Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Windwalkers Vermilion

16K views 97 replies 28 participants last post by  Varakir 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Never done a project log before so feel free to tell me if I am on the road to ruin. Comments are welcome as well as questions.
First up ... what I have going on:

This is what is done:
1 Reg Predator
15 Termies: 1 w/Heavy Flamer 1 w/Cyclone 5 w/LC
18 Reg. Assault squad
1 RAS sarge w/PW 1 w/pf&MB
5 man Scout squad
14 Tactical marines
5 Tac. marine sarge with chainsword
2 Tac. flamers 1 plasma 1 meltagun
5 Sang. Priest all with PW and JP
1 Capt. with PW and Stormbolter
1 Kit bashed Shrike
Mephiston
5 Man Honour guard all with PW

What I am working on now:

I am nearly done with the Land Raider. I will finish the right sponson this week and cement it in.

My Sang. Priests ... I am very happy with them as they turned out about as well as I could hope. This one is my favorite.

I got the idea for the lava blade from The Wraithlord. I came across it via Varakir as he does amazing work on Sallies.
Glowing blades

And Mephiston:

I actually painted him in one 8 hour span ... I had him all put together and primed black but when I was working on him I was in such a groove that I did not want to stop. I think he turned out well.

See less See more
#15 ·
...Krylon Satin finish ... makes it look wet.
If you asre going for a bloody look (I assume that is why you like it wet), then it might benefit from matte areas to set it off.

Maybe leave the red satin and the bone matte?

I really like the shading the in folds of the banner.

I also have problems with freehand banners. I found painting the symbol two or three times on a piece of paper helped; if you paint the paper the base colour of the banner first you can even see how it looks. Once you have it painted to your satisfaction on paper you can gently bend the paper so you can see how the symbol moves across folds.

#4 ·
that's a lovely finish on the landraider - loving the colour scheme. looks like it could have used a bit more highlighting though...

all the same, an excellent looking force. good show :grin:

#5 ·
The lava blades look very cool, mephiston is lookin' pretty good to. As was already mentioned, your vehicles look a little bit flat, you could easily solve this by just blacklining a little bit (i.e. painting thin black, or other dark color, in the crevasses), its very simple and fairly fast. Also, a little highlighting on the basic marines would liven up the force a bit, just going over the higher areas with blood red again would work just fine. Overall, a solid lookin' army. Good work!

#8 · (Edited)
Well I got one of the Sargeants done ... here he is.

Renuo is naturally Latin, means to deny or reject.
My freehand artwork blows goats but I am getting better. Lettering is not much of a problem it is that fucking raven. I always joke about how my artistic skills are so bad that I would fuck up stick figures and that damn raven proves it.

#10 ·
In terms of personal preference, the varnish is too gloss for my tastes.

I understand what you said before; that it gives a highligh from the natural light through normal reflection from the mini but in terms of mini painting, you'll get better results from painted highlights and a more matte varnish.

I hear you on the time-sink front, maybe have a go on some character/special models and see what you can achieve, based on what you've done so far you definitely have the basics down :)

#11 ·
Well, I got another Sarge done and rather than try to fight with that damn raven I thought I would look elsewhere for inspiration. And I found it ...

Now some may know some may not, (quite possibly due to my atrocious painting skills), that would be a Harley Davidson Bar and Shield. The 105 in the B&S is for 105th anniversary, and FLHTCU is a nomenclature for HD. Here is an FLHTCU that is also a 105th anniversary edition Harley ... and is also mine:biggrin: ... I love this bike.

a close up of the B&S.

#17 · (Edited)
Well, real life has given me a small break for the time being so I got some more guys done. I must warn you that I have a fucked up sense of humor, or so the War Department (my wife's nickname) says. Without further ado:

Not real happy with the Power sword on him but ... oh well.

I did like the turnout on his sword though. Now this guy ... I could not help myself. I mean... it's little army men, with a smiley face ... shot ... bleeding. Well, I thought it was funny, and so did my buddies. The War Department thought it was stupid. Twat. I still love her though.

My brother asked me to make a marine in " His Image " and I swear I am not making this up, his name is Leroy, and I just could not help myself. I present to you ... Leroy the space marine drunkard ... should have been a space wolf.

:laugh:=me
:shok:=him

#19 ·
These guys look really good, but I just have to agree with previous posters that you need to do a matte varnish, then gloss only very specific areas. A fully glossy mini has never been attractive to me personally, and I think once you do it you'll see what we're talking about. The glossed areas will pop out very very well, and it'll bring much more depth to the mini.

Edit: Things like the rocks and the base rim especially... should not shine.

#20 ·
I like the poses; they look dynamic without going to extremes.

The painting is consistently crisp too.

The only slight niggle I saw was that the transition between bone and black on the shoulder-pad rims is wavery; however, having risked eye-strain on numerous occasions with a tiny brush failing to get the inner line of the rim perfect myself that is a very small issue.

#22 ·
Well, I have gotten some time after my wife and I had our anniversary and got a little bit more done. These first four are for my RAS that I always take and I put 2 melta guns in each so I needed 8 all together.

I am very happy with the way that they turned out and started working on some Sang. Guard. I forgot to take picture prior to base coating them and started working on the expansion joints that I paint black. I will try to remember to take pictures while they are still grey from now on.

I have base coated them with shining gold and am going to wash them with badab black then highlight with shining gold and burnished gold. I think they should turn out well. I have a plan for the wings and will paint them separately as they are to be attached last.

#23 ·
I... started working on some Sang. Guard....

I have base coated them with shining gold and am going to wash them with badab black then highlight with shining gold and burnished gold. I think they should turn out well. I have a plan for the wings and will paint them separately as they are to be attached last.
Very impressive gold.

Looking forward ot seeing the wings.

#24 · (Edited)
Well, I got a call today and I have to go back to work in the morning. Dirty bastards ... all I want is an honest weeks pay for an honest days work. After getting the call I shagged ass to get just one more guy done. I am happy with him, the wings are not exactly as I had planned but it is very close to what I envisioned. Lack of skill is the issue, can't complain though, very happy with him.

I primed the wings black and then dry brushed the feathers with shining gold. After that I dry brushed the top with ice blue, on the next set down I used shadow gray, and on the long ones I used chaos black. I wanted the gold to shine through and yet still show a darkening from blue to black. I like it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I used Gryphon sephia wash on the armor to give it an aged look. Very happy with that.

#28 ·
Whilst i'm still not a huge fan of the gloss overall, i have to say that the gold chaps are totally working it :biggrin:

That last chap you posted looks epic mate, my one comment would be that the lightning on the axe needs to come up a few shades brighter but that's about it :)

p.s i'll try and get your sig sorted tonight.

#32 ·
That is exactly what I am going for is the wet look. When I see the mini in my minds eye they are walking or landing in the middle of a heavy mist or very light rain. Thats just the way I like them and I really dig the fact that they will work in the rain ... because unlike them, I will not work in the rain ... ever. Perhaps it is because I do not have a jump pack to use when I am putting a couple of beams together 100' off the ground.:laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.