Is the Emperor good or Evil? - Page 3

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

Is the Emperor good or Evil?

40k Fluff

#21 Old 10-29-08, 12:16 AM Is the Emperor good or Evil?
Steel Rain
Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderAnthor View Post
Apologies if this is offensive to anyone nothing offensive is intended but imagine we are germany and the other races are Jewish,

Lot's see the emperor as hitler and the other races being killed off are jews.

People can say why compare him to hitler? Because the emperor isn't a good guy either.

I beleive thats the best explenation possible.
Godwin's Law
Edit: Sorry someone called it already.

Let's change the debate a little. Screw good or evil. There is no good or evil in 40k. Here's a better question: Did the Emperor do what is necessary for the safety of the Imperium? Or did he doom it completely?
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me

Last edited by Steel Rain; 10-29-08 at 12:21 AM.
Sponsored Links

#22 Old 10-29-08, 06:14 AM Is the Emperor good or Evil?
surreal-mind
surreal-mind's Flag is: Australia

he set them in for a rough time, when he made certain primarchs....

#23 Old 10-29-08, 08:32 AM Is the Emperor good or Evil?
Abbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Rain View Post
Godwin's Law
Edit: Sorry someone called it already.

Let's change the debate a little. Screw good or evil. There is no good or evil in 40k. Here's a better question: Did the Emperor do what is necessary for the safety of the Imperium? Or did he doom it completely?
I see him as a good guy,he may have hated mutants, aliens and untrained psykers. (But some really odd decisions considering primarchs)
But overal for some good reasons(except IMO for Eldar and some non chaos muties)
I don't think mankind would have survived long without having been united in the IOM through the great crusade.
Being as it is the IOM is the only order power that can potentially stand up vs some galactic threads (United Orks, Necros or Nids) Especially if the cogs would drop the cult of Omnisiah and start doing real science again.

I think the Imperium is in big enough trouble now for him to reincarnate or wake up.

#24 Old 10-29-08, 10:29 PM Is the Emperor good or Evil?
Brother Enok
Brother Enok's Flag is: United Kingdom

I wouldn't say the Big E hated, im sure it wasn't war on a personal level, but as the man he was; the one chosen by the shamen of old Terra to unite and lead humanity against the evils of an uncaring unvierse he was bound to encounter some pit traps along the way. I always got the impression that the Emporer got on well with Eldrad on a personal level, alas thier differing view points put them at odds often. Nither come off as bloodthirsy, crude or prone to cruelty for crueltys sake.
Psykers are an odd one, but the judgements at the council of Nikea could well have been a safe gaurd against the machinations of the warp. Unchecked psykers make perfect pawns for the deamons of the immaterium, a risk not worth taking even with the ever growing philosiphy of the Imperial Truth so prevailent at the time.

We as people of the 21st Centurys are educated and conditioned, for the most, to be compasionate and caring for our fellow man, and accepting of other cultures. Unfortunatly the Galaxy of the 41st Millenium cannot be shared, and greed leads to war, even if its a war of our imaginations. As a human, and the Master of Mankind, the Emporer did what he had to do to bring humanitys destiny to fruition. His major floor was what made him so loved by his people; His humainty. He was a perfect example of this, warts and all, as the saying goes.

#25 Old 10-29-08, 11:50 PM Is the Emperor good or Evil?
titan slayer
titan slayer's Flag is: England

emporer is very evil basicly his big idea join me or die
1st guy says 'no' (emporer shoots him)
2nd guy 'only on one condition'(emporer shoots him)
3rd guy tries to run shot before he gets out the room

but despite that hes good as everything he dose the good of humanity he killed around 90% of the population of terra in the unification wars but that was so he had a platform from which to launch the great crusade.

also i'm not sure every alien encountered were killed out of spite i'm sure i read somwhere the inquisitions digital weapons are made by some alien race just as long as they could be usefull slaves for the emporer and mankind

also he did not want to be thought of as a god he actually punished the primach logar for saying the emporer is a god and i'm sure everyone knows were that led he was also against the cult that hailed him as a god

#26 Old 10-30-08, 01:18 AM Is the Emperor good or Evil?
Kendares
Kendares's Flag is: USA

he didnt give any other race a chance to live. only humans could live in his "perfect" galaxcy. and there is no right or wrong there is no good or bad, there is only different sides and different point of views.

what is the opposite of Progress?
...Congress

http://www.heresy-online.net/daemons...4260-14260.htm

#27 Old 10-30-08, 08:07 AM Is the Emperor good or Evil?
Madeem

I'm not sure if you can say good or evil, because he's not really ruling now is he.

He started out all nice with his agressive recruitment of the old tribesmen, which may seem crude, but then again if we want to unit humans now this would be the only way too!

And then, when he was just getting started horus came to beat him up and he was put into the yellow coffin to guild the emperium through the stars.

The High lord rule now, not the emperor. Most of them will be powerhungry phycomaniacs who of course want more power.
The emperors worship wasn't installed untill after his death, so you can't confict him for this. During the crusade any religion was outlawed by the emperor anyway.

I don't think the emperium is evil, it's afraid, and scared people do scared things to survive.

#28 Old 10-30-08, 03:25 PM Is the Emperor good or Evil?
Unknown Primarch
Unknown Primarch's Flag is: United Kingdom

i think the thing that people get twisted is that they think of the emperor as being the same as jesus. that being all good and compassionate and never doing the slightest thing wrong. like someone else said he has the same humanity as everyone else and we know that humans have the capacity for good and have a evil side at the same time.
i think with the creation of another chaos god, the xenos being a very real threat to the existence of mankind and seeing a very big possiblity that humans would just become a widespread slave race the emperor had to take drastic measures to ensure not only the the prosperity of mankind but the survival and with so many variables the big plan was bound to slip up somewhere along the lines.

unless what has transpired was the emperors plan all along.......

#29 Old 10-30-08, 07:26 PM Is the Emperor good or Evil?
Brother Enok
Brother Enok's Flag is: United Kingdom

And even Jesus once said "I come not with peace, but with a sword".
He did what was needed for the continuation of the human race. As I human, ive got him down as "good". or a paler shade of grey at least ;)

#30 Old 10-31-08, 01:17 AM Is the Emperor good or Evil?
Steel Rain
Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

I love how the chaos players say he's evil because he shoots people for not joining him. The xenos players say he's evil because he doesn't let other races live. The imperial players say he was good because he allowed humanity to flourish. Funny. That's some interesting (but expected) viewpoints. I don't see him as good or evil. I think he was humanity's champion. That's all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff