New Empire Arch Lector, waste of points or totally worth it?

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > General Warhammer

General Warhammer This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer Fantasy.

New Empire Arch Lector, waste of points or totally worth it?

General Warhammer

View Poll Results: Are Arch Lectors worth the points compared to a Priest?
Absolutly 7 70.00%
Not on your life 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

#1 Old 04-22-12, 03:33 PM New Empire Arch Lector, waste of points or totally worth it?
karlhunt
karlhunt's Flag is: USA
Default New Empire Arch Lector, waste of points or totally worth it?

Let's face it, with an Arch Lector a full 35 points above the cost of a priest and only granting +1 W, +1 LD, and 50 more points of magic items, are they even remotely worth it?

#2 Old 04-22-12, 08:03 PM New Empire Arch Lector, waste of points or totally worth it?
Vaz
Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

I do so love questions that are completely unbiased or unloaded towards a particular answer.

Look at the pros - it doesn't share a points allowance for the other priests allowing further stacking, 35 points is 7 state troops - having a 3 wound stubborn hat and 4+ ward is fairly resilient. You are spoiled by by elite fighter and buff heroes like vampires or tomb kings these days but you pay through the nose for them. While his buffs dont improve all that much, his resilience makes up for it. Backed by a standard of discipline you can get a ld 10 general with stubborn and hatred for nearby units. vhs is shit now so stubborn hat is by far the best option. that leaves you 65 points - get yourself meteroic iron and sword of battle and you have a fairly decent character.

for 200 points you get rerolls to hit for your unit and a ld 10 stubborn general. backed by as bsb and you pass on hold the line without the need to take the near useless general thanks to the loss of state troop magic banner.

in lists larger than 2000 points I think an arch lector should be taken to back up the essential wizard lord as little can rival its spot and its resilience outweighs its it 85 point difference when tooled. ecen if you keep it as stubborn lector compare that the 35 point difference is an upgrade that vampires have to pay 70 points for (revenant and standard of discipline).

the brokeness of arch lectors in the last list spoiled you. now you must choose between fighty, magicky or buff. not xombine the best of two and shutdown the strength of others - at the cost of 7 state troops the resilience and additional buffs he provides outweigh their cost and is utteely worth it.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=164474

Enter here to get yourself worldwide notoriety.

#3 Old 04-22-12, 08:07 PM New Empire Arch Lector, waste of points or totally worth it?
khrone forever
khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

also you get the opportunity to get a war alter, not sure if thats worth it, but it could be.....

see my guard army here

see my Empire army

#4 Old 04-22-12, 08:44 PM New Empire Arch Lector, waste of points or totally worth it?
Vaz

why would you go for an aura when you can use the detachment rule which you already pay through the nose for?

#5 Old 04-23-12, 12:48 AM New Empire Arch Lector, waste of points or totally worth it?
ExtraCrew
ExtraCrew's Flag is: USA

The Aura is so you can stick him between to regimental units and buff both, while the pray rule further extends it the detachments, used it for the first time the other day and was really pleased with the results, when my units reached combat I just moved it around as needed to boost my units that needed it. It also gives a great back up to the regular priests. cast their prayers and if they fail or get dispelled he can back them up and give a good blanket area for prayers. I was playing against TK so the banishment spell also really helped.

#6 Old 04-23-12, 01:21 AM New Empire Arch Lector, waste of points or totally worth it?
karlhunt

I suppose I can't really argue with the benefit of pulling from a separate point pool from my BSB but if it comes down to a choice between a level 2 wizard with an arch lectore or a level 4 wizard with a priest I think the former is the fool's option. My issue with the Arch Lector is that, with the exception of the war altar, he is no better at being a priest than the hero level is. If you are looking for a magic item tote then get a primary combat lord. And the arch lector is no better backup to the dispelling wizard than the regular priest is, unless I missed a rule somewhere...

#7 Old 04-23-12, 01:40 AM New Empire Arch Lector, waste of points or totally worth it?
Vaz

the empire dont have a primary combat lord. the tgm is stuck as cavalry with only cheap throw away units or expensive yet outclassed so called elites (or loses his look out sir) and generals blow next to any and all combat heroes - oldblood, vampires, slaughtermasters even, princes, unkillable dreadlord, khorne heralds, warshrine buffed chaos sorcerors tomb kings are all wandering battlefields these days. and utterly outclass the general. the general is a cheap leadership boost, an arch lector is the same but also grants 3 units hatred and a prayer.

I have to try the altar out sometime then - the aura is a bit too selective so may try a dual altar list, backed by a hurricanum or two.

#8 Old 04-23-12, 02:24 AM New Empire Arch Lector, waste of points or totally worth it?
ExtraCrew
ExtraCrew's Flag is: USA

As an empire player I am sad that we dont have a lord who can take a vampire lord one on one in combat, then I think oh yeah we are only human. The strength of our leaders is that they lead and give buffs, as for the arch lector he is a cheap ld 9 general. If you still wanna take the combat lord take a runefang general or TGM with a 6+ ward save.

My furture list Im building to will have a War alter and both magic alters, for the points the area buffs are really to good to pass look past.

I think a lot of people are looking for problems in the book not for ways to use it to make a killer list. Played several game with the new book vs a wide variety of armys and player skill, I only lost one a team game. I could blame my team mate but he is new player and is still learning and I didnt do enough to help us both.

#9 Old 04-23-12, 02:56 AM New Empire Arch Lector, waste of points or totally worth it?
karlhunt

Also worth mentioning that you can only have one altar.

#10 Old 04-23-12, 10:23 AM New Empire Arch Lector, waste of points or totally worth it?
Vaz

I do realise that empire characters cannot compete with those of other races - even bretons have better thanks to the innate 5+ ward save for dealing with enemy characters.

but that was precisely my point - a tgm with 4 runefang attacks makes what might be the best of a bad job. in the past when empire had one of the few 4+ ward save magic items around outside of special characters they were fairly decent and could go toe to toe with anything shy of a 600 point 'kinig' model like tyriom archaon bloodthirsters or mannfred etc.

now however when everyone has a 4+ ward on their fighter/leader/buffer hero it really limits why you would even bother - not to mention as to why you would even bother going for a 6+ ward save.

a suicide unit of 7-9 reiksguard and a tgm with the other tricksters shard and a runefang might be a good way to use ~400 points in higher games but of course you've got to hope it doesnt get shot or magicked off the board lacking as it does a ward save (although a priest usimg prayer of 5+ ward might help even if it does make it 500 points).

I stand by my opinion that a lector with stubborn hat and backed by a bsb with standard of discipline is the best general you can take as the bsb provides the hold the line.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles > General Warhammer