Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Rise of the Necrons - Wraithlord Wakes the Tomb Worlds

13K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  Orochi 
#1 ·
So it has been a looooooooong time since I posted anything painting wise and actually a long time since I painted anything. However two things have gotten me into the groove again and they are 6th Ed and the newest Necron book. I didn't even bother with the book until recently and when I did pick it up I was blown away by the sheer coolness of it. So with my interest rekindled I am now starting up a Necron army and hopefully this log will help me keep at it. I will take further pics as I can but I need to get a new camera so for the most part you guys will have to take the pics from my phone, sorry.

As I actually have to go to work in 10 minutes I will just put up the pics of the wip Lord I have going on. This is about an hours worth of work, very basic, and I have no idea yet where I will end up as this is the first model to get paint and will become the basis for the entire army.

Those of you who know my painting style will know that I am very fond of metallic paints and that I tend to use a fair bit of them even on models that don't always call for it. Because of this, I think that Necrons are going to be a very good match with my painting style as the entire army is metal. I do intend to break it up a bit with matte colours as well but the 90% look is something I dig.

See less See more
#4 ·
Very cool! Glad to see you back in the painting threads mate and I look forward to some metallic Necron goodness.

To the model above, I really like the purple hue on that guys cloack tails. Is it levithan over silver?

#5 ·
Yes it is but the difference in this army to others is that I am now using Privateer Press paints as I find them to be a bit better overall compared to GW. So that is a base of quick silver with a very small edge highlight of radiant platinum and a couple quick thin washes of leviathan.

Thanks for the interest guys, I will do my best to keep this updated a bit more regularly than I did with my other plogs.

#7 ·
Interesting that you say that. I too have found that I am really starting to prefer the P3 Formula paints over the other brands and I have been starting to stock them in my paint cabinet. If you have not used them already, I really recommend their inks, they are top notch.

#9 ·
Thanks Toss, 'preciate it.

If you have not used them already, I really recommend their inks, they are top notch.
How would you compare them to the GW washes though? I make HEAVY use of the washes myself, to the point of actually painting models entirely opposite of normal by starting out at the brightest point I want to be and darkening the model down instead of starting dark and highlighting up. In fact most of my paint jobs since the washes came out are 90% repeated wash layering.

So more pics now too. These are the other new models I have assembled:

Immortals (the army is based on these guys as they kick serious ass all around)

Command/Annihilation Barge: GW impressed me with this kit in that it is stupidly easy to use as either or without the need for magnets of any kind.

Doom/Nightscythe: Same again, easy to use as either or without magnets although the way the two bitz fit the model may require a magnet after enough usage.

Ghost/Doomsday Ark: This one was a bit trickier. The Necrons aren't magnetized but instead use a pin that goes right through the hull to support the opposite model. They can be easily removed so that the big cannon can be put in place when needed. I decided to keep the hull with the upwards swept arms because I like it the best and it made it FAR easier than trying to magnetize it for something fairly minor.

Beyond the models here I also have 20-30 painted (not by me) Warriors, 4 Destroyers, 2 old style Wraiths, 3 Scarab bases, 6 old style and fugly Immortals, 1 old style Lord, and a Monolith. Of these models it is unlikely that I will be keeping any of them beyond the Warriors and the Lord as the new models for these units are far and away better looking while the Monolith has a rather horrible assembly and paint job on it. The list I am going to build will be something similar to this:

1 Overlord
3 Lords

4x 10 Immortals (Tesla Carbine)

5 Canoptek Wraiths

4 Destroyers

1 Annihilation Barge

1 Doom Scythe

These models with the wargear I will use comes to 1845pts but I will also pick up the models I don't have listed like the Spiders, a new Monolith, etc. I intend to have at least one of every unit in the codex with the exception of a few of the SC's and the uber useless Flayed Ones.

#10 ·
Time for my first update. Got a little bit more work done on the Lord now, mainly starting on the gold areas. Highlights are done and now I am just at the stage where I start to apply washes to get the feel I am looking for. Might only be a slight wash however as I kinda like the looks of the gold as is. It is a tad too bright for the time being but the depth and colour of it is what I was going for.

#13 ·
shocked your not doing more chaos
As I have painted damn near all my Thousand Sons army, I am waiting on them to see what happens with the new book. I already know I don't need to paint any more of my vehicles save my land raider (and I kinda want a new one anyway) and I don't see the point in going any further with the unpainted models I do have until I find out if they are going to suddenly be useless to me.

Back to the Necrons. Got a little bit more done today with the time I had. Just a few thin wash layers on the gold to darken it down.

I am thinking that only lord level Necrons are going to have either the gold or the purple, not sure which yet. Basic Warriors will be almost straight up boltgun with very little colour added and units with higher autonomy in the fluff, such as Immortals and Praetorians, will have more colour to separate them out. The eyes and glowing areas are going to be green as I just can't picture them with any other colour. I thought about orange, red, blue, yellow, etc, etc, but I keep coming back to a vile green as the best colour. GW got that one right for sure.

#16 ·
Are you planning any other spot colors? Like for the weapons and spheres? because I feel like it needs a bit more contrasting color. Other than tha your metallics are looking blood fantastic!

#17 ·
About the eyes, thought of a deep to light purple glowing effect for a power source to compliment the armour?
Most likely going with the usual green for the power sources but it will honestly depend on the final turnout of the model itself. The glowing areas and any osl I do because of it will be the very last thing I do and may be different for individual models.

is done with inks or a metal paint?
Metallic paints like Boltgun, etc, with the GW washes over that. I do a reverse painting process to most people in that I paint my models to the brightest I want them to be and then use large wash layers to darken it down to the final colours. It is actually very unintuitive for most folks but it is what works for me.

Are you planning any other spot colors? Like for the weapons and spheres? because I feel like it needs a bit more contrasting color.
Oh absolutely Midge, never fear. Keep in mind that this is only the basic colours so far, I still have osl, spot colours, etc, to do.

Thanks for the compliments guys, it is much appreciated. I am hoping to get a bit more done on this model today so hopefully I will have another pic update later.

#19 · (Edited)
Small update for now, still painting the models in front of me but I will definitely have pics later on tonight. I am currently working on the staff for the lord and have done the first coat of pig iron on the first unit of immortals. The more I look at this lord, the more I think that green is not going to work as the eye colour. Maybe for the orb, dunno. Right now however I am thinking that a deep red/orange colour is going to be best, similar to the eyes in the Terminator movies but more on the orange side. I may use the res orb as a different colour to offset the model a bit but I am really thinking that orange is the way. Won't know till I try it however which WILL happen tonight. Also, the more I look at the models for this army, the more I like the idea of a dark look to them, no truly bright colours. I don't want these guys to shine at all but instead I want them to look grim and malevolent which is another reason I am thinking of the red/orange as any OSL done on them will be darker and more ominous looking.

#20 ·
So I made myself a liar and didn't have the pics last night as I thought I would. Here they are now however.

The gold sections of the staff are done now and you can see that the purple of the grip has been started.

Just a shot showing the base metal coat done on the first 10 Immortals.

#22 ·
So I made myself a liar and didn't have the pics last night as I thought I would.
Naughty Wraithlord.:nono:

With purple and gold have you thought of Blue as an option for eyes? You could add green to the blue to get a more turquoise tone bring it closer to the green of the rods.
As the purple seems toward the red-violet end I would incline slightly more toward a yellow-green than a blue-green.

#21 ·
Looking sweet Wraith.

With purple and gold have you thought of Blue as an option for eyes? You could add green to the blue to get a more turquoise tone bring it closer to the green of the rods.

Great to see anther Wraithlord Plog on the go,
even handier as there are some colours and techniques that will be useful on a project I will have to start painting soon.

#23 ·
The gold on the Lord looks just right; somehow you've hit that "sweet spot". It's far too easy for golds to look very lumpy and over-stuffed with the little metallic flakes. But you've got it to look really smooth, and still retaining a kind of muted, but subtly brilliant, shine. Rep, good sir.

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words guys, I truly do appreciate them. To answer some of your questions:

With purple and gold have you thought of Blue as an option for eyes?
As the purple seems toward the red-violet end I would incline slightly more toward a yellow-green than a blue-green.
Since my post a couple back I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the eyes and energy sources are going to have to be on the red/yellow end of the spectrum. I prefer the green but two things hold me back from doing it. One, everyone does Necrons with green eyes/lights/etc and as anyone who has read one of my logs knows I have a hard time 'following the norm' when I paint my armies. Two, I am thinking that the green might not go well with the colour choices I am making.

Regardless, the eyes and anything that will have a glow to it will be the absolute LAST things I paint so that I will be able to have a better reference for that final colour choice. Hopefully I will get a bit more time to paint tonight as well.

You could add green to the blue to get a more turquoise tone bring it closer to the green of the rods.
Not using the rods, at all. In fact, when I repaint the warriors and any models I currently have with the rods, they are getting painted over as well. I have always HATED, with a passion HATED, the rods as they stand out far too much to me. It is the one area that is unpainted on the model from the base up and as such it stands out and, to me at least, makes the model look unfinished.

EDIT: got a couple of pics here to share with you. Got a little bit more of the purple on the staff done and I have started on the orange areas. Still really unsure about how this is going to work out but I won't know until I do it. On the downside, not five minutes after I took these pics I spilled my red paint and got it all over the orb hand and the gold loincloth which means I am going to have to redo both areas again :p

#25 ·
I will have pics later hopefully but I did want to take this moment to say that I now understand why people call it Finecrap. I just picked up the Overlord model and I am appalled at the amount of flash, mold lines, etc, that this model has. So nice that the staff is bent to add insult to injury. I will seriously debate ever buying a FC model again as the quality level on this one is just incredibly subpar. Hell, when I tried my own hand at casting models I got better results than this.

#27 ·
Watch out for the failcast Overlord when you transport him. I remember playing a Necron vs Necron game, and my poor opponent's Overlord's staff broke; the bottom end snapped off his hand so it became more of a Warstick than a Warscythe. I pitied him as it was painted really nicely.

I then realised, upon arriving home, that I should have saved the pity for myself. My Overlord broke in the exact same way.

#28 ·
Well I didn't take any pics during the test period but I have discovered that the reddish light I was going to use for the eyes and glowing areas of the Necrons just doesn't fit with my colours. At all surprisingly. Work is currently being done to turn them green as I have to get this model finished for the Army Painting comp.

#29 ·
Cutting it close to the deadline but here is the model at its almost finished current state. Sorry about the fuzziness on the first one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.