau Pulse Rifle or Pulse Carbine: which is better?
dspadres

In an army that favors staying away from everything you don't want to get yourself into a position that forces you to get close. The problem with carbines is they are only assault 1; 2 and they would be sick.

What you could try doing is putting a squad of them in a devilfish and have it run around providing close range fire support for squads of rifle equipped warriors but that may be tricky to pull off.

#5 Old 01-13-11, 12:40 AM Tau Pulse Rifle or Pulse Carbine: which is better?
ChugginDatHaterade
Banned
ChugginDatHaterade's Flag is: Russia

I would recommend using the pulse rifles for the reason stated above. But you only want to use 1 squad of 6 fire warriors, and fill the rest of your army up with kroot.

#6 Old 01-13-11, 12:41 AM Tau Pulse Rifle or Pulse Carbine: which is better?
JAMOB
So be it.
JAMOB's Flag is: USA

For FW its a waste to give them carbines in most cases because they cant always reach and only ever get 1 shot, but they can be useful. Im Blood Angels and was playing my little brother who has tau, and i used scouts to come in from the side via outflank. He managed to run away and keep out of range while still firing for a while and had other FW to back them up.

Either can be useful: mostly rifles with a squad of carbines on the side (depending on your opponent of course) is probably what i would do. Alternatively you could place gun drones on the sides.

#7 Old 01-13-11, 12:02 PM Tau Pulse Rifle or Pulse Carbine: which is better?
Stella Cadente
blahblahblahblah
Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChugginDatHaterade View Post
and fill the rest of your army up with kroot.
your opponent would agree, add more no-save piss poor CC units please

#8 Old 01-13-11, 01:46 PM Tau Pulse Rifle or Pulse Carbine: which is better?
MetalHandkerchief
Ranty ranter!
MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Leave the carbines to drones. Putting carbines on FW's is a waste of points for a weapon that should be cheaper than the Rifle. Even with a rifle, Fire Warriors are currently overpriced in 5th edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspadres View Post
In an army that favors staying away from everything
Is this another "Tau is a shooty gun line army" fallacy, because if it is, stop giving advice. Tau are mobile first and foremost, then shooty second. Playing Tau right means lots of jet packs and precise movement to just barely deny enemy assaults - and using vehicles to their full extent.

Static Tau will always lose against mobile Tau.

Last edited by MetalHandkerchief; 01-13-11 at 01:51 PM.

#9 Old 01-13-11, 02:12 PM Tau Pulse Rifle or Pulse Carbine: which is better?
Midge913
Unfinished Project King
Midge913's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHandkerchief View Post
Leave the carbines to drones. Putting carbines on FW's is a waste of points for a weapon that should be cheaper than the Rifle. Even with a rifle, Fire Warriors are currently overpriced in 5th edition.

Is this another "Tau is a shooty gun line army" fallacy, because if it is, stop giving advice. Tau are mobile first and foremost, then shooty second. Playing Tau right means lots of jet packs and precise movement to just barely deny enemy assaults - and using vehicles to their full extent.

Static Tau will always lose against mobile Tau.
I know that you quoted dspadres, but I said something similar. I meant it solely as staying out of assault not necessarily meaning a static gun line, because that is suicide for Tau. I solely meant to take advantage of their mobility to remain firing as much as possible for as many turns as possible, not to promote the "Tau are a shooty gun line army" fallacy.

#10 Old 01-13-11, 04:08 PM Tau Pulse Rifle or Pulse Carbine: which is better?
Stephen_Newman
Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

Rifles any day of the week. The army relies on keeping the other guy away as far as possible by shooting over long distances. So lets give your troops weapons that relies on them being close to the enemy when a lot of units have the capability of 18 inch assaults. Not thanks.

Oh filling the army with kroot is the best thing for most opponenets. Kroot are laughable and scare nobody and can be kept off with a few boltgun rounds.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Tactics