Farsight Enclaves and competitive lists?

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tau Army Lists

Farsight Enclaves and competitive lists?

Tau Army Lists

#1 Old 07-24-13, 10:51 AM Farsight Enclaves and competitive lists?
AledM
AledM's Flag is: Wales
Default Farsight Enclaves and competitive lists?

OK so with the Farsight Enclaves we have had an additional battle brother ally to the Tau army as well as access to crisis troops and several other goodies.
The farsight Command squad disappointed me now that it officially requires farsight....

Anyway, in light of the new supplement I thought id ask what everyone things it could bring to the table for competitive Tau lists.

Do you think an all-battlesuit list can be competitive? Im starting to think more of a hybrid list would be better, utilising fire warriors a bit more....

I guess the point of this post is to put forward lists that you have come up with incorporating the Farsight Enclaves, that you think could shake the competitive scene....

Happy Hunting!
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 07-24-13, 11:10 AM Farsight Enclaves and competitive lists?
Xabre
Xabre's Flag is: USA

*points further down the forum*

I've already created two lists, one here, one in Necrons, using Farsight. The one here is running 4 Riptides... 3 from C:TE, and 1 from FS.

Crisis Troops are just like running Draigowing or Deathwing... They're very expensive scoring units, which means extremely low numbers. And honestly, The wargear options of the Signature systems are... weak. I see Farsight being used a lot as an ally, but very possibly only as a delivery system for 2 units of scoring Crisis and one Earth-Caste Riptide (which is how I've used them each time). I really think the Earth-Case Array alone will be the make or break for Farsight, kind of like how Iyanden allowed Wraiths to run using Spiritseers (and lots of them).

The army I designed was 2000 points, and looked something like this:

Commander w/ Drone Controller, 4 Marker Drones from FA
2 Fireblades (1 is the HQ from Farsight)
2 Squads of Firewarriors (as battle brothers, the Farsight Fireblade can man one)
2 Squads of Farsight Crisis w/ Plasma
4 Riptides with VT, EWO, Fusion (1 is from Farsight, and has the Earth Array)
3 Broadside solos w/ HYMP and 2 MDs.

When you look at it, honestly, it kind of still has the standard troop feel, but 'abusing' 6 elite slots... and allowing the crisis to score also. Are 4 riptides over the top? probably, but it's a HUGE threat.

#3 Old 07-24-13, 11:18 AM Farsight Enclaves and competitive lists?
AledM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
*points further down the forum*

I've already created two lists, one here, one in Necrons, using Farsight. The one here is running 4 Riptides... 3 from C:TE, and 1 from FS.

Crisis Troops are just like running Draigowing or Deathwing... They're very expensive scoring units, which means extremely low numbers. And honestly, The wargear options of the Signature systems are... weak. I see Farsight being used a lot as an ally, but very possibly only as a delivery system for 2 units of scoring Crisis and one Earth-Caste Riptide (which is how I've used them each time). I really think the Earth-Case Array alone will be the make or break for Farsight, kind of like how Iyanden allowed Wraiths to run using Spiritseers (and lots of them).

The army I designed was 2000 points, and looked something like this:

Commander w/ Drone Controller, 4 Marker Drones from FA
2 Fireblades (1 is the HQ from Farsight)
2 Squads of Firewarriors (as battle brothers, the Farsight Fireblade can man one)
2 Squads of Farsight Crisis w/ Plasma
4 Riptides with VT, EWO, Fusion (1 is from Farsight, and has the Earth Array)
3 Broadside solos w/ HYMP and 2 MDs.

When you look at it, honestly, it kind of still has the standard troop feel, but 'abusing' 6 elite slots... and allowing the crisis to score also. Are 4 riptides over the top? probably, but it's a HUGE threat.
Its a good list but it seems too light on things to deal with AV14. 4 riptides is nasty, granted. With the amount of shots coming out from the riptides and fire warriors, I think it would be a good decision to drop the broadsides for some hammerhead support to deal with pesky tanks.

#4 Old 07-24-13, 11:27 AM Farsight Enclaves and competitive lists?
Xabre

well, 4 Riptides means 4 Fusion, and especially the Earth Riptide can fire their fusion twice. I prefer large suits over tanks, but yes, I may consider using 2 Submunition Hammerheads instead of the Broadsides.

Point remains the same; I think Farsight is good as an ally, not a primary. Someone else just posted a Farsight primary with Tau also.

#5 Old 07-24-13, 11:42 AM Farsight Enclaves and competitive lists?
AledM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
well, 4 Riptides means 4 Fusion, and especially the Earth Riptide can fire their fusion twice. I prefer large suits over tanks, but yes, I may consider using 2 Submunition Hammerheads instead of the Broadsides.

Point remains the same; I think Farsight is good as an ally, not a primary. Someone else just posted a Farsight primary with Tau also.
Yeah I noticed, im hoping tocompile some lists and suggestions here for people to look over and analyze thats all ^^. Why look for posts over many pages when we can get it all in one thread...
I heartily agree on two sub round hammerheads though.....and longstrike would be good...

#6 Old 07-24-13, 12:05 PM Farsight Enclaves and competitive lists?
Xabre

Updated my other list with possibilities.

In general, I think Crisis suits are a little bit too cost inefficient to make a strong list out of. They're powerful units, but they tend to cost more than Terminators (though around the same cost as Paladins, which also has 2 wounds), but with worse survivability. Their firepower and maneuverability is impressive... but we're talking 53 points or so for a Bonded suit with 2 'heavy' guns (2 MP, 2 Plasma, etc... no twin link), and that's before trying to add a 3rd hardpoint. They can't take as much abuse as a TEQ, which makes them decent support, but I can't see them usable as a Core.

#7 Old 07-25-13, 05:06 PM Farsight Enclaves and competitive lists?
TailzZz

I completely agree with Xabre's point on them not being cost efficient.

I just played a few games with my list I posted (altered a little) and although it looks awesome on the table I was tabled on turn 5 my first game and lost my 2nd. The first game was vs 3 wraith knights though... the dou@#e.

52 points for a t4 w2 3+ model is too much to be effective. It's great to ally to make the crisis suits troops and free up elite slots, but that is the only purpose I will use it for... besides the array for a riptide.

#8 Old 07-25-13, 06:02 PM Farsight Enclaves and competitive lists?
AledM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailzZz View Post
I completely agree with Xabre's point on them not being cost efficient.

I just played a few games with my list I posted (altered a little) and although it looks awesome on the table I was tabled on turn 5 my first game and lost my 2nd. The first game was vs 3 wraith knights though... the dou@#e.

52 points for a t4 w2 3+ model is too much to be effective. It's great to ally to make the crisis suits troops and free up elite slots, but that is the only purpose I will use it for... besides the array for a riptide.
3 wraithknights....oh man..... Id simply refuse to play a douche like that, or if i had the money id field 5 riptides against him. How many points was the game?

#9 Old 07-25-13, 06:11 PM Farsight Enclaves and competitive lists?
iamtheeviltwin
iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

I agree, my first thoughts when people were drooling over an all suit army were "prepare to be disappointed". A small number of elite troops is hard to win with and Suits are not as tough as an equivalent priced tough unit like TEQ. Even the supplement itself mentions within it's pages that "fire warriors are the core of the enclave's army" (paraphrasing). I think if you make a more traditional Tau army with the enclave list you gain a nice tough scoring unit or two, but you are still going to need the soft bodies on the ground as your main firepower.

(although scoring suits much like scoring bikes make great late game objective grabber/contestors)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)

#10 Old 07-25-13, 06:20 PM Farsight Enclaves and competitive lists?
AledM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheeviltwin View Post
I agree, my first thoughts when people were drooling over an all suit army were "prepare to be disappointed". A small number of elite troops is hard to win with and Suits are not as tough as an equivalent priced tough unit like TEQ. Even the supplement itself mentions within it's pages that "fire warriors are the core of the enclave's army" (paraphrasing). I think if you make a more traditional Tau army with the enclave list you gain a nice tough scoring unit or two, but you are still going to need the soft bodies on the ground as your main firepower.

(although scoring suits much like scoring bikes make great late game objective grabber/contestors)
My thoughts exactly.....Although I am still thinking using this supplement for allies only is the way forward. Bottom line is use the tau dex for fire warriors, have crisis troops to deepstrike in with fusion blasters and take out pesky armour and go for late objectives. The rest is basically hammerheads + riptides with fireblades and a mark'o and some pathfinders....Maybe a sky ray too....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tau Army Lists