Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Chaos Ascendant - The Corruption of The Wraithlord

104K views 304 replies 76 participants last post by  Deathwingjunkie 
#1 ·
Ok guys, for the time being, my Tomb Kings have been put on hold. The main reasons for this are 1) the new chaos models are just too freakin cool to pass up on and 2) getting tired of playing a 3rd tier army (yeah I said it). So I have now started in on a Fantasy Chaos army that will be comprised of mostly Warriors and models with Chaos Armour. And this time I won't be concerned with wysiwyg or power level and such. I am going to build this army using the models I want to paint and that look the coolest. As of tonight I now have 5 Chaos Knights assembled so I will post pics of them sometime tomorrow if possible.

#5 ·
got any ideas for what god and colour scheme?
Not yet actually. Something grim and forbidding however and you can be sure my trademark flame and lighting effects will be in there. The biggest question right now is if I want to go with a mixed army or with a single god. I have to read the book far more before I know that. I will try and post pics of the assembled Knights later today if I can (might not, celebrating my 14th anniversary today too). One thing that will be different about this army is that I WILL NOT buy any further models for it until the current set has been painted.

How many points you doing?
2000pts for sure, more if I fell like painting up more models than I need :)

#6 ·
Wraith.... Thats really ironic that you are building a fantasy army based on Cool-ness, or Wow-Factor. Thats exactly what I did and ironicly enough i went from Chaos T-Sons to Fantasy Chaos and went full Warriors and Knights rofl..... Only difference between you and I at this point is....well you can customize and paint....and well....me...heh... not so much. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Chaosftw

#7 · (Edited)
I am not sure just yet how much converting I will do on this army as the models really stand out on their own. I mostly figure that I will invest some serious time into the paint for the majority of it and convert special characters and such as the fancy takes me. In any case, here are the pics of the first 5 assembled Knights.

Knight 1

Knight 2

Knight 3

Standard Bearer

Champion

Ranked Unit

Not sure exactly how I will paint these models up but I am fairly certain that any hair showing on the horses (fetlocks, mane, tail) will be done in a fire scheme to make them look extremely otherworldly. For the models themselves, I am thinking of getting away from the usual blue tones that I have focused on for my Tsons but I don't wish to go with a basic colour either. I am thinking of doing them in a metallic look but with either runes or eldritch energies painted on top of it and glowing green is the way I am leaning right now. I also think I might try showing these guys as lit up from WITHIN the armour so it will only highlight the fact that these guys are no longer merely human but something far greater and far less at the same time. I will have to play with the paints to finally see where I go with this army as I never really know before I start what I am going to finally end up doing. Should be an adventure the whole way through.

One more thing, I just read in this codex that Lords can ride Chaos Dragons so expect to see a converted High Elf dragon being used as a mount for a Lord regardless of whether I use it in game or not. Probably be the next project after these guys :)

#8 ·
Very nice wraith, those models are beautiful to begin with and imo you pulled them off perfectly ^^

#9 ·
Nice models.

Out of interest, do you plan on doing any conversions? Your painting is always very impressive but you tend to put stuff together pretty much as standard.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but with all the hours you spend painting your figures it seems like conversions could be worth it.

#10 ·
I will be doing some yes just not sure on what or how many. As I said, I really think these models stand out on their own and on some of them adding gs to convert them may just make them look too busy.

#12 ·
I was dubious when I first saw the Knights - from too far away, they had too much going on, but now Isee it was GW's fault for putting too much emphasis on everything.

I assume you're doing Black steed's, from your description.

To counter that have you thought of flipreversing the colours - on my Khorne Warriors, I have bone Armour, with Red Trim, and Brass Weapons. Still used the colours, but it was just something different than the red armour and Black. Still, Khorne are poster boys, so expect a lot of them.

#13 ·
The new Chaos Knights are incredible I agree and as you say they are pretty busy already. But either way, nice clean job of building them and with your painting, I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product as I know it'll look great! (nothing like a bit of pressure :wink: )

#14 ·
like the miniatures and look forward to see them painted by your exceptional skills.

however, the thing that struck me most when i read your post was that you're only 14 years old :shok: i sort of imagined you as a veteran who painted for so many years it was sorta natural that you had reached a high state of painting. my respect for your work has just grown tenfold.

(despite the fact that it's just a little demoralising to realise i've been painting miniatures longer than you exist and mine are nowhere near your level. god i feel old)

#15 ·
Wow those knight are fantastic models when you see them unpainted (Only seen the ones in WD myself); your colour scheme sounds really nice so far and I can't wait to see how the glowing rune effect comes out and unearthly black horse with flaming hair.. always a classic look.

Hope to see some soon. :grin:

#16 ·
however, the thing that struck me most when i read your post was that you're only 14 years old
AHAHAHAHAHA! Not sure where you got this idea from but I am 35 with a 13 year old son :)

#20 ·
Nahhh, I assume he means Anniversary as the Anniversary of Marriage.
Yeah I did. To be honest, I have never heard of a Birthday being called and anniversary. It has always been Birthday to everyone I know. Cultural differences I suspect :)

Thanks for the comments guys, I hope I will do the models justice for you. I have decided that I am not going to go with a single Chaos God for the army so as not to limit my painting to one single theme as I want to be able to do whatever I wish with the models as the urge takes me.

#22 ·
Yeah I did. To be honest, I have never heard of a Birthday being called and anniversary. It has always been Birthday to everyone I know. Cultural differences I suspect :)
I would imagine it is because the meaning of 'anniversary' can be translated from English in to Dutch with more than one meaning, assuming my meagre grasp of the Dutch language isn't failing me. So I would assume that they read it as Birthday (anniversary of your birth) rather than anniversary as used more commonly in English as anniversary of your wedding. :p My apologies for rabbiting about semantics :)

Looks like a fantastic project anyway Wraith, can't wait to see what you do with the paint schemes!

#23 ·
Ya, Wrath Those models look soo sharp I think doing and custom work would actually take away from them unless it was your fantastic base work. I like how you are not limiting yourself to one god though i think that will make them look better. I personally always want to creat some sort of paint scheme that incorperated all four of the major gods as one. But their colors i find are so vivd and just dont seem like they can work off one another. Waiting patiently to see what you come up with!

Chaosftw

#24 ·
You know the sad thing? My Tsons army is -this- close to being finished and I want to paint these knights so badly that I can't even look at them right now lol. I will probably do a couple of washes on my vehicles and some details, finish them up basically, before I start these guys however. Maybe.. :)

#26 ·
Here is a pic of the champ with the first bit of paint on him. Not entirely sure if I will keep him this way or not, possibly add a few more black washes to him to really darken it down. Anyway, here is a quick update.

#28 ·
They are a lot better than they look in the pics in WD seeing them up close, its odd how GW seems to do that. I was convinced the hounds looked awful in the mag, but when I saw them unpainted at GD I noticed there where pretty good.

Nice painting so far though Wraithlord, really nice, I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Dang, must stay focused on Dark Elves. Even though everytime I look in the current White Dwarf I see that map of the Northern Realms and find myself looking at the two tribes named after Wei. I can't help but think how cool would it be to have chaos heroes of Zhang Liao and Xiahou Dun.

Your tempting me with this thread man.. arghhh! :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.