Best Army Builder Software

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

Best Army Builder Software

General 40k

#1 Old 12-30-08, 03:22 AM Best Army Builder Software
fuzzawakka
fuzzawakka's Flag is: USA
Default Best Army Builder Software

Was just wondering what everyones favorite army builder software is and if it has the new codex updated for space marines. I just want to download it.
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 12-30-08, 03:24 AM Best Army Builder Software
Vaz
Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Paper, Pen, and Codex in front of you.

Never fails, and there are no bugs.

#3 Old 12-30-08, 03:29 AM Best Army Builder Software
fuzzawakka
fuzzawakka's Flag is: USA

haha true thanks vaz :D so does that mean you have tried them and do not like them?

#4 Old 12-30-08, 03:52 AM Best Army Builder Software
Underground Heretic
Underground Heretic's Flag is: USA

I have army builder and it can have faults. But it is usually lacking definitions for items and special rules, saying see C:X p.Y. You get a lot more out of a codex than you do out of Army Builder.

Rites of Battle Your source for 40k opinions, news, and hobby updates.

#5 Old 12-30-08, 03:52 AM Best Army Builder Software
officer kerky
officer kerky's Flag is: Australia

well there is an army builder BUt i hate it. i'm with vaz on this one. pen, and good old paper along with codex and some brains can go a long way instead of the computer and AI (artificial intelligence)

#6 Old 12-30-08, 07:58 AM Best Army Builder Software
Degzi
Degzi's Flag is: United Kingdom

there are some around there generally not hard to find plus there is usually updates for codex but actually sitting down and making your own army list can't be beaten plus you will understand your army better that way especially when it comes to special rules etc

Tyranids W0 - D0 - L0
Chaos W0 - D0 - L0

WHFB

Bretonnians W0 - D0 - L1

Check out the progress of my Bretonnian army here: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=24124

#7 Old 12-30-08, 08:53 AM Best Army Builder Software
keytag33
keytag33's Flag is: Canada

I've had good luck with spreadsheet programs like excel. You can then make your own army calculater and just tweek it with each new release.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair. - Douglas Adams

It's a knife for gods sake, what you been useing to keep your fork company all these years, sharp side, blunt side, what you want a lesson? - Bullet Tooth Tony

#8 Old 12-30-08, 09:08 AM Best Army Builder Software
chromedog
chromedog's Flag is: Australia

Much as Pen, paper and codex is my preferred method, and served me well for many years, it just can't be trusted around many of the younger players in my area. I still use it, but when I want it to be read by everyone, I'll plug the numbers and options into AB for printing.

Literacy, numeracy and handwriting skills are just not what they used to be, I'm afraid. Most schoolkids these days use a computer word pro to submit work to teachers, and run it through a spellchecker first, too. They don't need to learn this stuff, the computer does it for them.

At my club's tourneys, we insist on either an Army Builder roster file (.rst) or a word or excel file for submitted lists (as they need to be read by all of your opponents, as well as the orgs).

The older players use the excel or word files (.doc/.rtf or even .txt are acceptable) as they are ALL more legible than most of their handwriting, even if they have perfectly legible handwriting.

I use AB because I bought a copy when I was validating lists for the tourney, and most players had it. It's handy, but I also had a copy of all of the codices with me as well.
Before that, I used Excel, which with its autosum function, helps to keep track of points as well.

#9 Old 12-30-08, 09:11 AM Best Army Builder Software
officer kerky
officer kerky's Flag is: Australia

just gotta love exel i use it all the time when priting out armyy lists. use it for prinint the units stats and upgrades they have. keeps the game flowing nice and fast instaed of getting a codex out and finding the stats or rules

#10 Old 12-30-08, 09:26 AM Best Army Builder Software
Degzi
Degzi's Flag is: United Kingdom

i might try using a s/s see how it works for me i've used AB and the armies and enemies of the imperium sets there good but they dont get updated anywhere nearly as often as they need

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k