Serious Nid Help Required!

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tyranid Army Lists

Serious Nid Help Required!

Tyranid Army Lists

#1 Old 08-05-08, 12:13 AM Serious Nid Help Required!
A_Lone_Hobo
Icon Serious Nid Help Required!

This is what i have to play with:

3 Warriors
16 Genestealers
8 Termagants
8 Hormagaunts
3 Carnifexes

How would one go about setting this up to be an all rounded army?

(I want at least 1 CC Carnifex as I love how UBER these things are in combat )

Thanks!

#2 Old 08-05-08, 12:24 AM Serious Nid Help Required!
Hespithe
Christian, by God's Grace

Hello mate!

Ya have a problem there, mate. A well-rounded bug army does not happen so easily, lol. You need Synapse or you'll perish too quickly to even contest an objective. Make one Fex a CC monster as you like, and keep him under 114pts.... He's an Elite Choice. Next, kit the other two out to be Sniper Fex's with Stranglers and VCannons. The smaller bugs can be put into units of 8 easily enough with whatever upgrades you like (I'm partial to ExtCarapace and Scuttlers on the Stealers), leaving the Hormies and Termies as they are. The Warriors can be an issue. They are currently your only Synapse, and they are quite fragile to be left in such a position. They can work well as a low-key shooty unit, if you give them a VCannon, but the likelihood is that they'll make easy targets for enemy long-ranged guns. A Broodlord, or Tyrant would be a great purchase, as would a few Zoanthropes for Synapse and spooky Str10 psyker-slime.

Honestly, any army over 500pts will give your list a hard time, simply because your Synapse network is nearly non-existent. At least one more unit will have to be purchased in order to make the rest a reasonable army.

These are my opinions at least. Cheers!

#3 Old 08-05-08, 12:58 AM Serious Nid Help Required!
dizzington esq
dizzington esq's Flag is: Australia

Hespithe is 100% correct here, your synapse level is not going to give you adequate coverage. Possibly more warriors to increase this and I would recommend a brood lord for a hq unit simply as you have 16 stealers. He is a hard core tyranid greeblie and worthy of inclusion and also is a synapse greeblie as well.

Rippers are like scarabs only not as good

Did I mention that I like scarabs...

Scarab count at T-26...

#4 Old 08-05-08, 01:55 AM Serious Nid Help Required!
Lelldorin84
Lelldorin84's Flag is: Canada

Definitely go with a hive tyrant, I personally like taking 2 zoanthropes to go with my tyrant, it helps if you spread them apart in your army to get some overlapping synapse.

Tyranids are tricky in the sense that you always have to be mindful of your synapse range. I know in friendly games most opponents don't think about the synapse or don't care but if you ever get into tournaments your opponent will be looking for anyway to beat you and taking out your synapse could really ruin your day lol. So more synapse the better!

Also hormagaunts and gaunts are cheap so don't be afraid to field a large number in several squads, their just there to block the bullets for your deadly CC units.

P.S. One of my fav units is a carn with 4 devourers. 8 strength 6 shots with re-rolls to hit and re-rolls to wound pretty awesome against troops and light vehicles.

Last edited by Lelldorin84; 08-05-08 at 05:59 PM.

#5 Old 08-05-08, 01:57 AM Serious Nid Help Required!
1k-termie
1k-termie's Flag is: Canada

Well, Synapse creatures are a must. Go out and buy a Broodlord, and make those warriors Elite. Then, get 3 more warriors, and keep going with the genestealers. they are dedly. or, get a gaunt box, and use the extra guns from the first one instead of schything talons, to make 16 Termagaunts instead of 8 and 8 hormies.

#6 Old 08-05-08, 12:55 PM Serious Nid Help Required!
A_Lone_Hobo

Cool cheers guys!

I am thinking of getting a Hive Tyrant and then 3 more warriors to make a 6 bug brood

Also thinking of adding another 8 genestealers . . . .

What you think?

And can you please post the upgrades required for my two gunner carnifexes and the CC one as i am a complete noob and have no idea (as well as no codex )

Cheeers!

#7 Old 08-05-08, 03:34 PM Serious Nid Help Required!
Blackhiker
Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

Well get the codex before you get any more bugs.

As for the CC fex toss on spine banks 2 sets of scything talons and a tail upgrade. that should keep it cheap so you might be able to toss on a few more things, but look through the codex first.

Here are some pictures so you now what they look like.

For the sniper fexs put on a venom cannon and barbed strangler each as well as enhanced senses. for the back put on any of them, but the thornback.

Hope that helps.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.

#8 Old 08-05-08, 06:15 PM Serious Nid Help Required!
Lelldorin84
Lelldorin84's Flag is: Canada

Haha its hard getting both the venom cannon and the barbed strangler on the carn, I tried to get them on criss crossing but it wouldn't work, so I cut the arms off at the elbow and glued them together. Nice paint job blackhiker!

#9 Old 08-05-08, 07:25 PM Serious Nid Help Required!
A_Lone_Hobo

ok then here is the revised list:

hive tyrant (Anti infantry ranged)

2x8 genestealers

3 carnifexes (2 CC 1 Anti Tank ranged)

. . . . . .. . .

Comments and ideas for possible biomorph thingy selections?

#10 Old 08-05-08, 07:59 PM Serious Nid Help Required!
thomas2
thomas2's Flag is: Great Britain

Don't put spine backs on your CC 'fexes, use flesh hooks instead! You can climb over walls and cliffs (not quite sure how that works, sure they're meant to be like grappling hooks, but it's a 'fex!), and does the same in combat and are cheaper. Oh, and if you want elite 'fexes, rather than heavy support use the mace rather than scythe tail.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tyranid Army Lists