Tau 1500 'all comers' list - fun and competitive.

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tau Army Lists

Tau 1500 'all comers' list - fun and competitive.

Tau Army Lists

#1 Old 06-16-09, 12:33 PM Tau 1500 'all comers' list - fun and competitive.
general
general's Flag is: United Kingdom
Default Tau 1500 'all comers' list - fun and competitive.

I've been fiddling with a tau list recently. I intend to start a Tale of Four Gamers style thread within the next few months. However, I want to get a solid list to work from (otherwise I'll get distracted by shiney things and start painting stuff I won't use).

This list is designed for friendly and competitive play. Meant to be fun to use.

HQ

Shas'o - plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker
87 points

Elites

Crisis team - 1 x shas'ui - plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker
62 points

Crisis team - 1 x shas'ui - plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker
62 points

Crisis team - 1 x shas'ui - TL fusion blaster, blacksun filter
56 points

Troops

Fire warrior team 1
10 fire warriors
100 points

Fire warrior team 2
10 fire warriors
100 points

Fire warrior team 3
10 fire warriors, devilfish with disruption pod and multitracker
195 points

Fire warrior team 4
10 fire warriors, devilfish with disruption pod and multitracker
195 points

Fast Attack

6 pathfinders, de3vilfish with dispruption pod and multitracker
167 points

Heavy support

Hammerhead - railgun, burst cannons, multitracker, disrption pods
165 points

Hammerhead - railgun, burst cannons, multitracker, disruption pods
165 points

Skyray - bursty cannons, multitracker, disruption pod, targetting array
150 points

Total = 1499

The commander and two plasma/missile pod are troop killers. They will move to support fire warrior squads where necessary, either individually or as a group. I prefer monat, as it means there is no need for target lock, and they are separate units, so the enemy can only shoot at one at a time.

The twin fusion blaster suit is a budget suit, the blacksun filter was used becuase I don't have the points for anything better. Probrably won't achieve a lot. However could be a nasty surprise to enemy tanks hiding behind hills.

One of the unmounted fire warrior squads will use the pathfinder devilfish. These 3 ounted squads will be used tocapture objectives. The disruption pods keep them alive, whilst the multitracker allows the devilfish to support the disembarked fire warriors.

The unmounted squad will look after the home objective, and form a firebase with the pathfinders. The pathfinders will light up dangerous targets, but can be used to light up any flanking units, so the fire warrior squad can take them out.

The hammerheads will work against horde and heavy armor. Disrution pods help them survive, and multitrackers make them more manouverable, and so more difficult to avoid.

The skyray is in the list for a number of reasons. However it may be dropped for a third hammerhead. Firstly, it can move and fire its markerlights. This means I will be able to get markerlight shots in turn one in dawn of war (I know only 1/3 of games). Secondly, its seekers can be called in by pathfinders, especially if flanked. It is a more survivable markerlight carrier than the pathfinders.

My main worry is the skyray. Would I be better off with, say, two broadsides, or another hammerhead? Is it effective?

Any comments welcome.

Descent into madness - generals 40K Chaos log - my chaos space marine project log : http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=63641

A gamers tale - my tau project log : http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=43171

An ostermark empire army log - my empire project log - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=64918
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 06-17-09, 11:33 AM Tau 1500 'all comers' list - fun and competitive.
Gatling Man

If I were you I would take out the skyray and replace it with 2 broadsides, this will mean that the hammerheads will be able to fire their submission shots without worrying about the tanks. Remember also that the missile pods are useful in destroying small tanks as they are S7, and S6 with the plasma rifles isn't bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tau Army Lists