Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Cadian Formations in Mont'ka and Comissars/Priests

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mahavira 
#1 ·
So, Mont'ka provided Astra Militarum (Cadians, anyway) with the kinds of formations/detachments other new codices have. So far so good. Question though - are you allowed to take the various regimental advisors (commissars, priests, primaris psykers and enginseers) in formations which don't specify them (the psykana division for example has commissars and a primaris psyker) or would that result in your being no longer battleforged?

The AM codex says (just as an example for commissars) you are allowed one per command squad in your army, they don't take up HQ slots and they don't count as HQ for the purpose of mandatory selections. Does that mean that an "emperor's shield" company, which has a company command and 3 platoons is allowed to take 4 commissars and still qualify as battleforged? The other regimental advisors all say something like "an AM detachment is allowed 0-3 [priests/psykers/tech priests], and a formation is a kind of detachment, but a formation is generally more specific than that.

#2 ·
for as far as I am aware. the regimental advisors. "officer of the fleet, officer of ordnance and the astropath) are upgrades for the HQ command squad. just like the bodyguards they are extra models that comprise the Regimental command when taken. so if you have an HQ command squad as part of your army is still battleforged when you take any of them.

otherwise. considering that Priests, techpriests, etc. do not take up slots. I do not see how they would affect if your army is battleforged.

#5 ·
I personally do not see anything wrong with using commissars and priests (and the like).

Unless something explicitly states that they cannot be used I would assume that they are good to go - especially since they do not take up a Force org slot.

#6 ·
Just done a bit of reading.

The section detailing None-force org slot units is just after the Dedicated transports entry in the BRB. The phrase "These units can be included in any detachment" pops up.

That did get me wondering on the distinction between Detachments and Formations, i.e. would the NFoS unit still be part of a formation within a detachment, or just part of the detachment and not the formation.

After a brief re-read of formations: "Formations are a special type of detachment".

I've had a look over the rest and haven't found anything to the contrary, so based on the above two lines I've just quoted, I'd say you're good to throw these guys in pretty much anywhere the codex allows. Got me pondering me Tyrant Guard now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.