Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

NTaW's Armies of the Imperium (with a side of Necrons)

22K views 104 replies 17 participants last post by  ntaw 
#1 · (Edited)
From out of the ashes of my previous plogs, whose pictures are now defunct, comes this: one centralized place where I can post up all of my various hobby-related projects. I am currently playing and collecting models from these factions: Blood Angels, Imperial Fists, Deathwing, Assassins, Inquisition, White Scars, Grey Knights, Astra Militarum, and last but not least Necrons. My life is a bit sporadic in how much time I decide to throw at modelling and painting, but when I get into a project I'm usually pretty good through to the end. Either way, if I can keep this thing updated once a month I'll be quite pleased with myself. Special thanks goes out to @Kreuger, who helped me figure out hosting pictures online and posting them correctly into this forum. You'd think after my years and number of posts I'd have figured it out! Were it not for him this wouldn't be going down, and were it not for all the Heretics who commented with their criticisms, praises, and general Q&A over the last few years of my other plogs I wouldn't be nearly the hobbyist I am today. Cheers to Heresy for being awesome! :drinks:

Without further ado, here are my most recent efforts from each faction:

Blood Angels, Sanguinary Priest made from the old metal model. Lightning Claw was cut at the shoulder to swing out and the armpit was puttied to prop it out for the swing. Chalice was made entirely out of Kneadatite. Jump Pack is, of course, magnetized...though the metal one is nowhere near as nicely affixed when in place.

Imperial Fists, Terminator Sergeant. Hammer arm was repositioned up long before I started pinning my pieces before puttying them, that arm was a real bitch to get where it is. He's an old model, and I have been working on my Tactical squads but they're nowhere near picture worthy. This model, now that I'm looking at a fresh picture, needs a lot of work still...it was also my first attempt at yellow.

Deathwing, Mortis Dreadnought. I -still- haven't finished painting Belial, so this remains the only member of this army painted. I do own 4/5 Terminator squads for them though....it's just a matter of time. First attempt at doing green on this scale, or highlighting a vehicle in pretty much any way.

Callidus Assassin, soon to be joined by a Vindicare as well. Old metal model that I stripped from how I painted it as a 10/12 year old (I'm 28 now, and took a 10 year break from the hobby). As a bonus, here's what she looked like before too.

The Inquisition is something I haven't painted much from, one of my Inquisitors was purchased painted and I haven't seen fit to strip him and redo...but oh, it's gunna happen. Here are the Servo Skulls I made up in the interim.

White Scars, Captain on Bike. I'm pretty stoked on this model, he was quite the conversion from the Dark Vengeance bike sergeant. The Hammer was made from a GK Warding Stave and a Death Company hammer head, and the clamps for the Shield were taken from the Rhino accessories. I used liquid green stuff, a toothpick, and ultimate amounts of patience making (or trying to make, anyway) his cloak look like it was made of fur. All other instances of green is just plain old Kneadatite, though the hair was tricky. I still feel like the ammo crate on the back is a stop-gap until I can figure out how to make a sweet banner pole or something more captain-like, but it'll do for now.

Grey Knights at the moment are strictly an allied thing (much like the White Scars), and consist of a 5 man Terminator squad, a Librarian, and a Land Raider. I got the squad assembled and had to hack and slash my way through equipping them the way I wanted. This guy ended up being my Librarian, with repositioned Hammer arm and 'fixed' left hand.

Astra Militarum, Platoon Sergeant with Kromlech Power Axe. I was initially very disappointed with the scale of these axes. Turns out I still am, though that's my only gripe. There's a little thing here and there miscast, but this was the smallest axe in the group that was 'made to work with standard guardsmen'. I did my best with this guy, using butchered arms from a heavy weapons team to get the elbow positioning and the hands...well, it's a big awkward axe. Two more of these guys to make up for my 30 man blob that kicks it with and Inquisitor (or Azrael).

Necron Warriors. Nothing special here, but this is the colour scheme of my Necrons. Going for the Thokt Dynasty, I'm really curious as to how my Night Scythe and Immortals will turn out....kinda making it up as I go for them.

Well, that's it for my initial post. Back in it!

See less See more
#2 ·
Right on man!
And you're very welcome. I was glad to be able to help. I hope Flickr lives up to my praise!

Keep up the good work. =)

#6 ·
Keep up the good work. =)
Thanks brother! I will do my best.

Nicely done
Thanks Tawa, I think I'm at the point where putting together models without using my knife, multiple kit parts, and GS is boring. Time to step up the game.

Although, as Gandalf said, a wizard is never late...
Ha! ...and as I have said....NEVER TRUST A WIZARD!!! :crazy:

I have to say that big over-sized axe in the hands of a Catachan looks pretty good.
Thanks man, though to be sure I wasn't initially going for a Catachan army...it just kind of became that way because I prefer plastic to metal and most of the Guard I got in the army deal played to that taste. Had I got more Cadian than Catachan this would have been much more pointless. As a bonus because you like the axes, here's what I did with the biggest ones (really only suitable as two handed SM weapons at best, unless you're hard into anime):

#3 ·
Nicely done :)

Keep it coming! :good:

#4 ·
Alright Ntaw, better late than never! Although, as Gandalf said, a wizard is never late...

#5 ·
@ntaw, I have to say that big over-sized axe in the hands of a Catachan looks pretty good. Yeah, it's stupid big in comparison to the body, but these are Catachan so it kind of works. If it was held by a Cadian, Mordian, or even Vallhalan it wouldn't work.
I think it'll come together once you get it painted.

#7 ·
Sanguinary Guard reporting in! These guys took some serious putting together for a 5 man squad. A lot of the wings needed to be pinned for best support and several armpits were GS'd to hold weapons at more physically appropriate angles. Gotta say though, these guys look tough as nails. The bigger size (32mm...?) bases really suit these guys with their wings and large swords, I almost feel like the Priest who will lead them (see OP) will look tiny without wings or a large base. Might actually look into getting some rings to up the base sizes of my existing forces!

Not really sure how I feel about painting gold armour, but we'll see how it goes! It'll be good practice for when I invariably involve Dante in my lists.

#8 · (Edited)
**wipes away some cobwebs

I decided I needed heavy flamers in my army more than I needed resale value on units I got for free and have no intention to use. Enter, the psycannon and incinerator:

This is still a WIP, I am going to size up the handle mount (to what they should have been made to in the first place) with some GS and fill in what few gaps I have created. I will be using extra melta bomb bits cut up on the marine's backpack to represent spare fuel. Burn it all!

EDIT: and the finished product including the bits used underneath.

#12 ·
Thanks @Moriouce and @Oldman78! :drinks:

Truth be told the bearded Catachans weren't my idea, though I did the shirtless wonder of a sergeant's beard. My buddy whose army this was differentiated all of his Veteran squads by hair styles but didn't finish a couple squads before moving across this vast country of ours and selling his Guard collection to me (so he knew it would continue to crush the enemies of the Imperium). They're also all colour coded, blue, red, green, and now yellow. Don't know what I'm going to do when I get to painting the two 30 man blobs of Infantry that the army is calling to me to add (already have one built and ready to go).

The GK Librarian was a lucky extra model in a trade, I got 5 terminators and in the box were just the perfect bits to make this guy. Sure I had to cut some stuff off and hide my work with some GS as well as position the arms in a more suitably awesome manner, but I think he'll look like a total badass painted up. I kinda want to paint his fist glowing and have been tempted to model some GS energy crackling around his hand. Think I should or would it look tacky?

#14 ·
I know this is fire, but it also looks pretty cool. Could try to make it look like the power is dripping off his fist.

Or I could just go real simple and just add a bit of texture to his hand so that it looks a little cooler when I'm painting (I have a feeling I'll end up making it look like a blue armoured hand :()...either way I think I'll give it a few shots next time I have some spare GS mixed up. I have a few little projects that I'll need some for in the future...I really should get a big white board and list all my hobby projects for organizational purposes.

#15 ·
Woo restored Basilisk! It only took about an hour and a half of glue/plastic shaving, cutting of weird things, and GSing that front fender (pretty much just went: "well, that's good enough" hahaha).

I just couldn't be bothered to try and cut those flamer-looking tanks off the tread covers. This guy used more plastic glue than comes in a bottle on this model.

#16 ·
Huzzah! Death to the enemies of the Emperor of Mankind!

Well, the tanks could be fine, maybe just make them look like a fire extinguisher rack and it would actually be rather like modern military vehicles...

Hopefully the price justified the amount of restoration required!

#17 ·
Well, the tanks could be fine, maybe just make them look like a fire extinguisher rack and it would actually be rather like modern military vehicles
I'm torn. I might just angrily cut away at it and then model some sandbags across the front or something.

Hopefully the price justified the amount of restoration required!
She cost just a bit less than $20 USD, and most of that time was spent GSing the front panel because I had it mint and then put my thumb in it while addressing something else. FML. I simply don't have the patience to get the stupid thing back to where it was :(

#19 · (Edited)
I decided he didn't look too good with the tiny SG jump pack that I often use for characters. Tossed some BA bangles onto one of the bigguns and it looks way better, but that fancy left shoulder pad has to go. In breaking it off I had to remove the arm...the crozius...and his sword hand needed subtle re-positioning....

OK so I'm basically back where I started. He will look cool though.

New shiny might delay/distract from getting it done:

One unit of Sternguard coming up, plus (the right colour/quality) red basecoat! Love it, considering it takes me 45 minutes to get a good coat of Mephiston Red over a full model...

#20 ·
Let the reddening begin!

I have to build up some models. I have more Tactical marines (hopefully enough to fill out my third 10 man squad), those Sternguard, and 10 Death Company to get glued together.

...and that's just mah Blood Angels! :crazy:

#21 ·
Getting closer.....still not happy. He's good enough to use in tomorrow's game so I'm not proxying anything but I'll be ripping those hands off and trying AGAIN after. I don't think I've ever struggled this hard at hand swaps.

#22 ·
I don't think I've ever struggled this hard at hand swaps.
Sometimes the wax on wax off just isn't happening. Have you had another crack since this shot? How did the game go?

#26 · (Edited)
The pictures on the Games Workshop website are pretty clear, is there something that I can do to help explain what's going on there? I mean...it'll be a pain in the ass to get rid of some of those blood drops but it's plastic so it ain't that hard. It's more about what you replace them with.

You don't have to paint Blood Angels red by the way. They have lots of successor chapters that do not have red as a prominent color.

#27 ·
You don't have to paint Blood Angels red by the way. They have lots of successor chapters that do not have red as a prominent color.
As they say: "Khorne cares not from where the blood flows"!

#32 ·
Wow that's some nice progress, and not an Army that my Guard would like to come across in a dark alley...

#33 ·
Wow that's some nice progress
Thanks! I built 28 Warriors, 5 Immortals, 4 Scarab bases, the Triarch Stalker, and the Overlord over the last couple days. Hectic build. Had a such good clip going on the 28 Warriors the lady didn't even want to interrupt it :laugh:

not an Army that my Guard would like to come across in a dark alley...
Hilariously enough my mech Guard army is going to be facing this down any time my buddy wants to play. It will never be a Decurion, I run the Mephrit Dynasty Cohort so all my Troops choices re-roll 1's for Reanimation Protocols. Subtly less survivable :grin: Only thing I want to add to get it up to 2k is another Scythe. Eventually I'll get more gribbles but not before it's all painted and that Monolith is restored...damn. At least these guys have a simpler colour scheme than any of my Imperial efforts.

#36 ·
Disappointed that you have fallen under the spell of the xeno.
But Guns, Blood Angels and Necrons go hand in hand, through the fields of daisies and sunflowers towards a noble, bright future!

After all, Necrons have no blood or (technically) skulls, so why would Khorne's chosen have any need to kill them?

#35 ·
I'm gonna come out of left field and suggest you rework the monolith and just scrap that stupid gem on top.

Who puts a ring pop on top of their pyramid? Seriously.

#37 ·
#39 ·
Well, if you don't go ring pop (which is handy for sweet revenge) I think you have a number of options.

Eye of Sauron is a stylish choice to be sure. Other options include a red glowing "HAL 9000" oculus, or I think my favorite option: battery operated disco ball with colored LEDs.

It's a big enough model to hold batteries, an axle, and some lights. They could sit low under the "arms" that rise on either side of the upper deck.

#41 ·
It's a big enough model to hold batteries, an axle, and some lights. They could sit low under the "arms" that rise on either side of the upper deck.
If only I had the patience or interest in lighting stuff up, I've seen some pretty amazing work on the interwebz in that regard!

Wow, for a couple of days to build all that, good going sir good going.
Thanks! It was hectic. While some of it was in my collection I built and undercoated 28 Warriors, 5 Immortals, 6 Scarabs bases, a Triarch Stalker, and the Overlord (one of the most disappointing builds of my life). My fingers had a healthy amount of shine from super glue that day :laugh:

Not so much an update (though all the Warriors are silver and black, awaiting their blue-ness now) but I got in my first game with my 'crons yesterday. Played 1500 points on a woefully undersized board against a Battle Company using Imperial Fist Chapter Tactics. The game was the Relic and I lost by 1 point because of ObSec, which claims two firsts for me. First time I have ever lost to a list that employs a Battle Company and the first time I've straight up lost a game because I don't use Detachments that provide ObSec. Super fun matchup though, if we had've had time for variable game length and it went on I very likely would have won but ah well. I got First Blood and Slay the Warlord at least :grin:

#42 ·
@ntaw Understood. As an alternative path you could just use a ring pop.

If your opponent blows up the monolith, give them the ring pop!

#45 ·
If your opponent blows up the monolith, give them the ring pop!
I will be employing this idea in any games it's used in before being fully refurbished. Too good!

I'm impressed at the SM player that he beat you, but I'm sure he'll find his comeuppance from the implacable robot hordes soon!
Well I did lose. With both my Overlord, Lord, four Immortals, and 13 or so Warriors on about the Relic with his lone assault marine that somehow passed his Ld test stuck within 3" of the stupid objective :ireful:

It was a great match, my first time playing Necrons fully since 2nd edition when they were released. Loved them. I don't use any of the in-book Formations so my army isn't really competitive I don't think..I really need stuff that blows armour up as opposed to wrecking it if I get close enough with enough Warriors. Heavy Destroyers are the option I think, in trying to keep my force somewhat classically themed.

Why did you think the Overlord was one of the most disappointing builds in your life?
It was the last model in all of that list that I built, and I'm sick of ball-joint connections. Give me a flat surface pretty please! Plus without the cape on how are you supposed to get the angle on the single leg right?? Maybe I just wasn't reading the instructions right, maybe they're dumb...I'm over it now though :biggrin:

Oh and what's that terrain? Styrofoam?
You got it, 2" hard foam insulation. I liberated a 8'x2' sheet from a job site a year ago that was just gunna get chucked out, been cutting up hills for some time now. It's all sanded and PVA glue-sealed for painting I just haven't gotten around to it. Here's a couple pics of a 4k match I played a few months back that have pretty much all of it out on the table, plus my buddy's army is pretty eye catching I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.