fatmantis 1st tyranid list 1250

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tyranid Army Lists

Tyranid Army Lists

#1 Old 03-21-12, 02:59 PM fatmantis 1st tyranid list 1250
fatmantis
fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

pretty simple got board with smurfs so thought i would try nids. here we go
hq: hive tyrant T/L deathspitter leech/paroxysm
troops: 20 x Tgaunts
1x tervigon /catalyist
20 x Hguants adrenal glands/toxin saxs
8x genestealers adrenal/toxin saxs
elite: doom of malantai /spore
2x hive guard
heavy: trygon
total: 1250

thats about the best my understanding of this army is lots of running up and try kill as much as possable.
but outflank g/stealers deep strike doom/m hive guard to acompany hive tyrant. use the termguants as fodder and try sneaking hormaguants around to flamk. idunno sounds good on paper hahahah
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 03-22-12, 01:48 PM fatmantis 1st tyranid list 1250
MidnightKid333
MidnightKid333's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmantis View Post
thats about the best my understanding of this army is lots of running up and try kill as much as possable.
That is somewhat true, basically the jist of the Tyranids. Although you make it sound as thought the tyranids are just a no-brainer army and simply take close combat units, then rush the enemy. This is untrue. Very Untrue. Tyranids are decisive, tactical, smart bugs that would never do something as simple as zoom straight forwards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Past that, this list lacks synergy. It is scrambled all over the place. I can see what you are doing with the Hive Guard accompanying the Hive Tyrant. Makes a cool shooting platform. I'll assume that the Hive Tyrant is shooting the same stuff as the hive guard, so in that case, the added strength of Brainleech devourers will serve its role better.

also, it is best to surround tanks/light vehicles with your shooting units. This means he has less places to run and you will most likely be forcing him to show side armor to the hive tyrant or Hive Guard.

So, do not put all your specialized shooters in an isolated pack, spread them out, flank the tanks, cut off other heavy infantry tat will take a beating from Impaler cannons and Brainleech Devourers.

As for your list, it has far too many upgrades. Tyranids are meant to be kept cheap! So you have the points for more support, more MSUs, or even another unit of genestealers to really surround his flanks.

As a simple guideline: (of which I copy pasted from my sig)
  • Do not Multi-task your units (unless other-wise stated)
  • Keep it cheap
  • have a horde unit
  • always include the Doom of Malan'tai
  • always include some outflanking genestealers
  • Do not cheap-out on the support
This will equal a reasonable and very basic tyranid army. Notice that I did not mention "always include a Monstrous creature". I left that point out for a reason. Monstrous creatures are optional. Tyranids still kick ass without them.

Why not multitask your units?

The way tyranids multitask results in them being mediocre in shooting and mediocre in combat. there are a very small amount of units that can still multitask though. Which are the Tyranid prime and the hive Tyrant. the tyranid prime can multitask because his multitasking build is still quite cheap (boneslash whip and deathspitter for a cool 100). the Hive tyrant can multitask and be a support with this build:

Hive Tyrant
Old Adversary for combat
2 Twin-linked brainleech devourers for ideal shooting
Wings or armored shell
leech essense
paroxysm

I usually choose wings, because they can prove more useful that added defense if in the right hands. Armored shell is viable too, though. Tyrant Guard are just superfluous though. You do not need that much defense on a simple tyrant.

Okay, Right! the list!

I would buff your termagaunts to a strong reliable 30, so they can be a better shield. I always have at least 60 in my lists, though, because termagaunts are so cheap and useful for tarpitting, swamping an objective, blocking LoS, and just cramming the table with models. Makes the game more fun, in my opinion. I usually use one of the groups to swamp down a dreadnought. I've done it to Imperial Guard Sentinels, ork deffdreads and basic marine dreadnoughts. Do not tarpit a blood talon dreadnought, though. You will get clobbered.

Quote:
20 Hormaguants
adrenal glands
toxin sacs

8 genestealers
adrenal glands
toxin sacs
Too many upgrades, man. All the genestealers need are Toxin sacs, so they get a second chance to rend their (most likely) toughness 4 enemy. Adrenal glands are just superfluous and you are throwing away points to make them even more deadly than they already are. unless you have plans of charging initiative 6 Grey knights, leave Adrenal Glands at home or take a swarmlord, then buff the Genestealers with furious charge from the swarmlord.

But do not take a swarmlord purely for the buff! Take him if you truly need him, then keep in mind that buffing genestealers with furious charge is an awesome idea.

Removing Adrenal Glands from each unit here will net you 46 points. I have given you some suggestions of units to add and upgrades to take, so do what you want with these points.

The Trygon

I usually Give Adrenal glands to my trygon and nothing more. This lets me do a better job at killing tanks. Without adrenal glands, any glances on tanks would have been a penetration with adrenal glands! Think of it that way. The initiative 5 is a cool bonus, too.

Note: You may have noticed I did not address some of the units in the list. this is because there is nothing to talk about with them. Those units are just great. nice work adding them.

Quote:
but outflank g/stealers deep strike doom/m hive guard to acompany hive tyrant. use the termguants as fodder and try sneaking hormaguants around to flamk.
you did not mention the Trygon was deepstriking. He is deepstriking, correct? With all the other units that are doing the same, it would be a cool decision.

Last edited by MidnightKid333; 03-22-12 at 01:50 PM.

#3 Old 03-22-12, 02:00 PM fatmantis 1st tyranid list 1250
fatmantis

uuuummm wow what can i say..... thanks for the time on this its is very very informative, i didn't expect anybody to give me such a response. rest assured that the time was well spent, the changes will be made forthwith, whats your opinon on boivores?

#4 Old 03-22-12, 02:13 PM fatmantis 1st tyranid list 1250
MidnightKid333

oh my goodness. biovores are epic. A measly 135 points ensures that any light infantry are dealt with.

some people have called them the greatest artillery in the game. Including me. I know, I know; the imperial guard have all these epic strength 10 AP1 kill machines with a million range, but artillery is not meant to be strength 10 AP1. You are killing infantry here. It is just 135 points for three of them. That is incredibly cheap. They are also plenty of fun if they scatter, because they spawn the spore miens which act as an awesome distraction.

I personally use them in a group of 1 and a group of 2, so I can cover more units with large blasts. They are glorious when clearing out guardsmen that are protecting tanks.

Necrons also feel the hurt from biovores. Any army lacking in the Fearless USR will wish biovores and the spore mine launcher never existed.

Some weirdos say that the biocvre is not strong ehough. I call those people greedy! The biovore already violates infantry. Anymore strength would just drive the price up.

Hopefully someone else will share their opinion on biovores, though. they are loved or they are hated in most cases.

This guy seems to agree with me, though.

Last edited by MidnightKid333; 03-22-12 at 02:17 PM.

#5 Old 03-22-12, 02:20 PM fatmantis 1st tyranid list 1250
fatmantis

yeah ive been watching a lot of his vids, thats what made me ask, hmmm now to free up some points.. maybe drop the trygon add 3 biovores, and still have 60 od point left

#6 Old 03-22-12, 02:29 PM fatmantis 1st tyranid list 1250
MidnightKid333

Both the trygon and biovores are very useful. In the end, It is which you think will serve you better. Try them both out on the table and see which you lean towards, I suppose. I cannot decide which is better.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Tyranid Army Lists