Why are women in American shows always bloody stupid?

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies

Television and Movies Discuss TV, Movies, Sitcoms and anything else related here.

Why are women in American shows always bloody stupid?

Television and Movies

#1 Old 04-21-12, 09:28 PM Why are women in American shows always bloody stupid?
Sethis
Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Why are women in American shows always bloody stupid?

I'm working my way through 24 and I know it's hardly news but my GOD these women are so fucking stupid!!!

I'm not an equal rights nutter or anything, but how the hell do the script/show writers manage to get away with this shit? If I was a woman I'd be pretty pissed off with this crap. The women seem to do almost nothing except:

- Run away in a stupid fashion e.g not asking for help from anyone on the street and not calling the police, ever.

- Never making intelligent decisions or doing what they are told e.g. "Tell no-one" means they immediately tell someone, or "Stay here" meaning they instantly have to run somewhere else.

- If they're not the helpless and feckless heroine, then they're the evil and scheming enemy.

I know it's not a new thing, but God DAMN this is a bit ridiculous.

Has anyone seen an American show that is not exclusively about women where the women are equally capable as the men, make smart decisions, and generally behave in a competant and effective way? I really can't think of one. The closest I get is the X-Files, and even then Scully always needed rescuing a hell of a lot more than Mulder...

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 04-21-12, 10:15 PM Why are women in American shows always bloody stupid?
Magpie_Oz
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

"Has anyone seen an American show that is not exclusively about women where the women are equally capable as the men, make smart decisions, and generally behave in a competant and effective way? I really can't think of one."

Good Wife.
Grey's Anatomy
ER

most of the others my wife watches while I go and paint.

#3 Old 04-21-12, 10:20 PM Why are women in American shows always bloody stupid?
Jacobite
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Battlestar Galatica mate. Starbuck, quite often kicks more ass than the males. Boomer and Athena as well.

#4 Old 04-21-12, 10:21 PM Why are women in American shows always bloody stupid?
VanquisherMBT
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

Starbuck is a man though

#5 Old 04-21-12, 10:26 PM Why are women in American shows always bloody stupid?
ThatOtherGuy
Making Vidya Games
ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

What the hell are you talking about man? Every show I see women are portrayed as intelligent rational beings while the men act like over grown children or retards. While I do occasionally see the dumb bimbo (on more proper television networks may I remind you), most of the time its the guy is displayed as a total tard.

#6 Old 04-21-12, 11:02 PM Why are women in American shows always bloody stupid?
Iron Angel
Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
What the hell are you talking about man? Every show I see women are portrayed as intelligent rational beings while the men act like over grown children or retards. While I do occasionally see the dumb bimbo (on more proper television networks may I remind you), most of the time its the guy is displayed as a total tard.
Seconded. Its this way in commercials too. In american media men are more often than not displayed as hairless baboons with women having to gently shepherd them towards correctness/clean up their blunders, all the while the men boasting about how their plan succeeded with the woman rolling her eyes in the background because it was actually all her. I rarely see stupid women in TV shows, and those that are are usually just victims in a crime the main characters have to solve, and you don't even learn their name until one of the main characters says it. They're just plot devices. If the plot devices were intelligent, there would be no crime for the main characters to solve.

To add more onto the list:

Bones
Buffy
NCIS
JAG
House

All of them have male and female main characters where the female characters are just as competent as the male ones.

#7 Old 04-21-12, 11:29 PM Why are women in American shows always bloody stupid?
Magpie_Oz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
Seconded. Its this way in commercials too. In american media men are more often than not displayed as hairless baboons with women having to gently shepherd them towards correctness/clean up their blunders, all the while the men boasting about how their plan succeeded with the woman rolling her eyes in the background because it was actually all her.
Oh yeh now ya talking, I get so steamed at nappy (diaper) ads where they show the guy as the bumbling fool or "so easy even a man can do it", I was single parent and did all the poo scooping for my kids !

#8 Old 04-21-12, 11:31 PM Why are women in American shows always bloody stupid?
Magpie_Oz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherMBT View Post
Starbuck is a man though
In the original series yes, in the remake, which I enjoyed a lot more, Starbuck had undergone gender reassignment. Quite successfully too I might add

#9 Old 04-22-12, 08:35 PM Why are women in American shows always bloody stupid?
Sethis
Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well I'll go with the ones I've actually seen:

Quote:
Battlestar Galatica
Yeeah kinda. There are some good bits and bad bits in that. Overall it could be worse. Boomer is the only one I genuinely agree on, because she manages to be successful without invalidating her feminimity.

Quote:
Bones
Yeah, that's a good one - but bear in mind that the main character is only a successful woman because she does not act like a normal woman. The secondary characters all follow gender stereotypes, the men goof around and joke and the women get emotional about babies and relationships. Pretty much an example of what I was talking about.

Quote:
Buffy
Are you serious? Just because the main character is a woman who kills men doesn't make it any less blatantly sexist. I point you at any scene involving Cordelia or Dawn, or any high-school girl. Buffy spends far, far too much time agonising over her fucking relationships (to the point where she can't do her professional job, hint hint) while the people she has relationships with are manly men who are all manly and stuff - and always competant. Willow spends half of her time being unable to fight, and when she finally does learn how to fight it's a bad thing because oh noes, she can't control her power and stuff.

Quote:
House
Really? I have no idea how you pulled equal opportunities out of that one. Cuddy spends her entire time being bullied by House, ineffectually trying to control him as an authority figure, and having to cover for him because he's so amazing she can't afford to lose him. Cameron is the bleeding heart soppy woman, and is overruled every time by her patriarchal figure. Admittedly the whole point is that House overrules everyone regardless of gender, but I really don't see any sexual equality here. Even from the secondary characters, Foreman is the only one to get promoted or show any desire to rise through the ranks (apart from cut-throat bitch, oops, there we go with the stereotyping again), when House tries to recruit the CIA doctor it turns out that she's just pretty and is actually shit at her job.... the list goes on.

Basically, consider this to be the equality test, think about it next time you watch a show:

Is a main character a woman?
Does she talk to other women?
Are they talking about anything other than the male characters?
Are they talking about anything other than "woman things" e.g. emotions, babies etc?

If you answer "Yes" to all of those questions about once per episode, it's a pretty gender-neutral show. Likewise you can look at a scene and mentally reverse the genders of the characters, pretend the man is the woman and vice versa. Does the script become completely absurd? If so, it's probably because they're following gender stereotypes (most often to the detriment of the woman).

Having said all that, I'm not a feminist nut, I'm a bloke. I just look at some of the scenes/plots of these shows and they actually interfere with my suspension of disbelief as to how women are portrayed as behaving (which is why I can never watch horror films, because the women are ALWAYS fucking stupid).

#10 Old 04-22-12, 08:38 PM Why are women in American shows always bloody stupid?
VanquisherMBT
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
In the original series yes, in the remake, which I enjoyed a lot more, Starbuck had undergone gender reassignment. Quite successfully too I might add
The new series never existed, you are mistaken

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Television and Movies