Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Chaos Terminator Lightning Claws

31K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  Regnear67 
#1 ·
Sick of buying Terminator Lord boxes just for the lightning claws because they're always out of stock on bitz sites? Doktor von Svartmetall has the cure!

For this, you will need 3 Spawn spiny bits, and any power fist of your choice. The pint of Carlsberg is optional :D

First, trim the fingers off the power fist so you have a smooth surface where they once were:

Next, trim the bases of the spines:

And - in an unexpected plot twist - glue the spines to the fist:

I've put the spines in an even, level position for the purposes of this tutorial, but obviously you could have them in all sorts of angles depending on how you trimmed the base of the spines. Also, I'd recommend using a tiny bit of green stuff to smooth the joins between the spines and the body of the power fist.

Voila! A perfectly decent lightning claw for your Chaos Terminators; here it is in situ on my testbed Plague Terminator:

Hope this helps :)

See less See more
#7 ·
drank the carlsburg and smashed the dvd over your head? woke up in a daze and it was already done... i know the drill :p

#13 ·
However how would you do a pair?
Like this (hurriedly blu-tacked onto one of my 'test bed' Terminator torsos for photographic purposes):

:)

Basically, take the original power fist and very carefully cut off the bits that you'd need to reverse to make a right-handed claw...then glue them back on in the appropriate places. I've not yet green-stuffed these bits in so they blend in smoothly with the rest of the fist (too many other modelling priorities at the moment) but hopefully these shots should give you the general idea.

#18 ·
And if you haven't got any spawn bits laying around, you could probably use some nid talons too, depending on the size

#22 ·
How would you make the old commisioner yarrick claw?
Ooo, that is quite the claw, isn't it? Haven't seen that before that I can remember...off the top of my head (I've just got back from work and am about to hit the exercise bike & shower) I'd cut the two claw segments from whatever thickness of plasticard best matches the original, use pinning wire to attach them to the arm and get them into the right position, then build everything else up from GS.

I might possibly make the two mechanical bits that join the claw halves to the body of the hand from plasticard too, but I couldn't say for sure without having one in my hand as I'd want to check out the X-axis stuff as well to see what was flat and what wasn't.

#24 · (Edited)
It's pretty surprising but I think these actually look better than the normal Lightning Claws, and the fleshy bits at the start of the claw just make it look even more Chaos-like.

Excellent tutorial, with a great final look. I like it alot, good job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.