Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.

40k Rules Discussion

#1 Old 07-10-12, 01:26 AM Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.
Da Joka
Da Joka's Flag is: USA

Default Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.

I got a good amount of questions that the new FAQ didn't answer... so what's your guys take on these?

1) If Mind in the Machine effects a Zooming Flyer with more then four weapons (and missiles) how many can you fire? The rule says may fire as if it didn't move in the previous turn.

2) Three Part Question:
i) When playing a mission with the Night Fighting rule, and you are using Imotekh, who's Lord of the Strom rule always makes it Night Fighting in the first turn, do you roll for the Mission's Night Figthing anyways?
ii) If yes, and the normal Night Fighting roll fails, do you roll to see if night fighting comes into effect on turn 5?
iii) If yes again, would this Night Fighting cause Lightining Bolts?

3) A Tesla Destructor arcs to a unit that can not be seen by the unit that fired, but can be seen by the unit targeted. Can any wounds actually be caused?

4) What do you roll first? Deny the Witch? Or Gloom Prisim?

5) Does a C'tan's Lord of Fire work against Psyker using a power from the Pyromancy Discipline?

6) Do Canoptek Spyders gain an extra attack if they have a Fabrication Array?

Necrons in 6th Edition W: 28 L: 9 D: 5
Orks in 6th Edition W:9 L:9 D:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
F*** that, Barrel rolling monolith all the way.
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 07-10-12, 02:00 AM Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.
Arcane
Arcane's Flag is: USA

7) Matt Ward?

#3 Old 07-10-12, 02:19 AM Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.
Kelann08
Kelann08's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Joka View Post
1) If Mind in the Machine effects a Zooming Flyer with more then four weapons (and missiles) how many can you fire? The rule says may fire as if it didn't move in the previous turn.
The maximum amount available. It fires as if it didn't move.

Quote:
2) Three Part Question:
i) When playing a mission with the Night Fighting rule, and you are using Imotekh, who's Lord of the Strom rule always makes it Night Fighting in the first turn, do you roll for the Mission's Night Figthing anyways?
ii) If yes, and the normal Night Fighting roll fails, do you roll to see if night fighting comes into effect on turn 5?
iii) If yes again, would this Night Fighting cause Lightining Bolts?
i) No. It says they "automatically apply". My guess is they worded it like this knowing how night fighting would work in 6E.

ii) "...cease to be in effect and are not used for the rest of the battle." Again, no. Again, worded in such a way as to indicate they knew how NF would work in 6th. Look at it this way, prior to 6E, was there any way to add night fighting back to the game after it had ended? Nope. Hence this sentence would only be necessary if you knew you were adding a way to apply NF to later turns of the game.

iii) see ii.

Quote:
3) A Tesla Destructor arcs to a unit that can not be seen by the unit that fired, but can be seen by the unit targeted. Can any wounds actually be caused?
Not sure, this is definitely an FAQ question. I would say yes. Reasoning? The arcs are similar to a scattering blast weapon. You can't see where the blast scatters to but it still deals damage when it gets there. My guess is we need a new USR term like "incidental damage" that applies regardless of LOS or NF rules to weapons like arcing tesla or blast templates.

Quote:
I would say whichever is better. Think of it like an armor save for psychic powers.

Quote:
5) Does a C'tan's Lord of Fire work against Psyker using a power from the Pyromancy Discipline?
The entry expressly says "all flamer weapons and weapons with the melta type." A psychic power is not classified as a weapon therefore it doesn't apply.

Quote:
By default, Spyders are not stated as having a melee weapon. Based on page 51 "no specified melee weapon" section, this means it does in fact have one. The fabricator claw array is ADDING a melee weapon to the unit therefore it has two therefore giving it an additional attack.

Do you live in the Dallas, TX area and love tabletop tactica? Check out Dallas Area Wargamers on Facebook.
We are working to become a community of wargamers from all over the area as well as a resource for those looking to enter wargaming for the first time.

The Emperor commands us. Dorn guides us. Honour shields us.
Fear our name, for it is vengeance.

#4 Old 07-10-12, 03:18 AM Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.
Da Joka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelann08 View Post
The maximum amount available. It fires as if it didn't move.
Well that's the thing a Zooming flyer always has to move, and is only allowed to fire four weapons a turn while zooming. Take for example the Dark Eldar Razorwing Jetfighter, it has Twin-linked splinter rifles; Two wing-mounted dark lances; Four monoscythe missiles. What could I fire?

Quote:
i) No. It says they "automatically apply". My guess is they worded it like this knowing how night fighting would work in 6E.

ii) "...cease to be in effect and are not used for the rest of the battle." Again, no. Again, worded in such a way as to indicate they knew how NF would work in 6th. Look at it this way, prior to 6E, was there any way to add night fighting back to the game after it had ended? Nope. Hence this sentence would only be necessary if you knew you were adding a way to apply NF to later turns of the game.

iii) see ii.
I didn't think this worked. But I had to make sure... and I think they should throw it in the FAQ for good measure.

Quote:
Not sure, this is definitely an FAQ question. I would say yes. Reasoning? The arcs are similar to a scattering blast weapon. You can't see where the blast scatters to but it still deals damage when it gets there. My guess is we need a new USR term like "incidental damage" that applies regardless of LOS or NF rules to weapons like arcing tesla or blast templates.
I would like to say I would be able to wound as well... but the FAQ says Cover saves are determined by the firing unit, and not the unit hit.

Quote:
I would say whichever is better. Think of it like an armor save for psychic powers.
Well you get both, think it of a Rune Preist's Runic Weapon, rather then a psychic hood. I was just wondering witch would you take first?

Quote:
The entry expressly says "all flamer weapons and weapons with the melta type." A psychic power is not classified as a weapon therefore it doesn't apply.
That is what I thought... just wasn't 100% if psychic powers where considered weapons or not.

Quote:
By default, Spyders are not stated as having a melee weapon. Based on page 51 "no specified melee weapon" section, this means it does in fact have one. The fabricator claw array is ADDING a melee weapon to the unit therefore it has two therefore giving it an additional attack.
Very nice, now I just need to get some more Spyders and put Fabricator Claw Arrays on them.

#5 Old 07-10-12, 05:36 AM Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.
Azrell
Azrell's Flag is: USA

I got a good amount of questions that the new FAQ didn't answer... so what's your guys take on these?

You can take both.

It its a psychic shooting attack that fits the profile, read the power. It would work agents any weapon with an effect described in the rule.

No.

Because you only get the default CCW if you don't have one, as soon as you buy the Fabricator Claw Array, you have a CCW and don't receive one by default. Same way as SM with a bolt pistol doesn't have a CCW, but can use the BP but loses the default one.

#6 Old 07-10-12, 06:14 AM Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.
Tim/Steve
WFB Moderator
Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Well that's the thing a Zooming flyer always has to move, and is only allowed to fire four weapons a turn while zooming. Take for example the Dark Eldar Razorwing Jetfighter, it has Twin-linked splinter rifles; Two wing-mounted dark lances; Four monoscythe missiles. What could I fire?
Irrelevant: fliers always have to move, but you aren't moving it, simply treating it as stationary for how many guns it can fire. As such you get to fire all weapons (not that many fliers are going to have more then 4 weapons, especially since there is a limit to the number of missiles you can fire a turn- think its 2 a turn, but would need the time to check my BRB, which I don't currently have).

#7 Old 07-10-12, 07:33 AM Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.
Kelann08
Kelann08's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrell View Post

It its a psychic shooting attack that fits the profile, read the power. It would work agents any weapon with an effect described in the rule.
Read the rule in the Necron Codex. A psychic shooting attack is not a weapon. The codex says it only works against weapons with the melta or flamer type. Not attacks or shooting attacks or abilities with the melta or flamer type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrell View Post

No.

Because you only get the default CCW if you don't have one, as soon as you buy the Fabricator Claw Array, you have a CCW and don't receive one by default. Same way as SM with a bolt pistol doesn't have a CCW, but can use the BP but loses the default one.
Taking the Arra doesn't remove something you already have. Its also not listed as an upgrade to the Spyder's CCW. The spyder isn't listed as having a CCW therefore it gets one by default. Adding the Array increases the number of CCWs by one, hence an extra attack. A space marine comes with a bolt pistol by default which is recognized as a close combat weapon. There is nothing listed as a CCW in the Spyder's basic entry. Apples and oranges.

#8 Old 07-10-12, 12:22 PM Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.
falcoso

1) If Mind in the Machine effects a Zooming Flyer with more then four weapons (and missiles) how many can you fire? The rule says may fire as if it didn't move in the previous turn

I would say you fire 4 weapons normally thn snap fire the rest

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow

#9 Old 07-10-12, 01:11 PM Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.
Da Joka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Irrelevant: fliers always have to move, but you aren't moving it, simply treating it as stationary for how many guns it can fire. As such you get to fire all weapons (not that many fliers are going to have more then 4 weapons, especially since there is a limit to the number of missiles you can fire a turn- think its 2 a turn, but would need the time to check my BRB, which I don't currently have).
so for the Razorwing I could fire it's Twin-linked splinter rifles, the two dark lances, and two missiles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoso View Post
1) If Mind in the Machine effects a Zooming Flyer with more then four weapons (and missiles) how many can you fire? The rule says may fire as if it didn't move in the previous turn

I would say you fire 4 weapons normally thn snap fire the rest
Why would you have to snap fire the rest? It doesn't say anything about snap firing in the rule.

#10 Old 07-10-12, 06:35 PM Necron questions that the FAQ did not cover.
gally912
Unforgiven
gally912's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Taking the Arra doesn't remove something you already have. Its also not listed as an upgrade to the Spyder's CCW. The spyder isn't listed as having a CCW therefore it gets one by default. Adding the Array increases the number of CCWs by one, hence an extra attack. A space marine comes with a bolt pistol by default which is recognized as a close combat weapon. There is nothing listed as a CCW in the Spyder's basic entry. Apples and oranges.
This is wrong.

We've discussed this in the Rules section, but to reiterate-

The rule states:
"If a model is not specifically stated as having a weapon with the Melee type, it is treated as being armed with a single close combat weapon."

It specifically does not state "has one close combat weapon" it states "treated as armed having one" if it does not.

Secondly, if you upgrade a model with a close combat weapon, you no longer meat the qualifications of not having a weapon with the melee type.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion