Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

dark angels seventh - a returning wargamer's plog

14K views 92 replies 34 participants last post by  Dave T Hobbit 
#1 ·
after a 10 year absence from the hobby, i found myself with some disposable income and, riding a wave of nostalgia that has seen me returning to a lot of things i enjoyed when i was younger, i dove headfirst back into the hobby by deciding to paint [and eventually game with!] the dark angels army i always planned, but never managed to start.

well, i've started now [better late than never], and i'd like to share the results with community. i would really appreciate feedback and [constructive] criticism...to let me know where i'm going wrong. hope you enjoy reading / looking as much i've enjoyed painting!

#3 ·
i dont see anything............

#4 ·
still trying to figure out uploading, i apologise for being an idiot...

#6 · (Edited)
a rocky start...

a few more images of the stuff i've finished so far. my girlfriend has a phenomenal camera, but i am not a phenomenal photographer...hopefully you can see most of what's going on. i will do my best to improve!

#8 ·
wip - up next...

the last of the terminator squad, and a mock up of a sergeant for a devastator squad [just a bit of kit-bashing, but any thoughts on the pose are most welcome]...

#33 ·
...a mock up of a sergeant for a devastator squad [just a bit of kit-bashing, but any thoughts on the pose are most welcome]...

As a display model it is very characterful; if you wish to game with it the sword looks like it would get in the way, and might make it a blight to transport.

Overall the army looks superb; as I am not overly fond of the Dark Angel model range that is particularly impressive.

#10 ·
excellent painting, i am loving your photos, crystal clear. the terminators are fantastic. here's a little present.

#13 ·
terminator colour scheme

@ orochi - the terminators were painted thusly...

white undercoat
bleached bone basecoat
gryphonne sepia wash
devlan mud wash into the deeper recesses
x2 coats thin bleached bone, leaving the recesses
50/50 highlight of bleached bone and skull white
fine skull white highlight on the upper edges of the model

simples! :victory:

#51 ·
@ squeek - thank you kindly, sir! and in response to your question...

white undercoat
bleached bone basecoat
gryphonne sepia wash
devlan mud wash into the deeper recesses
x2 coats thin bleached bone, leaving the recesses
50/50 highlight of bleached bone and skull white
fine skull white highlight on the upper edges of the model

#14 ·
a digital slr is an unforgiving mistress

@ marneus calgar - damn the camera, they should look more orange. and i absolutely agree, the paint is too thick...possibly through lack of patience. practice will make perfect [hopefully!] :victory:

#15 ·
@ marneus calgar - damn the camera, they should look more orange. and i absolutely agree, the paint is too thick...possibly through lack of patience. practice will make perfect [hopefully!] :victory:
They do look pretty orange, but most people paint them red and they appear orangy. I think that you will probably get the orange looking awesome in no time.

#17 ·
wow ace painting hear mate, Terminators +rep

On the beak helm did you paint the wings on? if so how do you go about it?

#19 ·
Good work, nice and clean, simple and effective, what's not to like? I dig the terms in particular as they are really well done. One suggestion I do have however is regarding the cloaks the regular marines are wearing and that is to tone down the highlights just a bit. To me they seem to go a bit too far to white, just a tad.

#20 ·
Whoa, they are awesome! Some of the best Dark Angels I have seen, bar me of course:laugh: the Marine with the wings on his helm looks badass! Keep up the good work mate, I look forwards to seeing more of these!

#21 ·
progress

was having a little smoke last night, and i managed to finish another tactical marine. lesson of the day - paint faster, better, longer!

#22 ·
also, i'd like to say thanks for all the comments so far, your thoughts are much appreciated!

@the wraithlord - yeah, i screwed up the robes a bit - those models were done with a basic paint set and nothing more, so are a bit "squiffy" in places, in terms of colour and tone. i fully intend on nailing the next batch. :victory:

@vulcan539 - the beaked helm with wings is just one of the bits on the DA veterans sprue...all i did was stay between the lines!

#24 · (Edited)
army list [so far]

@ marneus - cheers, brother! as for the army make up, i currently have enough bits and pieces for 1250/1500pts, and am hoping to finish after 5000pts, including 1500pts of deathwing and 1500pts of ravenwing [but i'm trying not to buy anything else until i've finished what i've got!]. here's a list of what i've got at the moment

x2 10 man tactical squads
x1 5 man veteran [close combat] squad + razorback
x1 10 man devastator squad
x1 veteran dreadnought + drop-pod
x1 5 man terminator squad
x1 company master

and a partridge in a pear tree [actually a terminator captain for a belial conversion]

next on the painting station will be the last of the terminators, and some more robed tactical marines...so stay tuned!

#25 ·
Looks like a nice list, my friend plays DA (Master Belial on heresy), and he can pass me my arse to be on a plate! They are such a nice army to play. I know its not an army list thread, but are you considering some Ravenwing? The models are great, and they can be put to good use during a game. Belial is also a beast!

I shall be watching this thread!

#26 ·
distractions...

just a quick update - instead of using my day off to paint the last two terminators, i went into my local GW [ostensibly to look at the new wfb rulebook], and walked out with an assault squad and a rhino...le sigh...

so i've been prepping those models for painting. so far, i've been painting my angels in ones or twos - but with the assault squad, i'm going to have a stab at batch painting the whole squad. should be fun!

heading back to the paint desk [after this evenings world cup action, of course] to finish the terminators - will hopefully post photos later tonight, or early tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.