Venris Angelus- Homebrew Chapter

Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff > Homebrew 40k Fluff

Homebrew 40k Fluff

#1 Old 03-16-12, 02:45 AM Venris Angelus- Homebrew Chapter
VixusKragov
VixusKragov's Flag is: USA

(Feel free to correct any lore mistakes, and offer any criticism or praise on this Chapter. This Chapter was created with the help of the Deathwatch:Rites of Battle book, and hundreds of visits to both the Lexicanum and Warhammer 40k Wiki)

The Venris Angelus

Warcry:

"Forward, for Sanguine blood and Neurian glory!"

Origins:

The Venris Angelus was created during the 36th Millennium, in the timeframe of Daemon Prince Doombreed’s 5th Black Crusade. Their founder and greatest hero, Venris Constantine, was chosen to use his gene-seed for his deeds and the purity of his gene-seed. Thus, the Venris Angelus was created, Successors of the Blood Angels.
Gene-Seed:

The Venris Angelus are a Successor Chapter to the Blood Angels. Attempts were made to breed out the Black Rage, and though unsuccessful they introduced a new genetic difference, giving the Astartes of the Venris Angelus Chapter purely red irises. Contact remains with their Progenitor Chapter, though the Venris Angelus prefers to make their own history rather than piggyback off the Blood Angels.
Demeanor:

They uphold the honor of their Primarch, Sanguinius, proving their honor to him in their every action. As Sanguinius did against Horus in the Battle of Terra, they bow down to no odds, attacking fast and hard. They prefer frontal assaults rather than sneaking in the shadows, letting the enemy know their doom is upon them. They are quick to anger and to jest, and eagerly await every battle with the enemy. Much like their Progenitors the Blood Angels, deep within their psyche lies a destructive yearning, a battle fury and blood hunger that must be held in abeyance every waking moment. The Red Thirst, though, brings with it a humility and understanding of their own failings which make them some of the most noble of the Adeptus Astartes.

Chapter Flaw (Credit to COMPNOR):
Their honor is their greatest strength, and weakness. Preferring close combat, it is often easy to lead them into unfavorable positions, as they struggle to close with the enemy.

The mistrust between Chapters makes it difficult for battles to be coordinated. Some Chapters outright refuse to work with them, and their desire to close with the enemy often means they act before they should. And while the Ordo Malleus has respect, due to the high number of Psykers and the fact they draw recruits from a Pysker potent world, they are under constant watch by the Inquisition and the Ecclesiarchy.

Chapter Legends:

Venris Constantine is this Chapter’s first and greatest. He was a Captain within the Blood Angels, his devotion and heroism winning many battles. During the 5th Black Crusade, he was with the legions assaulting Chaos-controlled worlds.After leading his Company to take back three worlds, he slew a Daemon Prince, after cleaving his way through the enemy forces with his brothers. In honor of his deeds, they chose his gene-seed when a new Chapter was needed to Crusade against Doombreed. His gene-seed was used to begin a new chapter, the Venris Angelus. Afterwards, he gathered the bulk of the Astartes, following the beaten-back Chaos forces into the Warp. He is believed to be there still, eternally fighting Sanguinius’ enemies, perhaps to return someday.
Chapter World:

The Fortress-Monastery of the Venris Angelus (named Constantine) is located on a Medieval World thought to be uncharted, in the Stygian System of the Calixis Sector. The Fortress-Monastery is regarded as a Keep for the strongest warriors,its great black spires able to be seen from far off. The world, called by locals Neuria, is ruled by a system of nations and kings, and the greatest warriors are often these Kings. Each year at the ocean’s most tumultuous, the greatest warriors from all over this world travel through the ocean to reach Constantine. They fight against each other for the chance of joining the Venris Angelus. The population reveres The Emperor and Sanguinius as gods, among other smaller local beliefs. The climate of this world is very temperate, featuring a variety of different landscapes. Each landscape exists on large islands of land separated by oceans. Islands dot the entire world, meaning many nations exist with different cultures. It's make-up consists of many different minerals, much like Terra's lands, though the minerals are focused on islands rather than spread out.The Venris Angelus serve as distant harbingers to the population, their emergence and recruitment is regarded as a major event.
Organization:

The Venris Angelus does not adhere to the Codex strictly, though they do not completely disregard it either. While recognizing its value, they feel not all of its lessons are applicable on the battlefield. Their style of combat is rather unique, as they deploy onto a planet in drop pods. Unlike other Chapters that utilize this, however, they deploy in such large numbers and so suddenly they serve more as a Lightning Strike squad. When they emerge from their pods, they tend to stick to close combat, ripping their enemies apart with their power swords. They do not completely disregard the use of ranged weapons, but close combat is considered much more honorable. They do not often use vehicles, only using the fastest versions when they do so as to keep high mobility. Their war gear is often blessed by the Chaplains, providing them a holy edge in battle. They revere the Primarch Sanguinius above all, even the Emperor. Though they have no lack of faith in the Emperor, they believe( like many Chapters) that he is less of a god and more of a guide.

One thing that truly sets the Venris Angelus apart from other Chapters is their amount of Librarians, and their role. Instead of the more usual Librarian roles, nearly all of the Angelus Librarians are used for battle.The world they recruit from has an unusually high amount of psykers, who often become warriors due to their people’s ways. This often leads to them participating in the gladiatorial competitions, and they are noticed by the Venris Angelus. They are remarkably well-adjusted to their talents due to the millennia of training first passed to the villages by the Venris Angelus, and now from the Elders of the nations.
The Venris Angelus are slightly under strength at the moment, missing the majority of a company, and listing at 921 marines for now. They are finally recovering from the huge losses when Venris took the bulk of them into the Warp to fight back the remainders of the 5th Black Crusade. The Venris Angelus have earned fearsome enemies in the form of the “Beasts of Annihilation”, the Renegade Space Marine War band known for letting demons possess their bodies. The Ecclesiarchy regards them as borderline heretical because of how many Librarian Astartes they have, and the Librarians' role. Much of the Ordo Malleus respect the Venris Angelus for their renowned acts of battle prowess against demons. The Angelus and the Space Wolves worked together on several missions during the Black Crusades, and because of the Angelus’ skills in combat, they gained an ally in the Wolves. This bond has only grown throughout time, as the Angelus and the Space Wolves fight together more.

Ranks and Armor:

Chapter-Master

Brother-Captain

Veteran Battle-Brother

Sergeant

Battle-Brother

Special Units:

Chaplain

Tech-Marine

Librarian

Devestator

Terminator

Death Company Soldier:

Death Company Terminator:

Sanguinary Guard
(Not Pictured)

NOTE: Some of these have other Chapters' marks on their right shoulder. This is to add some color to the picture. The Heraldry at the top of the page is what would be represented on their right shoulder in actuality.

Last edited by VixusKragov; 03-19-12 at 03:54 AM.
Sponsored Links

#2 Old 03-16-12, 05:22 AM Venris Angelus- Homebrew Chapter
Thebluemage2

Glad you got a good name!

I think you did a great job with this,heck I can take some pointers from you in some regards!

Very good chapter,but one very small nitpick,Very,very,very few chapters worship the emperor as a god,they see him as a father figure to be respected,nothing much,but I just wanted to point that out.

Once agan,good job-thebluemage

#3 Old 03-16-12, 06:10 AM Venris Angelus- Homebrew Chapter
VixusKragov

Ah so the Ecclesiarchy wouldn't be mad about that? Okay, thanks, that helps

#4 Old 03-16-12, 07:59 PM Venris Angelus- Homebrew Chapter
Thebluemage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VixusKragov View Post
Ah so the Ecclesiarchy wouldn't be mad about that? Okay, thanks, that helps

Well,they get pissed off,but they are used to it and tolerate it{Tolerance in the Imperioum,crazy huh?}

No problem by the way, i need to go add a picture to my fluff now....

#5 Old 03-16-12, 08:25 PM Venris Angelus- Homebrew Chapter
VixusKragov

If by a picture you mean making the color scheme for your Marines, I highly recommend using these programs from Bolter & Chainsword:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smpbeta.php -- Space Marine
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/tsmp.php ---Terminator Armor
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/csmp.php ---Chaos Space Marine

And this version of the space marine painter is sub-standard compared to the other, but you can pull colors from it:http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smp.php

#6 Old 03-16-12, 09:12 PM Venris Angelus- Homebrew Chapter
Thebluemage2

Thank you kindly! Now My search is at a end!

+1 REP for adding to the fandom.

#7 Old 03-17-12, 08:17 PM Venris Angelus- Homebrew Chapter
gridge

I like this a lot, especially since it's a Blood Angels successor (I have one myself). The background and color scheme are both very well done. + rep for you.

#8 Old 03-18-12, 03:06 AM Venris Angelus- Homebrew Chapter
COMPNOR

Not bad. I'm guessing the flaw bit is from Rites of Passage? Because I don't really see it as a flaw. Maybe if you expanded on it:

"Due to their preference for close-range, this causes the Angelus to rush headlong into battle, sometimes without thinking. While brutal and effective, their style of combat often sees high losses. Recruitment has trouble keeping up."

Or:

"Their honor is their greatest strength, and weakness. Preferring close combat, it is often easy to lead them into unfavorable positions, as they struggle to close with the enemy."

"The mistrust between Chapters makes it difficult for battles to be coordinated. Some Chapters outright refuse to work with them, and their desire to close with the enemy often means they act before they should. And while the Ordo Malleus has respect, due to the high number of Psykers and the fact they draw recruits from a Pysker potent world, they are under constant watch by the Inquisition."

Just some thoughts.

#9 Old 03-18-12, 03:44 AM Venris Angelus- Homebrew Chapter
VixusKragov

Thanks Compnor, I had an off feeling about that when I typed it and now I know why. Editing it now, +rep for the help!

#10 Old 03-18-12, 10:16 AM Venris Angelus- Homebrew Chapter
COMPNOR

Well aw hell, if I knew you were going to use it verbatim I would have fancied it up some for you. How I wrote it is kinda crude.

Glad I could be of help though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff > Homebrew 40k Fluff