2000pts Farsight Army

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tau Army Lists

2000pts Farsight Army

Tau Army Lists

#1 Old 08-16-10, 08:42 AM 2000pts Farsight Army
DSheppard91
DSheppard91's Flag is: England
Default 2000pts Farsight Army

Hi all, this is my 2000 point Farsight Renegade Army List

O'Shovah
Commander- Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, command and control node + Shield drone oh and Iridium Armour
Bodyguard- Airbursting etc, missile pod, targetting array
Bodyguard- Ion Blaster, Missile pod, positional relay

Stealth Team
XV8 burst Cannon, missile pod, targetting array +2 GD
XV8 TL Fusian Blaster, Targetting array +2 GD

3 FW teams of 12, + 2 GD each

1 FW team of 12 with carbines in a Devilfish

Piranha

2x 5 man Drone Team

and 2 Broadsides with Targetting Arrays

Comes to 1999 points

Any feedback would be appreciated, i know i havnt gone into huge detail so not to waiste peoples time so if you want more specific details then just ask

the general idea of the army is the 3 FW teams hold the line with the XV88's and the commander and his bodyguard whilst the drones and pirahna and the devilfish FW's flank the enemy whilst O'shovah deepstrikes with the 2 XV8's and do some damage

Thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 08-16-10, 03:00 PM 2000pts Farsight Army
C'Tan Chimera
C'Tan Chimera's Flag is: USA

This list isn't going to turn out well, Dsheppard. Forgive me for what seems to be harsh criticism, but I'm going to try and save you a lot of frustration here.

First off, as much as I find O'Shovah a fun character, he really isn't a good choice unless you're going up against Orkz. Everyone in the army gets one up to their WS , but it's dumbed down by the fact it applies only if you're going up against Orkz. Otherwise all he does is restrict your other unit choices.

That includes only Farsight can be taken as a commander, and you couldn't use your other commander at all. You can keep the bodyguards though. But even then, they really need to be spruced up. The Airbursting Launcher and the Ion Blasters are interesting weapons, but they're only particularly effective against horde forces like Tyranids and IG. If you go up against any sort of Space Marine army or something akin to them, they won't be very useful.

The thing with the Battlesuits is their loadouts. Rather then try to make a "one size suits all" class, you need to ask yourself what you're going to be up against and pick the appropriate weaponry. Burst Cannons and flamers are lethal against Orkz and Nids, while plasma rifles and missile pods will punch holes through Space Marines.

Expanding on that, why Stealthsuits? I'm not particularly sure how you got that Missile Pod in there, either. The Stealthsuits are wonders against Horde armies, so if you expect to be fighting the likes, go ahead and keep them. They're pretty good, although at a 2000 points list you might want to add more to their ranks.

The Fire Warriors are all good with the exception that you might want to hand out some more Devilfish to them. It costs some points, yes, but at 2000 you really don't have too much to lose. The ability to flee incoming assault maniacs and the Fish of Fury cover saves are worth it.

I could see where you were going with the Pirhanas, but you need a large group of them to be effective, and really your Stealthsuits could serve the same purpose as them, if even a little better.

I love Gun Drones. They're cheap robots with pinning weapons and always underestimated by the opponent until they're right in their faces and driving them crazy. No harm done whatsoever with fielding them, just keep in mind they won't be able to do that much on their own without some support.

I'd give the Broadsides some shield drones because they're going to be fire magnets, but otherwise you're all set there. Better yet in your case, cut out the Broadsides and replace it with a Hammerhead. Same power, better mobility.

And finally, there's the aspect of the whole force. With Tau, the whole emphasis is on coordinating the units to work together to accomplish things. Armies like Space Marines are much more 'noob friendly' with their superpowered one men armies. The big problem here is I can't see how your units will be able to work with eachother.

An early mistake Tau players *such as myself* make is planting all your units in a big line across the table thinking you can blow the enemy apart. Doing this makes your whole force one big target for an assault rush. If you gave all your Fire Warriors Devilfish transports, you could remedy this- but the broadsides will have no hope of keeping up. So as I said earlier, replace them with the Hammerhead.

As I said, I apologize for having ripped up your list so bad, but a game using this wouldn't have ended well for you at all and I want to try to make sure that wouldn't happen.

#3 Old 08-17-10, 09:45 AM 2000pts Farsight Army
Alex
Alex's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Tan Chimera View Post
First off, as much as I find O'Shovah a fun character, he really isn't a good choice unless you're going up against Orkz. Everyone in the army gets one up to their WS , but it's dumbed down by the fact it applies only if you're going up against Orkz. Otherwise all he does is restrict your other unit choices.

That includes only Farsight can be taken as a commander, and you couldn't use your other commander at all.
As a Farsight player myself, I can say that some of this info is a little wrong. He gives preferred enemy against Orks, which is now re-rolls, no upped WS. He does give every unit a free bonding knife, which is quite useful. I'm not sure where you get the idea he can't have another commander with him from. 2 HQ slots available, and the bodyguard counting as part of the commanders slot seems fine. Since you are already paying for being allowed an increased bodyguard with Farsight though, I do usually drop a second commander and take at least three bodyguard for farsight.

Now, onto the actual list.
I've just basically said what I'd do with the HQ choice. I always go for one suit with plasma/fusion blaster, and two with missile pod, burst cannon to accompany farsight.

I also don't know where this missile pod comes from. Each member is allowed something from the support list, and the shasv're can have something from the wargear list. Nothing from the weapons list.
I don't actually use stealth teams anymore, they have never worked for me, so I just use two teams of at least 2 crisis suits instead. Kitted out differently depending on my mood, but burst cannons are usually included.

I like the FW set up. I myself always add drones for extra firepower, meaning I can't get in a devilfish, so it's usually a waste of points that sits there. Though having one with a squad able to fit in is good for objective grabbing.

I went off Piranhas pretty quickly, but thats mostly due to my obsession with having an almost all battlesuit army, I now have the new FW ones, and they act as my fast attack now, doing a lot more damage( albiet for twice the price per suit)

Never actually used gun drones as a unit much. They make nice stalling units but I don't like the idea of a unit that's expendable on purpose most of the time.

Definitely give the broadside shield drones. If you play a lot of armies with mech in, stick with broadsides, but if you face a lot of horde armies, the hammerheads submunition round will be much more useful. It's also quite a durable tank.

Now, as to using the army coherently, thats pretty straightforward. Using the 3 FW teams to give support/hold objectives at the back, the other one can take a route to other objectives, or assist the battlesuits. On the subject of the battlesuits, I would usually deepstrike them, as I've suffered far too much to krak missiles etc insta killing advancing battlesuits. Depending on which HS slot you choose, obviously keep it back softening up the enemy lines for a deepstrike attempt. For the Piranha, I'm going to assume you get rid of the 2 drone teams and get 2 Piranhas instead, which can very easily destroy tanks (with the FB option) or help soften the enemy lines.
Now I'm guessing that you have given the FW's photon grenades to prevent more attacks coming your way, but with effects like FC in a lot of armies now, if the enemy is going to be in charge range soon, my advice is to charge the turn before they can. You get more attacks and they lose out on extra benifets. It constantly surprises everyone I play when I charge with FW and actually win a combat.
Mousillon Brettonians - 5500 points

#4 Old 08-17-10, 11:28 AM 2000pts Farsight Army
Orochi

Farsight does give you access to the 'Farsight Bomb' though.

That's Farsight and 7 other battlesuits with Twinlinked Plasma Rifles.

Take That!

#5 Old 08-19-10, 01:21 PM 2000pts Farsight Army
DSheppard91

thanks guys that's all really helpfull info
dont worry about ripping it up thats why i put it up here
ok im thinking about dropping the stealth suits, they dont have a missile pod, that was a typo, sorry
so just to check i can take a 2nd commander because i really love the idea of a ld10 with a command and control node model for obvious reasons.
oh and i was going to be playing alot of orks with this list, hence the anti horde weaponary
i have heard good and bad things about the piranha, but its just such a lovely looking model.
it may seem abit stupid but i do like my lists to be governed somewhat by which models i would enjoy making and painting more then the most effective ones.
i think i will keep my 3 FW on foot for the time being because i was going for a more static army using alot of markerlights.
defently picking up the shield drones now
i have used drone teams before for great results thats why i have put them in
but thanks alot guys for your advice, i will defently start tweeking my army list, but then again, are they ever finished?

#6 Old 08-21-10, 03:52 PM 2000pts Farsight Army
DSheppard91

What would you guys think of replacing the 3rd FW team in the fish with a squad of pathfinders? oh and maybe including a skyray, how do they tend to fair on he field, i have never used them.

#7 Old 08-24-10, 10:52 AM 2000pts Farsight Army
Alex
Alex's Flag is: United Kingdom

Swapping the fish guys for pathfinders could be a good plan. Always helpful to boost your mens BS or remove cover saves etc.
On the Skyray, I've used them quite a lot and have decided having a hammerhead or 2 broadsides is a much better HS choice. It's seeker missiles are handy, but when they run out, it's just a vehicle pathfinder and usually doesn't help anymore. While the railgun toting HS choices spend the whole game making their points back.

#8 Old 08-24-10, 05:47 PM 2000pts Farsight Army
DSheppard91

i think i will defently field a unit of pathfinders with a unit of carbine armed FW who will jump in the fish when it drops of its unit for taking objectives etc.
defently going to drop stealth team.
im liking the crisis team set up, one as a ordance hunter and one as a horde killer via DS with Farsight
im playing about with points with the idea of a hammerhead and/or XV88
i do still want to field atleest one piranha

#9 Old 08-26-10, 01:54 PM 2000pts Farsight Army
DSheppard91

Ok this is the new army list, it holds a similar structure just took some of your advice onboard

Farsight

Commander, PR, MP, command & control, shield drone, irudium, multi traker, target lock
bodyguard, Airbusting etc, missile pod, TA, multi traker, target lock
bodyguard, ion blaster, missile pod, positional relay, multi traker, target lock

XV8 TL fusian blaster, TA, Tlock, 2x GD

XV8 Burst Cannon, Flamer, TA, Tlock, 2x GD

3X
FW, Rifles, Grenades, 2 GD, ui with Markerlight

FW, carbines, grenades

2x piranha, burst cannon, disruption pods, TA

Pathfinders, 7, grenades, 2x GD
Devilfish, TA, Disruption pod

XV88 X3 RG, Missiles, TA, Shield Drone

Any better?

thanks

#10 Old 08-26-10, 02:01 PM 2000pts Farsight Army
Stephen_Newman
Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

I thought that the command and control node was useless since Target priority was dropped. Perhaps it could be removed.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tau Army Lists